Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by LJKennedy, Nov 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Being training quite hard for the last month to get fit for the Army, seen some decent results to. Just wondering what you lads do? I normally mix it up a bit from treadmill to road running each day, long runs and short and try to get swimming at least 3 times a week, with body weight exercises throwin in!
  2. I'm prepared to be corrected, but personally I don't bother with treadmills.

Do you lift weights at all? If not, do.
  3. Treadmills are good for building up running fitness while reducing the stress on the knees and ankles (this is because the treadmill track is softer than running on tarmac). However, running on a treadmill is also easier (no hills and you are not propelling your body forwards). This means that in order to get the same effect you probably need to set the incline to about 2 degrees climb.

As to weights, by all means, but start light and seek advice from someone who knows what their doing. There are some good beginners weights programmes available online and (I think) from the Army recruiting website.
  4. Pound the ground gents, pound the ground! Treadmills are great to ensure that shock impact is reduced, however, there is also a massive difference between running and tabbing! Go for a 4 miler, but walk, don't run, and go as fast as you can and see what new muscles you find the next day! These are the buggers that will set you in good stead. Running is easy, proper tabbing is hard! Good Luck.
  5. Sort out your running fitness first, before worrying about tabbing. You'll do plenty of tabbing in basic training. I would recommend a book called "Fighting Fit" (a couple of quid on Amazon), it has some decent training programmes and some good training advice and is specifically written for soldiers and those who want to join.
  6. British Army and the Guardian Sports Journalist did a British Army Fitness Guide a lil while ago. Its quite good.

*Ready for incoming* :p
  7. A mix of steady state, fartlek & interval running will suffice for developing "running fitness". Circuit training & swimming to mix it up are excellent additions as well.

I wouldn't bother with tabbing at the moment. Unless you're built like a day to live the loaded marches in training are fairly straight forward.
  8. Three deep-fried creme eggs a day, a brisk walk to the pie shop and I've got calves like hoover-bags.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. If you're going to start running any sort of distance (ie more than a mile at a time) go to a proper running shop (not jjb sports) and make sure you get the right sort of shoes for your gait. Go in and ask them to check your gait and recommend a shoe. Once they've given you the info, politely leave and order the previous years model of that shoe on t'internet.

The right shoes (and decent socks) will help prevent injuries.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I echo this, also if you are going over a couple of miles use one of the couch to 5k or 5-10k programs.
  11. Make sure you mix your running right up too. Try to do a mega hard interval or fartlek session once or twice a week. This gets real results. Listen to your body. Don't do hard days consecutively or you won't get any benefit. If your legs feel fucked the day after, do a very slow run to build cardio and weight loss whilst allowing your legs to recover. Try and do core circuits twice a week. One concentrating on arms, shoulders, chest and lats and one smashing your abs, arse, back and legs. This helps your running massively. Try and use hills on your hard days. Drink loads. Eat low fat, shit loads of protein, complex carbs. Don't shirk the rain, run in warm kit if needs be. Don't be afraid of compression tops and tights. If you're getting bored, mix in some sport or cycling, swimming or rowing. Try a HRM and GPS to give yourself feedback.
    Most importantly, give yourself goals and whilst you are fucked an hour in to a nails session, just visualise yourself at your end state and how fit you will be.

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I personally find treadmills a horrible way to exercise. If you want to mix up your running, then do some short sessions with lots of hills or just changing pace and do some longer, steady state runs, intervals are good too, run flat out for a set distance. Have a rest of say a minute then do the same and repeat a few times. There are lots of ways to vary running but I am not a fan of treadmills.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  13. Treadmills are for the clinically obese, New Year resolutioners, injured daschunds and TA.

Go outside, find a hill and run up and down it's sides repeatedly.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Not a huge fan of treadmills, give you comforts you don't need, and will never see in any Army phys. Only possible benefit is that time & dist are easily measured.. If you run on treadmills to save your knees, forget it. There is a school of thought that joints & bones react to the impact by strengthening (in a way a workout for your bones & joints). This would also better prepare you for tabbing (fast marches carrying weight). Swimming great exercise to do as it is extremely low impact & builds great general fitness. Bodyweight exercises are also great in particular push-ups and sit-ups (however I advise to train core via crunches etc. as it is easier on your back) as these are common in military fitness tests. If you have time lift a few weights, but that's not important. People who spend all their time in the gym get embarrassed when it comes to runs and TABs when they can't keep up.
  15. I try to mix it up when I'm running. Sometimes I start "left right left" other times I start "right left right"
    • Like Like x 1