RUSI Land Warfare Conference

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by alfred_the_great, Jun 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A bit surprised that this hasn't been discussed, but there we go.

Some interesting pre-conference papers (found at RUSI - RUSI Land Warfare Conference 2013), including our old favourites of "preparing for contingency", Reserves Integration and BC's Defence Engagement plans.

Two highlights for me from CGS' keynote speech:

As ever, I doubt this will actually change much from normal jogging, but it's nice to hear CGS talking the talk.
  2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Thanks for pointing this out. Maybe these things are discussed differently behind closed doors but I just don't accept that this true:

Really? I'd say we've got an Army tired after two exhausting, and ultimately futile, conflicts that were at best score draws. Furthermore it's been given a good kicking through a protracted redundancy programme with the potential for more to come. Elements of the military covenant are being eroded with the impact that increasingly the Army is no longer seen as a vocation by those who serve. I suspect most people just view it as a job.

SDSR/A2020 has been entirely driven by financial considerations with no real strategic rationale leaving us in a mess both in terms of structures and the equipment programme. The huge amount of change, delivered whilst we're fighting a war, has not been planned in a coherent manner and this will come home to roost as we get into the delivery phases.

I'd therefore like to have heard him say:

• Like Like x 4

3. You know what, it wouldn't kill Senior Officers to tell the truth to us. I've been preached the party line on more than one occasion, and then found the "real" line somewhere on DII, with a significant difference between the two. I suppose it comes down to trust and integrity; although I may not blame them if they don't trust us.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

I couldn't agree more although I suspect the ramifications of being honest at the RUSI conference wouldn't make it the ideal place.

To his great credit, just before A2020 was announced, my last 2* announced to his whole team (200+) that he didn't have a clue what was going on and that he thought the whole thing was an utter mess. He also dealt with questions in an incredibly honest way that meant I've admired him ever since. Unfortunately this sort of thing is pretty rare.
    • Like Like x 1