Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I oppose

• Absolutely unacceptable

• NATO? It will be disbanded soon.

• Total voters
If Russia sorts its domestic political issues out over the next ten-fifteen years and (I hope) joins Nato a few years after that, then as far as the UK is concerned, the conventional threat to Britain is gone for good and we and many others can live happily ever after. It would be a hell of a privilege to be alive on that day, if you think about everything that has gone before it.

How to do it? Well there was a report by a Medevev-leaning think-tank released a couple of weeks ago that recommended dismantling the FSB and a host of other internal reforms (do you have a link Serg?). If that could be pushed through, of course making sure Putin had gone for good, and some security system could be worked out to give confidence to the Baltic states, together with a final settlement with regards to Ukraine, it could be done.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I suspect that once all the countries of the world have all entered into friendly organisations such as this, we will see the end of war, as everyone will be tied to their agreements, a bit like before WW1 . . . . . . oh

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Germany was a democracy before WW2, just before Brown, sorry, Hitler became Chancellor. He took every other European democracy to war.

Nations accept the heavy costs of alliances largely to mitigate threats and their unity of purpose requires these to be credible to be maintained. NATO was largely cooked up as anti-USSR alliance, its remaining function if it really has one (skepticism is growing in the US i.e. where it matters) is at least to contain and intimidate an unpredictable Russia. It is not even doing that very well.

With China economically joined at the hip with the US/Walmart the very idea of Russia joining NATO seems underline its pointlessness. Do we really need a heavily militarized UN that's unlikely to agree on an adversary apart from the odd random towel heads?

codbutt said:
When Russia has a government that doesn't belong in the 15th century, I'm all for it.
Seconded, I mean how can you have a country that has an inept public figure as leader, while the 'shady' man behind him actually runs things?

Madness 8O

parapauk said:
If Russia sorts its domestic political issues out over the next ten-fifteen years and (I hope) joins Nato a few years after that, then as far as the UK is concerned, the conventional threat to Britain is gone for good and we and many others can live happily ever after. It would be a hell of a privilege to be alive on that day, if you think about everything that has gone before it.

How to do it? Well there was a report by a Medevev-leaning think-tank released a couple of weeks ago that recommended dismantling the FSB and a host of other internal reforms (do you have a link Serg?). If that could be pushed through, of course making sure Putin had gone for good, and some security system could be worked out to give confidence to the Baltic states, together with a final settlement with regards to Ukraine, it could be done.
Indeed a prominent MP from Putin's party (The United Russia) mr.Markov proposed in November last year to disband the ministry of internal affairs (that includes the police). But mr.Putin rejected this idea later.

Btw, recently pres.Medvedev fired two key deputies of the minister (Putin's appointee mr.Nurgaliev who came from the secret sevice). Aslo pres.Medvedev declared deep reforms in the Minisrty of internal affairs with halving of central apparatus.

Personally I doubt that anything would change soon.

As for dismantling of the FSB then I hear about for the first time. However, maybe those who proposed it are always in 'Lubyanka undegrounds'. :D

leveller said:
codbutt said:
When Russia has a government that doesn't belong in the 15th century, I'm all for it.
Seconded, I mean how can you have a country that has an inept public figure as leader, while the 'shady' man behind him actually runs things?

Madness 8O
I don't think it is a problem. Just regard mr.Medvedev as a monarch and mr.Putin as a PM (btw, he is indeed a PM).

There are many other problems in Russia.

Interesting idea. That said, anything could change in the space of 5 years, its highly unpredictable what state everything will be in.

In all fairness, most of the time it seems like its mainly the US and the UK working together - the French are too prissy to work with them, the Germans are a bit too busy getting drunk, and the Dutch are having a few internal problems. While NATO would work in theory... It doesn't in actuality, with the US and UK taking the brunt of the work. And the causalities, none surprisingly.

In regards to the Ruskies joining, I can't really see it happening, unless theres serious concessions by the US and Russia to allow that to happen.

KGB_resident said:
leveller said:
codbutt said:

Madness 8O
I don't think it is a problem. Just regard mr.Medvedev as a monarch and mr.Putin as a PM (btw, he is indeed a PM).

There are many other problems in Russia.
You missed the parallel to Gordon Brown and Lord Mandleson?

There are many other problems in this country as well.

Russia (or the USSR) applied to join NATO back in 1953 if memory serves..

Meanwhile, in the "here and now" I would welcome Russia into NATO. It would make more sense to have them as part of the Alliance than it does, spannering about with Georgia et al which - from a Russian PoV - looks like the old fear of "encirclement" again: China to the East / South East, NATO / EU (now comprising many former WarPac states happily flicking the "vees" at their former Over Lords) and ungovernable, unpredictable Muslims to the South, who - despite the love of un-embargoed Russian arms - have no love for "the White Man" and indeed their former Russian / Soviet occupiers.

Despite present difficulties in Russia (which I am not dismissing out of hand, but we all have an idea of them) is Russia really any better / worse in the area of Human Rights etc than some of the other states we interact with on a regular basis?

Whilst there may not be an credible "conventional" threat to Western Europe (at present...) the inclusion of Russia in NATO would probably reap benefits outside of the traditional area of NATO responsibility: Would a NATOised Russia be aiding and abetting Hugo Chavez or the Ayatollahs if the need to annoy the Americans was gone?

Also – in a World consumed by Green Issues (rightly or wrongly) what about the benefits from using the Tran Siberian railway to move goods from China or the (ice free?) Arctic route w/o fear of interdiction or interference?

And then, in 50 years time, what about allowing China to join? Just a thought, as “democracy” seems to be a condition of joining. I have a bet at William Hill’s to this effect: GBP 10.00 that China will not be Communist by 2017. It is my “Olympic Theory” – Nazi Germany; Olympics 1936, defunct by 1945. USSR; Olympics in 1980, collapsed c. 1989… Beijing Olympics 2008… Now, If we could see Gordon Brown and his goons gone by 2021…

C_P

Latest Threads