Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by heady69, Dec 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. are the benfits of running outside better than on a treadmill

Q I typically run outdoors, but when it's hot and humid, I head to the treadmill. Does running on the treadmill burn fewer calories? And will running indoors compromise my training for an upcoming marathon?

A If you're running at speeds under 9 miles an hour (a very fast 6:40-minute-mile pace), treadmill running burns about the same number of calories as running outdoors, says John Porcari, Ph.D., a professor in the department of exercise and sports science at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. But if you run faster than 9 mph, you'll burn fewer calories on the treadmill. "The difference can be up to 8 percent," Porcari says. "That's because you don't have to overcome wind resistance and because the treadmill belt does propel you along a bit."
  3. I did a few months on a treadmill then started running on the road, after a couple of minutes i was shattered! Saying that though some people find a treadmill harder, I think it depends on your running style. Mix it up and see how you feel. :D
  4. If your running on the treadmill, I would recommend that you increase the incline to at least a min of 2%, otherwise the inertia of the machine is doing the work for you.
  5. Left leg, right leg, body will follow... etc...
  6. The general view seems to be that the 2% rule is useless. This is because public tradmills are unlikely to be properly calibrated so each treadmill will be slightly different.

The best thing to do is to either tailor your workout by heartrate or guesstimate how hard you are working and adjust the incline/speed accordingly.
  7. I prefer Running outside, even in the sh1ttiest weather. I've run in torrential rain, hail, snow and high winds - or "Summer", as we call it in Scotland! :D

As long as you have good kit, you can Run in most conditions, though ice can be a major problem.

Personally, I just find Treadmills to be too fcuking boring.
  8. Totally agree! Running in the Scottish weather really seperates the men from the boys lol...

Not to mention Scotland is entirely uphill.

9. Yes, much better.
  10. I use 5%, although I have been as high as 13% which is a killer. My knees are shagged so I use the treadmill as much as possible and hit the roads only when I'm away and there is no treadmill. I moved to the tradmill a few winters back and I don't miss wet and slippery pavements littered with uneven slabs, dog mess and wet leaves.
  11. I totally agree with you mate...since using a treadmill all knee problems are gone... 5% is enough for me.........13 % must be like trotting up Snowdon !!
  12. I do it in 7 minute bursts, warm up legs, then set the treadmill of on a steady increase up to 13% back down to steady 5%, killer but it seems to work, I never get tired on sharp inclines during CFT etc.
  13. Tomorrow should be fun; 4 mile run(very cold weather forecast)to the gym. Pump Iron(she is a stunning young woman! :twisted: )and finish with the heavy bags. :D
  14. I find running on the treadmill harder than running outside, all the buttons confuse me.