Russia flies new fighter prototype

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by codbutt, Jan 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sukhoi has just flown its T-50 fighter prototype.
    It's on if you fancy a peek.
  2. I think you'll find that fighter planes are a luxury that civilised countries can't afford, so this story has no relevance whatsoever. :p
  3. #

We're still spunking squillions up the wall on last year's model.

Oh. I see what you mean about 'civilised'.
  4. Who said Russia was a civilised country? Most Russians will put you straight on that one, no bother.
  5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Interesting. Bet it is cheaper than a f-22 too.

Russians may not have the capability of the US in technology but they have a tradition of making job stuff.

Expect to see it run out a lot quicker than anything western as well.
  6. I see they've got a joint development plan with India too. Given that we throw India hundreds of millions, does this mean we are indirectly funding the Russian military?
  7. So is this going to render the RAF's Typhoon's obselete within a few years then? Bearing in mind that these are the UK's primary AD fighters and that F35 is optimised for air-to-ground?
  8. "Perfect" is the enemy of "good enough" Admiral Gorshkov had that hung on his wall and the Russians live by it.

They will always accept the 90% solution rather than do what we do, spend another 5 years and £Billions trying to get a perfect answer.

A perfect example of the Russian thinking is the Sukhoi SU-27. We design the turbines on our fighters at huge expense to make them able to withstand foreign object ingestion without wrecking themselves… the Russians? Some mesh screens in the intakes and a mudguard on the nosewheel… cheap, simple and works perfectly.

Current Sukhoi's run about 50-75% of comparable Western fighters, so I would expect the PAK-FA to not only undercut the already late and very expensive stealthy F-35 by a good margin, it's going to have a much higher performance too.
  9. Reminds me that NASA spent a lot making a pen that would write in space, soviet cosmonauts used pencils.

Very Russian.

10. Worth noting that the Russian Air Force hopes to acquire it by 2015. That's bloody fast work.
  11. I hope to win the Lottery by 2012. Hope is not a strategy (I didn't make that up, but I wish I had).
  12. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

They have more chance of achieving 2015 than you ever have of winning the lottery :D
  13. When you hope to win the lottery its like hoping the MoD will sort out the F 35 on time. I suspect the Russian Air Force (and Government) and its design bureaus have a rather different relationship dynamic.
  14. I would imagine so....

Russian Air Force: This is what we want with X,Y & Z

Design Bureau after a couple of years: This is what your'e getting, it does X & Y, but can't do Z, take it or leave it!

15. The big advantage they have is they don't gold plate the designs with nice to haves and push the projects out into the long grass for years.

Take the SU-27, the Russian AF wanted a fighter, they got a fighter that was just that, a fighter - You want to drop bombs? OK, that will mean a follow on design Comrade General, meanwhile, here is your fighter.