Russia approves 65 per cent defence budget increase

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Semper_Flexibilis, Jul 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Didn't take Vlad long to sense an opportunity.

"…The annual budget will rise from the equivalent of £26 billion this year to around £43 billion in 2013 with much of the money earmarked for major hardware and equipment upgrades in the army, navy and air force.
    The spending boost is part of an ambitious £276 billion rearmament programme to re-equip Russia's conventional forces between now and 2020.…"

Russia approves 65 per cent defence budget increase - Telegraph
  2. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Good job we are ramping up our budget and strenghtening our ties the Good Old USA......Oh no sorry wrong again.
  3. It would be interesting to know how much of the massive US defence budget is tied up in personnel costs (wages, accomodation, food, pensions etc, etc) though.

Although the Russian defence budget is nowhere near the US' (and probably won't ever be), I wonder what they need to spend to be able to match the US, or even what they need to spend to seriously worry the US again?
  4. My bet would be that the Kremlin have been sweating that very question since the fall of the Soviet Union. Or possibly the one about how much they need to spend to stop being worried by the US.
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Or just maybe they are a tad more worried about China. Must be great being the Rooskies with lots of enemies to choose from. Not like UK who are friends with everyone so are able to slash their defence budget.
  6. My take is that they're planning ahead for the time when the US isn't bogged down in pointless conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. At the moment the US lacks a reserve, lacks the ability to project force and still prosecute current conflicts and as a result the Russians have been quietly but firmly rolling back US influence in the near abroad while making nice with old Europe. Both of these things conflict with US strategic interests but thanks to the frankly stupid choices they made post 9/11 there isn't a damn thing they can do about them at the moment.

So the Russians need to get their conventional forces up to scratch for the day when Washington will be in a position to do something about it. This means the (for them) unprecedented and siesmic shift to all professional armed forces. That's where most of the money will be going.
  7. ops and we are cutting yet another balls up thax brown and co for trashing the UK's account.
  8. On CSIS Russia Plans 60% Increase in Defense Budget by 2013 By a very skeptical Oliver Bloom
    Looking at some of the kit they are prioritizing I think this is more about doling big wobbly chunks of pork to industry interests Pentagon style than preparing to cheekily roll their armor into their near abroad once more.