Running?

Never used them but aren’t Goretex socks supposed to be part of dry gear?

ie don’t run in them?
Snap. I thought it was all merino socks nowadays.

Never used them but aren’t Goretex socks supposed to be part of dry gear?

ie don’t run in them?
That's a first I've heard, but they're really for the mornings when everything is wet with morning dew. And remember it'll be a run-hike-run-hike kind of thing. It's 185 miles.

Just to try and keep her feet dry and prevent trenchfoot. She'll be changing her running shoes, if they're wet when she gets access to her drop bag at 50, 100, and 150 miles. She's spent a fortune on multiple pairs of running shoes.

And socks.

If it doesn't work, she'll go back to her Injinji toe socks, which she likes.

I had to stop running because I had to have an operation this summer. The surgeon told me I could get back to it three months after the op. That was 17th September. I actually started a week brfore that, but that's not material to the query I am raising.

I got back into it relatively gently but having run 10k yesterday (cross country) I now find that my left heel is very tender and when I walk, each time I put my left foot down it hurts. Like its bruised, although it doesn't look bruised.

What have I done?

I am due to run a ten mile event on 20th October. Is that a realistic expectation, or should I rest it?

Ask the surgeon
Thanks. Maybe I should have said that the surgeon is an expert in urology and the operation was a radical prostatectomy, so nothing to do with my heel.

I'm guessing the discomfort is as a result of getting back to running after a break, but I'm just wondering which is more likely - a bruise type thing, or something else.

Heel AIDS. I don't give much for your chances.

Probably internal bruising on the bone at the back of the heel. I suffer from it if I run in knackered trainers or boots. Essentially means you have a heel heavy gait and the pressure isn't being absorbed very well, with regular running the flesh effectively calluses against it.

Get some insoles to soften it, or the trainers with ring type heels.

Probably internal bruising on the bone at the back of the heel. I suffer from it if I run in knackered trainers or boots. Essentially means you have a heel heavy gait and the pressure isn't being absorbed very well, with regular running the flesh effectively calluses against it.

Get some insoles to soften it, or the trainers with ring type heels.
Thank you. That sounds eminently sensible. Much appreciated.

Thanks. Maybe I should have said that the surgeon is an expert in urology and the operation was a radical prostatectomy, so nothing to do with my heel.

I'm guessing the discomfort is as a result of getting back to running after a break, but I'm just wondering which is more likely - a bruise type thing, or something else.
After a prostatectomy you may find that your gait has unknowingly changed and you're now striking the ground with your heels more. The opposite happened to me years ago after a circumcision (I was heel striker and became more of a front foot striker) Go to a decent sports shop and get your gait checked.

Might be worth looking at squats. I used to get knee pain - which I thought was IB syndrome. All the stretches and foam rolling only helped a bit. Doing squats and deadlifts have help stop the knee pain, even at the 18m point.
I’m training for race to the stones in July so hope this extends to 2x50km!
That's exactly what my physio prescribed me for my knees - squats and deadlifts. They have also helped with my lower back pain.

YetAnotherRock

War Hero
That's exactly what my physio prescribed me for my knees - squats and deadlifts. They have also helped with my lower back pain.
Athlean X has some really good advice! I managed my 2x50km back in July in a total of 15h45. Second day my legs were shot...took 9 hours and wish I had done more conditioning

Latest Threads