Russia: Chechen Fugitive Charged as Killer of Journalist in

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by redgrain, May 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Russia: Chechen Fugitive Charged as Killer of Journalist in 2006

By C. J. CHIVERS
    Published: May 13, 2008

Investigators in Moscow said they had charged a man with killing Anna Politkovskaya, the independent journalist shot in a contract-style killing in 2006. They said they had issued an international arrest warrant for the man, Mustam Makhmudov, who was described as a 34-year-old Chechen and the “executor of the crime.” The authorities have arrested several other men in the case and have said they believe that the crime was ordered from abroad, a contention Ms. Politkovskaya’s friends have said is meant to divert attention from people in Russia who ordered her killing. Ms. Politkovskaya, a special correspondent at the newspaper Novaya Gazeta, was an unflinching critic of Vladimir V. Putin, the former president.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/13/world/europe/13briefs-CHECHENFUGIT_BRF.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper&oref=slogin

2. Anyone else find this a wee bit suspicious? Of course, Mr. Putin had nothing to do with her murder. :roll:

3. Ms.Politkovskaya was a personal friend of Mr.Beresovsky and Mr.Akhmed Zakayev (Beslan) and was hated by disproportionate majority of people of Russia. She was involved in smuggling Chechen "freedom fighters" abroad after the war (guess how many of them ended up in UK :D ). Those who live by cloak and dagger die that way.

4. I don't agree with you Domovoy.

I can't say that I liked ms.Politkovskaya but no doubt that she was a brave woman and anyway I didn't hate her. She was also American citizen and acted in interests of her second (or maybe really the first motherland).

From my point of view the Kremlin regarded her as an usefull idiot. Her very existence, her articles gave Russian authorities ability to rant about freedon of speech in Russia.

Really ms.Politkovskaya investigated some relatively minor wrongdoings in Chechnya and didn't create any problems for Putin and his crew. However, some criminal and semicriminal structures (allegedly connected to Moscow's puppets) in Chechnya really hated her. For them she was a source of headache.

As I'm aware the name of the main suspect was discovered long ago. And likely he is dead (also long ago). It is a common practice among criminals - to kill executioner.

Who really has ordered the murder? I fear the question will remain unanswered.

5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

That'll be 'Wanted Suspect', surely?

The Chechnya Mafia are a prickly bunch of thugs and nothing surprises me in Russia these days. Like KGB says, we'll never know.

6. Exactly my point. Politkovskaya was in no way a "conscience of Russia" or an "unflinching critic" of whatever. Her only "bravery" was in getting herself tanggled up with Beresovsky and Chechen mafia clans. She was a corrupt greedy journalist.

But I'm glad you didn't hate her, Sergey, you are a better person than I am.

PS
    I remember Russia had another madwoman, an "unflinching critic" that use to get herself in a spot-light every now and then. Can't recall her name...

7. Churchill said this of Russia in October 1939

"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

These words are as true today as they were 70 years ago. The moral of the story is do not get involved with Russia if you can help it, Russia is a nation of unending and grinding misery for the ordinary person. From the last Tsar to Putin nothing changes for those poor Russians.

KGB - do you think your future is any brighter than it was for your countrymen in 1917, 1945, 1986, the summer of 1991 or any other "watershed" date when everything was supposed to get better?

8. Domovoy, there is another 'fierce critic' of mr.Putin - ms.Valeriya Novodvorskaya.

[​IMG]

Edited. One photo of this witch is enough.

9. :D
    Yes! That's the one! :D

10. Riddle, mystery, enigma... Nothing close to it. Russia now is just a capitalist country with wast natural reserves, huge territory and not the most stupid people in the World. Yes Russia has a bright future at least in coming decades. What would happen 25-50 yeas later only God knows.

1917 - the revolution. Many believed in a better future under influence of communist propaganda.
    1945 - the majority were happy because they avoided German slavery
    1986 - only fools believed mr.Gorbachev (a great fool himself) However, there were hopes that at least something would change.
    1991 - national disaster. The thieves (like mr.Abramovitch) began to stole national wealth. However many were influenced by 'democratic' propaganda.

11. If you allow me to add few thoughts to what Sergey already said about Russian mystery and enigma...

I can't remember who said it: While Romans build roads Greeks created metaphysics. Orthodox cultures = metaphysics, soul searching, irrational... Roman/Catholic cultures = "road building", rational, pragmatic...
    And that is the bottom line of The Mystery: rephrasing John Gray, -- West is from Mars; Russia is from Venus.
    Problems come when westerners try to judge and predict Russians from Western perspective and get surprised things don't go according to their predictions.

And that mistake reflects on a perception of "poor, unhappy Russkies".
    1914--1925 -- WW1/Revolution/Civil war (including foreign intervention). Hard times. Industry and agriculture almost completely destroyed; immeasurable human losses; mass emigration...
    Late 1920-th--1941 when the West suffers from Great Depression, Soviet Union (a huge country!) lives through its economic and cultural boom. An amazing achievement considering the circumstances! Were people happy? According to my grandparents -- yes. What did they think of repressions? My great-grandmother mentioned few times a relative of hers that was accused of being "an enemy of people". The family didn't believe accusations, thought his was a case of tragic miscarriage of justice, but all other "enemies of the state" were probably rightfully accused, there can be no smoke without fire... That's what they thought.
    1950-1970 -- my parents enjoyed their youth: travelling, camping, restaurants, sea-side, good jobs, hopes for the future...
    My generation grew up with a cynical streak, but I enjoyed my share of student life complete with restaurants, travels and adventures...
    Did we have as many gadgets as westerners? Of course, not. Did we snivel and whine about our circumstances, government and injustices of life? Of course, we did! But we also enjoyed what we had.

It's only in Hollywood films bears are walking on the streets of Moscow gripped by eternal winter gloom and doom.

12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I'd agree. Its a deflection backed by a cut-out underpinned by a convenient fall guy. Ask Litvinenko. Oops, you cant. When it comes to self serving deviousness you guys make us look like Mother Theresa.

Remember the Moscow bombings when a lot of bags of Hexagen under an apartment block in Ryazan turned out to be sugar and it was all a FSB training excercise? They were making toffee one assumes. Which is pretty well what that story was.

On the basis of that crock alone, you'll forgive us if we dont swallow any story coming out of Moscow?

True. I have met some very smart Russians. But why do you send all the fat, stupid blinged-up ones down to Nice every summer?

13. If you prefer to swallow from "free unbiased" media... :D

14. You seem to have missed out a few things dear Boy, a certain famine being one of them, I am sure that its tens of millions of victims would not share your Grandparents sunny memories, had they survived. Or in the Soviet paradise maybe Ukranians do not count.....

15. Yes, they do count. There were actually two famines: 1921-1922 (in some places 1921-1923) in Povolzhye, Ukraine and Crimea -- a direct result of the war; 1932-1933 in Northern Caucasus, Povolzhye, Central Russia, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Western Siberia, Southern Ural, Southern Russia, etc. -- a result of Stalin's class war on farmers that were viewed by him as backward pro-capitalist class.
    With "tens of millions of victims" you went a bit over the board, thought...

Let's get something straight: no one is talking about "paradise", but on balance the living standard, level of education, medical care and work/career prospects and leisure opportunities in pre-war Soviet Union were higher than in Western Europe and USA for absolute majority of the citizens.

And if you feel outraged at such non-PC comment, why don't we play a game: you pick up all the negative information on life in the West prior to the war, and I'll do the same with regard to the USSR? Could be interesting.