running

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0846/is_1_23/ai_107488106

Q I typically run outdoors, but when it's hot and humid, I head to the treadmill. Does running on the treadmill burn fewer calories? And will running indoors compromise my training for an upcoming marathon?

A If you're running at speeds under 9 miles an hour (a very fast 6:40-minute-mile pace), treadmill running burns about the same number of calories as running outdoors, says John Porcari, Ph.D., a professor in the department of exercise and sports science at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. But if you run faster than 9 mph, you'll burn fewer calories on the treadmill. "The difference can be up to 8 percent," Porcari says. "That's because you don't have to overcome wind resistance and because the treadmill belt does propel you along a bit."

If your running on the treadmill, I would recommend that you increase the incline to at least a min of 2%, otherwise the inertia of the machine is doing the work for you.

Left leg, right leg, body will follow... etc...

I prefer Running outside, even in the sh1ttiest weather. I've run in torrential rain, hail, snow and high winds - or "Summer", as we call it in Scotland! :D

As long as you have good kit, you can Run in most conditions, though ice can be a major problem.

Personally, I just find Treadmills to be too fcuking boring.

FrankCastle said:
I prefer Running outside, even in the sh1ttiest weather. I've run in torrential rain, hail, snow and high winds - or "Summer", as we call it in Scotland! :D

As long as you have good kit, you can Run in most conditions, though ice can be a major problem.

Totally agree! Running in the Scottish weather really seperates the men from the boys lol...

Not to mention Scotland is entirely uphill.

J.

blobmeister said:
If your running on the treadmill, I would recommend that you increase the incline to at least a min of 2%, otherwise the inertia of the machine is doing the work for you.
I use 5%, although I have been as high as 13% which is a killer. My knees are shagged so I use the treadmill as much as possible and hit the roads only when I'm away and there is no treadmill. I moved to the tradmill a few winters back and I don't miss wet and slippery pavements littered with uneven slabs, dog mess and wet leaves.

WhiteHorse said:
blobmeister said:
I use 5%, although I have been as high as 13% which is a killer. My knees are shagged so I use the treadmill as much as possible and hit the roads only when I'm away and there is no treadmill. I moved to the tradmill a few winters back and I don't miss wet and slippery pavements littered with uneven slabs, dog mess and wet leaves.
I totally agree with you mate...since using a treadmill all knee problems are gone... 5% is enough for me.........13 % must be like trotting up Snowdon !!
:thumright:

Zeitgeist said:
WhiteHorse said:
blobmeister said:
I totally agree with you mate...since using a treadmill all knee problems are gone... 5% is enough for me.........13 % must be like trotting up Snowdon !! :thumright:
I do it in 7 minute bursts, warm up legs, then set the treadmill of on a steady increase up to 13% back down to steady 5%, killer but it seems to work, I never get tired on sharp inclines during CFT etc.

JayCam said:
FrankCastle said:

Totally agree! Running in the Scottish weather really seperates the men from the boys lol...

Not to mention Scotland is entirely uphill.

J.
Tomorrow should be fun; 4 mile run(very cold weather forecast)to the gym. Pump Iron(she is a stunning young woman! :twisted: )and finish with the heavy bags. :D

some good suggestions also another question i try to attempt push ups and pull ups but there to hard i can do about 5 push ups but i think i am not going low enough have anymore tips to improve them because i see army vids and there doing lots of them so... any tips

Lots of sets of repetitions. For example try doing 3-5 sets of 20-25 reps a day. Another idea which I used to build my base strength up was every time i had a slash or sh1t I would bang out 20 in the bathroom but obvisouly this idea is not very good if you have bladder problems or the sh1ts.

I ran outside only once before I went to the Army Development and Selection Centre Lichfield, all I ever do is run on a treadmill, I found it terribly hard/tiresome outside before I got to Lichfield, when it came to the day when I had to do the 1.5 mile run I blitz it :s fcuk know's why or how, I just find treadmill's easier, PLUS, I got my PB time on the actual day.

heady69 said:
some good suggestions also another question i try to attempt push ups and pull ups but there to hard i can do about 5 push ups but i think i am not going low enough have anymore tips to improve them because i see army vids and there doing lots of them so... any tips
Well best idea is to find out your max... so get in press up position and do press ups without stopping until you literally cannot do even one more. That is your max.

10 sets of half your max would be a good place to start. You dont need to do them in a row, do them throughout the day. Test yourself each week and adjust the number you do. This works pretty well.

Also make sure you are doing them in proper form and going as low as you need to. No point cheating because you are just going to be buggered when test day comes around (dont count that one, dont count that one, dont count that one etc etc).

5 isn't good mate. Address this!

J.

heady69 said:
Well best idea is to find out your max... so get in press up position and do press ups without stopping until you literally cannot do even one more. That is your max.

10 sets of half your max would be a good place to start. You dont need to do them in a row, do them throughout the day. Test yourself each week and adjust the number you do. This works pretty well.

Also make sure you are doing them in proper form and going as low as you need to. No point cheating because you are just going to be buggered when test day comes around (dont count that one, dont count that one, dont count that one etc etc).

5 isn't good mate. Address this!

J.