Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by minime83, Apr 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all
    I have a big problem hopefully someone can help me with
    I am looking to join the ta soon but have a problem with running. I want to go and start running training but after a couple of meters i am out of breath. I am slightly overweight but i am currently dieting to combat this. I know i need to get fit but how can i train to run when i get out of breath practically as soon as i start?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated as joining the ta is the one thing i desperately want to do
  2. Look here:
  3. See a doc for a check up before starting running, especially if you knackered after a few metres!
  4. The Book People is currently selling discounted copied of The Official British Army Fitness Guide. £3.99.

0845 602 4040 or
  5. Chap, I'm not in any way qualified to give fitness training advice but, I was in a similar position about a year ago and I can tell you what worked for me. I'm also relatively new to TA so can give you a SuT perspective.

If any of this is obvious or insulting, I apologise in advance but you did ask!

- Don't panic! I was 16 stone at 36 years old and couldn't run for a bus, never mind a few miles. I'm now 13st 5, running 3-4 miles a few times a week and my PFT time is now circa 11 minutes. Still improving too. It may take a while!!

- I would agree with previous post that checking with your GP won't hurt, you never know.

- You need to build up slow and also look to manage your eating habits to get the weight off. I actually did 'weight watchers' style counting with my Mrs and lost over a stone fairly easily initially without trying too hard.

- Get a decent pair of running shoes - I went to 'up and running' who fit you by taking a video of how you jog on a treadmill....Made a huge difference to my ankles/knees as I pronate quite a bit. If you are overweight, the load on your joints when running is increased quite a bit.

- Get a starter running programme and try and stick to it. You can download them off the net but running shops such as 'up and running' usually do them too. I got mine when I bought my shoes and have stuck to it. The Army Fitness Guide (8 quid from Amazon) is useful for training plans and tips. There are probably lots of others

- You might find treadmills easier to start with as pacing is easier. I did but my Mrs is a runner so we had one at home. In case you're wondering, I never ran with her as she does 10ks and half marathons for fun and I couldn't keep up.

- If it starts to hurt in your muscles and/or joints, slow it down or stop/stretch off. Running through these kind of problems does not work, especially if you are unfit and overweight. I've learned this from bitter experience of tearing a quadracep and straining calf muscles.

- Try jogging at 5 mph for 1 minute then walking at 3.5 mph for 2 minutes for about 20 minutes, every other day for a week then slowly reduce the time you spend walking and increase jogging over the space of a week or two so you can jog comfortably at 5 mph (ish) for 20 minutes. Then push duration out to about 30 minutes. This could take a while so stick with it.

- Consider going for a long walk (at least 3 miles / 40- 60 minutes) at a decent brisk pace at least once a week. Need to build endurance as well as speed.

- Once you can jog for circa 30 minutes at a slowish pace, slowly increase pace in the same 1 minute on 2 minutes off style reducing over time. I would advise not going up in increments of more than 0.5 mph as it was do demoralising for me to try anything more but it's probably a very personal thing.

- I got up to around 7 - 7.5 mph for a good 30 minutes then started pushing distance/duration. I don't really want to be able to run much quicker but want to be able to get out to the 6 miles or so at this pace. Still working on this mind!!

- Remember to stretch off (particularly calfs and hamstrings) after every session or you'll end up tighter than a bridge cable.

- I was recovering from approx. 10 years of sloth like existence but did a reasonable amount of exercise in my teens and early 20s so did have some recollection of what being fit felt like.

- Your TA selection run is 1.5 miles best effort. You can do it as slow as 15 minutes and pass but you'll struggle in basic training as this steps up quickly in both speed expectations and distance. I would personally try and get down to between 10 and 11 minutes for selection if you can but it's not the end of the world. I'm not quick but I've got reasonable endurance and actually find the CFT (weight carrying squadded march) suits me better. I am aiming to get my 1.5 mile time down to sub 10 minutes though, with more training and improving fitness.

- There is no doubt in my mind that some people are biomechanically better at running than others. You may never get fast enough to join the Para's!! However, this is no excuse and if you are serious about getting fit and joining, give it your best shot.

If you want any info on the program I followed, feel free to PM me. I got lots of help and advice from various folks so happy to pay it forward. Providing you are genuine, loads of folks on Arrse will help too, with varying degrees of sarcasm....

Best of luck!

6. Good advice by OpsSuper,

If you could get a running partner this might also help
  7. Been there done that :) , but same as mate, my first run out was about 200 yards and i was keeled over :lol: but dont give up, O-S has some good advice and the more you do the easier it will be and before you know it you'll be banging out 5 milers in no time..