Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Running until you vomit...

Surely puking is just going to add to dehydration/electrolyte loss?

One thing definitely, Bulimics often have bad back teeth, because all the acid in the stomach damages the teeth. If you do puke, brush your teeth well afterwards (which you do want to anyway?)

parabol said:
I can't remember where I heard it or how true it is, but I was told always training at that kind of intensity were you want to puke is bad for you and halts progression (or atleast slows it). Apparently for optimum progression train around the 75-80% max HR area? I don't know, I heard it on some random forum a good while ago. I've tried abiding to this while on runs, but I can't help it I always end up pushing myself, particularly if I'm timing myself.

Any thoughts on this?

its swings and round abouts. the running world has its fads like every other activity in the world.

pushing yourself to the max is very important if you want to make solid gains in running. if im training to race, its important to train at race pace which is pretty much the limit of your speed over the distance.

training over 80% is anaerobic and so will help increase your lactate threshold which is basicly the level of effort that makes your muscles feel like they are burning. its good because it helps develop performance at the high level intensity.

generally though, if your puking because your going full tilt, every session, sooner or later your body will not be able to withstand it. performance would decrease because of over training, but this is simple to correct with rest. the most likely result if your not a pt machine would be injury or problems associated with being constantly overtrained (fatigue, depression, lethargy etc)

i find it beneficial to only take a watch out every so often. most of the time, listen to your body. if your feeling it, ease off a little and if its easy push a bit, rather then pushing when your tired.

I remember being at an international athletic meet, was amazed by how many athletes chuck-up after a race. Something you dont see on the TV.

metimmee said:
I remember being at an international athletic meet, was amazed by how many athletes chuck-up after a race. Something you dont see on the TV.

obviously they came straight from the pub :D

Low blood sugar can make you nauseous during hard exercise. Try eating something high carb 2 hrs before you train. Works for me. Don't leave it too late tho or the weight of the tatties still in your belly will make you puke.

xpat said:
Low blood sugar can make you nauseous during hard exercise. Try eating something high carb 2 hrs before you train. Works for me. Don't leave it too late tho or the weight of the tatties still in your belly will make you puke.

I often wonder about my sugar intake - I felt like utter shit about two hours ago, really low. Yet I broke out a cheapy energy drink (something I've avoided like the plague for about 6 months, as I used to *always* be drinking them) and within about 15minutes perked up.

I probably should assess my diet!

walt_of_the_walts said:
One thing definitely, Bulimics often have bad back teeth, because all the acid in the stomach damages the teeth. If you do puke, brush your teeth well afterwards (which you do want to anyway?)

DO NOT - repeat - DO NOT BRUSH YOUR TEETH FOR AT LEAST 30 MINS AFTER PUKING!

Wash your mouth out with water; chew sugar free gum to promote salivation etc..., but leave the tooth brushing for half an hour; if you brush your teeth directly after vomiting you'll drive the stomach acids into the tooth enamel and worsen the effects considerably.

Running until you puke may well be carried out by many trainers, but it has absolutely no more benefit over a proper structured heart rate / HIIT training program. If some guy pukes half way through a run, the rest of the run the water content is going to be much lower resuling in much poorer performance in gains for the rest of the run.

laza said:
parabol said:
I can't remember where I heard it or how true it is, but I was told always training at that kind of intensity were you want to puke is bad for you and halts progression (or atleast slows it). Apparently for optimum progression train around the 75-80% max HR area? I don't know, I heard it on some random forum a good while ago. I've tried abiding to this while on runs, but I can't help it I always end up pushing myself, particularly if I'm timing myself.

Any thoughts on this?

its swings and round abouts. the running world has its fads like every other activity in the world.

pushing yourself to the max is very important if you want to make solid gains in running. if im training to race, its important to train at race pace which is pretty much the limit of your speed over the distance.

training over 80% is anaerobic and so will help increase your lactate threshold which is basicly the level of effort that makes your muscles feel like they are burning. its good because it helps develop performance at the high level intensity.

generally though, if your puking because your going full tilt, every session, sooner or later your body will not be able to withstand it. performance would decrease because of over training, but this is simple to correct with rest. the most likely result if your not a pt machine would be injury or problems associated with being constantly overtrained (fatigue, depression, lethargy etc)

i find it beneficial to only take a watch out every so often. most of the time, listen to your body. if your feeling it, ease off a little and if its easy push a bit, rather then pushing when your tired.

From my understanding, training at the lactate threshold is unsustainable and as such only 1-2 session a week should be held at at pace/intensity. Other sessions should be (depending on what event you are training for) longer sessions for stamina (not slow, just longer, 35-60 minute sessions).

moodymoddy- I would say you're unfit and as such your HR level (and therefore lactate accumulation) is getting too high for you to sustain that pace at the moment. 2 schools of thought on that. 1 build up your base level first (ie run slower) and then start running faster, or keep at your current level and take less and less puke breaks until you can maintain the pace throughout your run.

Vomitus is good buddy, either a sign you have worked hard or a sign that 8 cans of John Smiths and a luncheon meat and mutton mince baguette is a bad move before a run !! :D In the hallowed halls of the Commando Training Centre the specific order of "DO NOT be sick on my f*ckin floor, pull your t shirt forward, pluke into that then f*ck off outside with it!!" wasnt uncommon !

Wessex_Man said:
walt_of_the_walts said:

Wash your mouth out with water; chew sugar free gum to promote salivation etc..., but leave the tooth brushing for half an hour; if you brush your teeth directly after vomiting you'll drive the stomach acids into the tooth enamel and worsen the effects considerably.

I'm pretty sure that's a myth..

righthandmarker said:
If after phys you do not vommit or feel like vommitting then you are not trying hard enough.

You should also be bleeding from your eye balls and ears, involuntary grand slamming and choking on your own vomit....... :D

mcclurg said:
Wessex_Man said:
walt_of_the_walts said:

I'm pretty sure that's a myth..

Then it's being perpetuated by every dentist I know.

Then it's being perpetuated by every dentist I know.[/quote]

I bet you know as many dentists as I know Lancastrian sheep farmers !