Running with heavy feet, screw up your knees!

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by posttopeters, Jul 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been doing a lot of running these days. Probably about 50 miles a week. I decided to start wearing my boots for my runs, as I thought this would be good for training!

recently, my knees have started hurting. They don't hurt when I run, but during the day, when I bend my knees I can feel a little bit of pain in them. I am guessing that this had something to do with running in my boots??? Any idea what might be wrong?

So, has anyone else tried running in their boots? Has anyone tried to add weight to their feet, as apposed to wearing a heavy back-pack?

Can anyone else think of good way to add weight to their feet for a run? (As I am sure that some of you have some really funny responses for that one that they can't keep to themselves, go on then, throw them in!)
  2. Running 50 miles a week in boots will have you in a wheel chair soon. Mix and a larger distance at slower speeds in boots maybe once a week.

Fair play to you doing so much training. But its no good when your knees die and you cant walk!!!

P.S. get your boots on, get 15-20 KG on your back and WALK training out there!
  3. 50 Mile a week wearing boots? My knees are hurting just reading that! 8O

Knock that on the head ASAP, mate. Your damn lucky to have avoided serious injury so far. And I'm speaking from experiance; I used to run wearing ankle weights. The end result was a stress-fracture and two months when I could'nt do anything faster than a brisk walk.

You should ONLY be running wearing a good pair of running shoes. As Kingburn said, if you want to train wearing boots then TAB, don't run.

Respect on your level of fitness. :wink:
  4. Buy yourself some ammo boots and nail horseshoes to the soles.
    Sort out your admin. "Probably about 50 miles a week" is a bit vague.
    Use a map to measure the distance you run precisely.
    Try running five miles in the morning and another five miles in the evening, every day for a week.
    After seven days you'll be seventy miles away from your computer and unable to ask us such stupid questions.
    Hope this helps.

5. perhaps you should put on a 55lb bergan, and make sure you only run on tarmac or concrete. downhill.

that should ensure that the destruction of your knees is complete by the time you reach 30.
  6. Unless actually training to run in boots is your goal then I would hazard a guess that your sore knees are affected by your running technique. If you're adding weight to your feet to enable you to run faster in trainers then thats a bad way to do it. You can buy velcro ankle weights that look absolutely fecking ridiculous but that would work - chicks normally use them for step class etc to make it a tougher workout.

People run badly, true fact and a little research into it will show stats to support the claim. If your aim is to simply be a better runner then you should read up on as many official sources for "how to run properly" and you'll be suprised at the bad habits that trainers have forced us to undertake.

Training in bare feet on a beach or grass is the best way to learn to run correctly according to "the scientists" and you should never 'heel strike' when running, it's almost like you are constantly running on your toes like children do. There's a great read all about it if your interested called 'Born to Run'

Language English
    ISBN-10: 1861978235
    ISBN-13: 978-1861978233
  7. Guess thats why im getting new knees,courtesy of the NHS next month then.
  8. Ah! So that's why my knees are so ferked up. 8O

When I joined, there was only the option of running in boots or daps. Non of this puffy trainers malarky. :wink:
  9. making bald statements like that is a little misleading. the issue of heel vs mid vs forefoot strike is the subject of much debate. there's been little scientific study; one of the few studies found that <2% of elite distance runners were forefoot strikers (and not the top 2% either).

another implication is that running on the forefoot for prolonged periods increases the chance of achilles tendonitis / other achilles injuries (whilst excessive impact on the heels increases knee injuries).

i was always taught that your running technique varied with speed. sprinters usually run on their toes; distance runners usually heel- or mid-strike. for distance, i was taught to land on the heel and roll forwards across the length of the foot, springing off the ball / toes. playing basketball and sprinting up and down court, it was up on the toes.

anyway, point i was making is - it's not nearly as clearcut as you say. just because some argue it, doesn't make it automatically correct. it's the subject of much debate in athletic circles. i've seen strong advocates for all three broad running styles.
  10. Very interesting there CRCR.I'll add that your running style, will change when you get knackered, without you noticing at 1st; well mine went to ratshit in the 1st 5 mins :oops:
  11. Im interested to know what your looking to achieve by running in boots? Its not really going to improve your fitness and if your running 50 miles per week then thats not an issue you have to worry about anyway.

Are you carrying weight (ie. bergan or daysack) and looking for ankle support? Are you running roads, cross country or proper fell? Personally I think you should wear whatevers specific to task. Boots for tabbing, quality cushioned running shoes and good insoles for roads and fell running/cross country running shoes for the cuds.

50 miles a week in boots though (issue boots?) Thats just going to mess you up long term.
  12. Don't run on concrete, try ankle weights (beware the gay factor of that!) with runners, RICE the knees
  13. too true. when i was doing half marathons or 10km, i knew my pace was dropping when i started "plodding" and landing more mid-foot, rather than heel-strike and roll across to the forefoot. was a good sign i was slowing down, which can be surprisingly difficult to pick up when you're knackered lol.
  14. With regards to the heel strike/forefoot running debate, look at this link. Dr Romanov believes the POSE method (which incorporates a forefoot strike) is how we should all be running.

He is of the opinion that the muli-billion dollar running shoe industry, is basically taking the piss. People who follow the POSE style run in pretty much flat, un-cushioned shoes.

Also look at this article of a woman from Edinburgh who allegedly went from minimal fitness, to one of the worlds toughest triathlons in record time using the POSE method. She also ran whilst injured using it. It makes interesting reading.

15. That made me laugh out loud - may I have your permission to use that in future conversation?