Running?

My most local hill is The Wrekin. There are at least three fell races over it each year (Wrekin Fell Race, Wrekin Streak, Wrekin Wrecker). Then there are numerous others - Long Mynd, Stiperstones, Caer Caradoc, Pontesbury Hill, and in Wales places like the Breidden Hills.

Probably others I may have done and forgotten, or that are run which I have not done. I'm a bit north of you -but last year I ran the Brown Clee Burn which is a pleasant 7 miler, with a free cup of tea and sausage sandwich at the end for all competitors. I go running on Brown Clee sometimes at weekends, and swim in Boyne water (a man made small lake half way up Brown Clee)
Not a million miles away from my part of the world by the sounds of it.

I've trained on the Wrekin for some Arduous courses over the years as it's on my doorstep and it's just as hard running around it as it is just running up to the top.

Brown Clee Burn is a cracking little run, worth it just for the brew and bacon buttie at the end.

Sadly all the above are no longer done at pace and I'm happy these days just to get my Parkrun torture on a Sat morning over and done with in under 24 mins...........

What an epic day yesterday. Volunteered at the VLM finish line. So many people in wheelchairs. The first aiders worked their socks off. Not many PBs yesterday but one friend knocked 2 mins off his one. Some bloke tried to proff a t shirt and medal without even running but we told him to do one

image.jpeg

What an epic day yesterday. Volunteered at the VLM finish line. So many people in wheelchairs. The first aiders worked their socks off. Not many PBs yesterday but one friend knocked 2 mins off his one. Some bloke tried to proff a t shirt and medal without even running but we told him to do one

View attachment 331952
You should've given the scruffy looking gimp a t-shirt, out of compassion, like.

Anyway, lots of unhappy runners from Chepstow, failing to hit their target times because of the heat, with the exception of Karen Matthews who ran 3hrs 2 mins and won the Welsh silver medal. She didn't even know there was one!

She's a proper road racing snake.

We're doing the less glamorous Newport Marathon this weekend. I'll probably get robbed or something.

Saw my club mate at the finish. Said it was his hardest ever marathon and he was so disappointed with his time. 2h49m. He should have gone sub 2h40. Next time.

Sub 3 and disappointed with a 10 minute difference.

Some runners are just spoilt.:rabbit:
Great to hear all these amazing times! It might be a whole other league, but just saying, I ran my furthest ever today 14 miles and it took 2 hours 20 and I felt like bloody mo farrah! So happy! 10 days now until the actual race, so I guess I will taper right back now? I mentally split it into 5 and walked 90 seconds after each to get a drink and eat something, rather than trying to drink and run. Definitely worked for me , as I could have continued at the end and really enjoyed it. Finished at an open air pool which really helped too. Pretty stiff now. Thanks again for all the advice.

Ahhhh my worst nightmare, it's going to be 25 degrees or more for my half tomorrow and full sun. What made me sign up for a May race?

52, 238lb, diabetic fat bastard.

Listened to All In The Mind on R4, about running to help with depression. The next day was the anniversary of my dads' suicide.

So I bought a pair of running shoes and started couch to 5k! Pulled a hamstring on the 5th running bit, so walked the rest. Next time out I walked all the way, adding a couple of 20 s runs. Third time out I did half the runs.

Repeating week one last night, I did all but 10 seconds of the runs.

My head seems pretty good at the moment. I'm even looking forward to the next run.

Listened to All In The Mind on R4, about running to help with depression. The next day was the anniversary of my dads' suicide.

So I bought a pair of running shoes and started couch to 5k! Pulled a hamstring on the 5th running bit, so walked the rest. Next time out I walked all the way, adding a couple of 20 s runs. Third time out I did half the runs.

My head seems pretty good at the moment. I'm even looking forward to the next run.
Brilliant! I recommend the book running until you are 100 by Jeff Galloway. It really helped me to be realistic about what I wanted and to stay focused on enjoyment. And he is really into the idea of walking breaks even for people aiming to run a marathon sub 3 hours. Running has so many benefits!

Can I make a suggestion?

Watch this with regards a diet that great for endurance running, diabetes AND losing weight:

Can I make a suggestion?

Watch this with regards a diet that great for endurance running, diabetes AND losing weight:

Do you not do any carb loading before long races? Do you think it can work for everyone?
I completed the half today but really struggled in the heat in the last 3 miles when I felt really light headed. And was way slower than 10 days ago. But the main thing was I enjoyed it and want to do it again. But I'd be interested to know more about the diet you use, as it seems to go against everything I've read?

But I'd be interested to know more about the diet you use, as it seems to go against everything I've read?
The guy who started off the 'carbs for fuel' was a scientist called Tim Noakes and he wrote that a high carb diet is needed for endurance sports in a 1970s book called The Lore of Running (also known as the Runner's Bible).

He's since apologised for being wrong and he's a huge advocate of low carb for endurance athletes. You can google the guy; he's lots of stuff on youtube too.

But I originally got my information from this book:

In essence, carbs is a dirty fuel and we only have a limited tank of it, and once that's depleted, we 'bonk' (for the Septics, that doesn't mean having sex in this context).

So by eating low carb, and running with a low heart rate, we force our bodies into being able to utilise fat-for-fuel more efficiently and become fat-adapted. You might feel a bit dodgy for a week or so. If you lift weights, you may notice a reduction in strength. But as the weeks pass, it all passes.

It lessens the need for so much sugar and is great for stuff like marathons and ultra marathons where eating can become an issue (pre-low carb, Wor Lass really struggled on an ultra after 70 miles; puking, tears, snot, and a dodgy gut from the sugary energy gels). You still need to eat, but less sugar is required, on long endurance events.

And we both feel far healthier on this diet. No sleepiness after a meal, more energy; we even feel sharper, in our heads, like. Believe it or not!

And yes, we eat carbs prior to a race, but not like we used to on the high carb paradigm. We might have some quality carbs, like sweet potato, 24 hours prior, beetroot juice too (try that; it's great for endurance), and we might have porridge in the morning of a race. (Actually, I'm lying, I'll eat chocolate because I'm weak, but Wor Lass is fairly disciplined).

Not for short races though.

We (Wor Lass and me) redid our MAF test, but on the treadmill this time, which I think is the most sensible way to do it. It's flat and the variables are more controllable.

What is the MAF Test? - Dr. Phil Maffetone

We warmed up over 20 minutes (it takes us that long), and then we reset the running machine and ran 5k at our MAF heart rates.

Wor Lass got 33 minutes something and I got 29 minutes 14 secs. Wor Lass is a lot fitter than me aerobically, she beat me at the Newport Marathon by 17 minutes, so I was surprised my MAF result was better. But she's had a really busy day, whereas I had a couple of hours chill before going to the gym, so maybe that explains her result?

I did the same test last year, after a long period of low-heart-rate training (not long prior to an ultra marathon) and did the 5k in 25 minutes; so my aerobic fitness has declined since then.

Anyway, we'll redo it in a few weeks to see what the difference is.

We (Wor Lass and me) redid our MAF test, but on the treadmill this time, which I think is the most sensible way to do it. It's flat and the variables are more controllable.

What is the MAF Test? - Dr. Phil Maffetone

We warmed up over 20 minutes (it takes us that long), and then we reset the running machine and ran 5k at our MAF heart rates.

Wor Lass got 33 minutes something and I got 29 minutes 14 secs. Wor Lass is a lot fitter than me aerobically, she beat me at the Newport Marathon by 17 minutes, so I was surprised my MAF result was better. But she's had a really busy day, whereas I had a couple of hours chill before going to the gym, so maybe that explains her result?

I did the same test last year, after a long period of low-heart-rate training (not long prior to an ultra marathon) and did the 5k in 25 minutes; so my aerobic fitness has declined since then.

Anyway, we'll redo it in a few weeks to see what the difference is.
What kind of heart monitor do you use? This is really interesting.

What kind of heart monitor do you use? This is really interesting.
I use a Garmin 310xt with a chest strap. It's an old garmin, can be picked up dirt cheap, but it has a gps battery life of 20 hours, so is popular with ultra runners. I've even seen a guy wearing two of them, like a Russian on the rape in Berlin.

With regards wrist HRMs, the tech isn't quite there yet. Chest straps are better. And you don't need GPS either, so you could probably pick up a chest strap HRM off ebay for under 20 quid. I now train by time, not mileage.

I had a chest HRM a few years ago, but could never get consistent results from it. As the Doctor said when trying to do an ultrasound on my aorta, "imagine taking a photo in a crowded bar, too much getting in the way"!

My cheap wrist mounted is bloody useless, but still better than SWMBO expensive wrist mounted. If I don't believe mine, I cross check it with my phone.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
As a result of this thread I've pulled a muscle in my leg and my left ankle hurts. For the first time in 20 years I have a sports injury.

I feel so manly

Latest Threads