Russia 'considering returning Snowdon to the US' - Telegraph

Russia 'considering returning whistleblower Edward Snowden to the US' - reports
Obviously, 'considering' doesn't mean 'will', but it's interesting that that Putin may play the Snowden card (and let's be honest, a card to play is all he is to the Russians). I don't doubt it will, if it ever happens, be the result of some wheeling and dealing and quite probably involve the loosening of sanctions. It'd certainly be interesting to analyse any deal made.

Snowden in a US court, quite a coup for Trump and my goodness can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst the placard-waving fraternity. It'd be hilarious.

<Edited to please the pedants :roll: >

Last edited:

tgo

Old-Salt
Might be a bit of an own goal, if Russia gets form for loving and leaving them, no one else in the future will go over, robbing them of future intel, I reckon he'll stay.

Well, all his 'intel' is pre Trump, so why not throw him to the new Administrations dogs for some brownie points?

Useful exercise in that it would show no matter where you go as a whistle blower the US authorities will eventually catch up with you.

Might be a bit of an own goal, if Russia gets form for loving and leaving them, no one else in the future will go over, robbing them of future intel, I reckon he'll stay.
Good point, but if he was not one of theirs but merely an asylum seeker, they might be inclined to send him back in the new spirit of cooperation and not too bothered either way. Byzantine neh? Clever Mr Putin.

Russia has usually treated its hosted traitors and defectors very badly (or, more accurately, like normal Russian citizens). Philby ended his days in ignominious squalor, homesick for Blighty, others didn't even get his meagre pension and apartment benefits.

The problem is that the sort of people who betray a liberal democracy and go running to Russia or China for sanctuary are clearly lacking a firm grasp of reality - not un-coincidentally a strong feature of many/most on the Left...

Russia has usually treated its hosted traitors and defectors very badly (or, more accurately, like normal Russian citizens). Philby ended his days in ignominious squalor, homesick for Blighty, others didn't even get his meagre pension and apartment benefits.

The problem is that the sort of people who betray a liberal democracy and go running to Russia or China for sanctuary are clearly lacking a firm grasp of reality - not un-coincidentally a strong feature of many/most on the Left...

The Russians have always had a very 'robust' attitude to what they perceive as traitors.

During WWII, any Germans lifted for interrogation would normally be handed over to SMERSH for interrogation.
If you refused to talk or knew nothing and survived the torture, you'd normally be taken out the back and shot, but if the mood took them and you could still walk, you might be handed back to the Army and sent to a POW cage.
If you talked, they always took you out the back afterwards and shot you on the principle you were a 'filthy traitor'.

They were equally ruthless with their own. They allegedly tied a Russian military double agent to a stretcher in the 60's and shoved him into the central heating furnace in from of his fellow officers pour encourage les autres not to betray their Motherland.

Is getting Snowden back worth loosening the sanctions on Russia? As Putin's Russia has proved itself to be such a good global citizen. Sometimes when you have a guy pissing into your tent and invite him inside he'll just piss on your pocket.
I can't see it myself, seems like it would be better to hold the line rather than go wobbly over giving one guy a load of publicity and the opportunity to the Left to make him into a martyr, it'd be Bradley/Chelsea Manning all over again.

Is getting Snowden back worth loosening the sanctions on Russia? As Putin's Russia has proved itself to be such a good global citizen. Sometimes when you have a guy pissing into your tent and invite him inside he'll just piss on your pocket.
I can't see it myself, seems like it would be better to hold the line rather than go wobbly over giving one guy a load of publicity and the opportunity to the Left to make him into a martyr, it'd be Bradley/Chelsea Manning all over again.

Manning et al are just knobs spilling the not terribly damaging beans..

Snowdon is a whole different kettle of fish - he's revealing the 'Crown Jewels' the secrets of the signals analysis the US and others use to get inside the minds and networks of the other side.

Information is golden - but how you go about getting it is priceless.

Ah I see the difference, thank you.
But my question still stands: Is getting him back worth letting Russia back in seeing as it is not really trustworthy?

But my question still stands: Is getting him back worth letting Russia back in seeing as it is not really trustworthy?

If an offer is on the table, Putin could probably name his price.
Snowdon's return would be worth a very great deal to the US.

It's worth getting him back so he can be put before the courts and the truth exposed.

His version of events, eagerly lapped up by the usual suspects, needs to be thoroughly exposed.

I suspect that at this very monent Snowdon is rapidly growing a a beard and reading up on Islam :)
It's no use Russia wanting rid of him if the USA wont take him back :)