Rushdie calls for modern reform of islam

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Agent_Smith, Aug 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Really good article from an author that can accpet the failings of modern islam and highlights our governments pandering to the islamic vote.

[C] Times/Salmund Rushdie
  2. The problem is that reformations need to begin from within as a response to either changing circumstances or internal faults. An outsider calling for such a thing is more likely to suppress the desire for change than encourage it. Martin Luther's Protest came from within Catholicism in response to what Luther saw as its faults, no outsiders influenced it, indeed if any non-Christian group had supported it it would probably not have gained the following that it did.

Unfortunately Islam is set up in such a way as to be seen prevent the sort of introspection that such a reformation requires.

4. Well, rshdie is a muslim, albeit an infidel muslim :wink: so i guess it's a start at least.
  5. As an apostate Rushdie is about the last person than muslims are likely to listen to.

Which conveniently highlights another problem with Islam at the moment, Muhammed said, "There must be no compulsion in religion," but is also supposed to have proscribed dire punishments for apostates. Now I don't know about you but "believe or suffer" sounds like compulsion to me.