Discussion in 'Officers' started by Forces_Sweetheart, Apr 25, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I got drunk with some work colleagues the other night and told one of them, called Rupert, about his name being slang for Army Officer.  (Yes, I know I shouldn't have but we'd all had liquid dinner that night).

The funny thing was, Rupert is so posh, he didn't get it.
  2. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought "Rupert" was applied to 2nd & 1st Lieutentants?  I did on occasion hear a Captain being called a "Super Rupert".

In one TA infantry company in London all the Subaltans were called "Miles" [and the OC & 2i/c were both surnamed "Ferguson".  I suppose being Miles Ferguson would have been a guarantee of success.]
  3. The only Rupert I know is Rupert The Bear!!!.....come to think of it he had a very well to do voice didn't he! ;D
  4. Not sure about his voice but I know a Rupert (or "RTB" as he is known) currently doing slightly less work than a TA WO2 on an "Admin Weekend", whilst on the staff at RCB!
  5. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

Do officers have reasonably good drill voices??  I know one (BAC TC  ;)) who sounds like a demented miner who has been eating gravel for the last five years, smoked 50 fags and had three bottles of port before he takes it.   He has a ruperts voice normally but maybe he trys that bit too hard during drill.  (You know who you are). ;)
  6. Don't they argue that they don't have to drill anymore anyway?  It seems rather like the driving test - I have had a licence for 13 years but if I took the test again now I would probably fail.  Can officers remember HOW to drill?  Hhhmmm
  7. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

This one can!!!!!!!!! (and I'm not even a Guardsman)

I love a bit of left-righty-lefty, and am a frustrated Sgt Maj on the drill square. You can have too much of a good thing though, so not volunteering for drill if anyone is asking.

As for accent, mine is fairly standard, not clipped, but not accented either (except for a slight Lancastrian twang). I do possess the obligatory officer's red Hackets cords though :D
  8. Red cords....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Woopert you have completely demolished all my good opinion of you (like you care!).  Time to own up about the lab and the soft top now.....
  9. Officer Drill; (try to use a schoolboy voice)

Wegiment, Wegiment - shun.

the Wegiment will adwance, by the wite........

Battallywon, Battallywon, shun....

CO;  You might be wondering why we are all standing here today...

SNCO;  H'mmm let me guess, take the week off for working so hard - No, new accommodation - No,  Another Operational Tour ?   Could be....!
    ;D ;D ;D ;D
  10. Us civvy chicks love this sort of thing - we like to be kept in order and given a jolly good drilling.... ;)
  11. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

No Lab or soft top I'm afraid (though I do drive a Volvo!!)

I also possess a pair of Mustard coloured cords to complement the red ones, as well as moleskin trousers and brown suede Loakes loafers. I AM my own stereotype...and i like it :D

BTW Forces Sweetheart....getting girlies all hot and bothered is what I do, after all why else would I have joined but to look good in uniform ???
  12. Quite! You had better send me a biog to pass on to my lovely civvy-chick pals....

(But don't expect to double-date if you insist on wearing rupert outfits....)
  13. It is funny that all officers are considered to be stereotypical and that the other ranks are so individual.  I might break out of the tradition, start a new fashion and go and buy a tracksuit, football shirt and trainers.  Oh hang on, that has been done already (Sgt Mess, Cpl Mess, NAAFI, the Rest of the UK.......)
  14. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

I am not a stereotype...I read Tatler, Horse & Hound, and Hello because they are interesting!