• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Ruperts

I got drunk with some work colleagues the other night and told one of them, called Rupert, about his name being slang for Army Officer.  (Yes, I know I shouldn't have but we'd all had liquid dinner that night).

The funny thing was, Rupert is so posh, he didn't get it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought "Rupert" was applied to 2nd & 1st Lieutentants?  I did on occasion hear a Captain being called a "Super Rupert".

In one TA infantry company in London all the Subaltans were called "Miles" [and the OC & 2i/c were both surnamed "Ferguson".  I suppose being Miles Ferguson would have been a guarantee of success.]

Not sure about his voice but I know a Rupert (or "RTB" as he is known) currently doing slightly less work than a TA WO2 on an "Admin Weekend", whilst on the staff at RCB!

Do officers have reasonably good drill voices??  I know one (BAC TC  ;)) who sounds like a demented miner who has been eating gravel for the last five years, smoked 50 fags and had three bottles of port before he takes it.   He has a ruperts voice normally but maybe he trys that bit too hard during drill.  (You know who you are). ;)

Don't they argue that they don't have to drill anymore anyway?  It seems rather like the driving test - I have had a licence for 13 years but if I took the test again now I would probably fail.  Can officers remember HOW to drill?  Hhhmmm

This one can!!!!!!!!! (and I'm not even a Guardsman)

I love a bit of left-righty-lefty, and am a frustrated Sgt Maj on the drill square. You can have too much of a good thing though, so not volunteering for drill if anyone is asking.

As for accent, mine is fairly standard, not clipped, but not accented either (except for a slight Lancastrian twang). I do possess the obligatory officer's red Hackets cords though :D

Red cords....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Noooooooooooooo

Woopert you have completely demolished all my good opinion of you (like you care!).  Time to own up about the lab and the soft top now.....

Officer Drill; (try to use a schoolboy voice)

Wegiment, Wegiment - shun.

the Wegiment will adwance, by the wite........

Battallywon, Battallywon, shun....

CO;  You might be wondering why we are all standing here today...

SNCO;  H'mmm let me guess, take the week off for working so hard - No, new accommodation - No,  Another Operational Tour ?   Could be....!
;D ;D ;D ;D

No Lab or soft top I'm afraid (though I do drive a Volvo!!)

I also possess a pair of Mustard coloured cords to complement the red ones, as well as moleskin trousers and brown suede Loakes loafers. I AM my own stereotype...and i like it :D

BTW Forces Sweetheart....getting girlies all hot and bothered is what I do, after all why else would I have joined but to look good in uniform ???

It is funny that all officers are considered to be stereotypical and that the other ranks are so individual.  I might break out of the tradition, start a new fashion and go and buy a tracksuit, football shirt and trainers.  Oh hang on, that has been done already (Sgt Mess, Cpl Mess, NAAFI, the Rest of the UK.......)

It is scary - when I first started seeing my hunka burnin' lurve, everyone that knew me said how appropriate it was for me to be with an army officer.  Scary.  And yes, I suppose I dress in a stereotypical way.  But I like to describe it as classic!!

Dear F_S,

Have you not seen the old Sharpe films with Sean Bean, the rough guy from the ranks who always gets in with the officer totty because she like a bit of rough original?  Sound tempting??? :eek: :eek:

(Big grin)  hahahah - BS you are funny.  You have brightened my morning.

I was never really into Sharpe in a big way but remember that recurring theme in the series - him being sweaty and unshaven and posh girls giving him longing looks... great fun.

I liked him better as Andy McNab in the TV version of Bravo Two Zero and better still as Alec Trevelyan in one of the Bond films (Goldeneye?).  So I guess I thought he was best with the posh accent and I loved the way he said 'For England, James'.....

But the truth is that my rupert is knicker-droppingly gorgeous and knows exactly how to keep me in line, so I get the best of both worlds.....

Woopert,

I would like to complement you on your fine choice of attire. One has standards that should always be maintained, good to see old bean. If one is in a mobile role like you, I assume then inevitably sacrifices have to be made ie. 1 x Lab missing, but a direct entry officer without a soft top?

There must be a good reason or you are already hitched.

Latest Threads