Running with Bergan - aching lower back any suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by jonny36, Dec 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am 37 (old bugger) and I have started tabbing again.

The fitness is not a problem, I just get an aching pain in my lower back.

I am training with 35lb any suggestions to make the excerise more pain free without ditching the bergan?

2. Lighter load, stretch thouroughly beforehand, build up from there. However, I'd go and see a PTI or a doctor etc first to make sure its not anything more sinister than an unstretched muscle.

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Also see if you can get the weight higher up your back - having the weight resting on the base of your spine might also be contributing slightly.

If you've only justed started again, you might find that the muscles in that part of your back are still quite weak, so your spine is taking the strain - not a good thing. Do some bouts of swimming, cycling, and swinging your upper body from side to side to build up lateral strength.

4. I have had pain on and off for years though I have allways had physio and maintained my fitness.

I suppose its a case of getting the Ibuprofen down my kneck.

5. Warning - Neither fit nor a fitness expert.

But from what I've read and such the lower back pain, assuming everything else is OK, might be strain caused by weak - or rather, insufficiently strong - abdominal and lower back muscles? The 'trunk' or 'core' strength can often be ignored.

Chances are you've got a rippling six-pack and a back like a pair of oaken planks just to make me look like an idjit, though. :wink:

6. As mentioned above, core stability is the key.

See if your PTI's do any core stability classes, they run the at our place at lunch time, it started with one or two of us old timers going there, then all of a sudden there are quite a lot of us doing it.

I tell you what mate, if you have never tried it before, stand by for a beasting. But it may help with your problem?

S_R

7. From what I've read, what generally occurs is that most people's abdominal muscles simply aren't as strong as they might be. So, to keep you upright your back muscles have to work harder than usual as well as coping with the regular workload...

Hence the prevailingly common appearance of lower back problems/pain amongst the general populace and stooped gait amongst the elderly (who do not generally exercise enough to maintain muscle, and so lose it) or the yoof, whose bodies are growing so rapidly their musculature has not adapted.

In contrast, it's much rarer to see a soldier or an athlete with poor posture.

8. Agreed abdominal weakness is the most probable cause (aside from the bergan bouncing on the sacroiliac joint (the knobbly bits) )

If your abs are not strong enough (for you and your current activity) you will have a pronounced lower lordosis (curve at the base or lumber spine).
    Initially this can ache when carrying weight but over a prolonged period could result in pain in the facet joints, and/or siatica (pain shooting down one or both legs particularly when carrying weight.

Good prevention exercises are:

Firstly lumber mobility and stretching (is what it says on the tin, gentle twisting type exercises)

Sit ups (obvious)

Press ups (press ups are excellent for weight carriage preparation, as the exercises forces you to hold all of the muscles required for good core stability in a straight and firm fashion, thus strengthening them)

I would also suggest a visit to the quack just to make sure there is nothing more serious afoot.

9. You are old and falling to bits cease tabbing with weight immediately, get an allotment or a dog for excercise

LET IT GO OLD TIMER

10. I find carring my burgen in the back of a rover takes the weight off my back alot & I an get to places quicker!!! lol

Stilts

11. Squats and abb exercises are ideal for strengthening the lower back.

Lay on your back and pull thigh towards chest one at a time after exercising to help ease the pain.

Dave

12. Ensure you have a short/long back bergan as required.
    Also wear webbing with a decent buckle/hippo pad to take some of the weight off your shoulders.
    Definatley pack the weight high up and close to your body, i.e. on the shoulder blades.

If that doesnt work just grin and bare it!

13. Anyone sustaining injuries while keeping fit or doing their duty should ensure the facts are adequatly recorded.

Well done to the OP:)

14. Thanks for the response! I will crack on now with the tabbing into my late 60's, so I can show off in my care home!

15. It doesnt matter how experienced you are at carrying weight in the past if you've had a break you need to do some build up training first and not straight back into full weight/distance. Also the Core-Stability quotes are good, get doing your clams :twisted: . I would also look at the bergan as suggested and make sure its packed correctly and evenly and strapped up, sounds stupid but basics really. im the same age as you Jonny, dont expect you can go straight back in at the same level, build back up steadily and you'll go on for years. Ok going to sit down my legs, Quads and backs killing :bigsmurf: