Running Two ISP at Once..?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Mediaeval, Feb 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if anyone out there can explain a slightly odd situation which has just arisen when I changed ISPs today....

Having had Broadband with Virgin for about 6 years, we made the decision to take a BT Broadband and Phone package on moving to our new house. Move went ahead today and as planned I activated the BT home hub and connected via cable on our new phone number this evening.

On moving to BT, I had cancelled my account with Virgin, whose service went off this morning as agreed - at least when connected to my old router and phone number at the previous address.

To my surprise, having installed my new ISP address and BT yahoo package, which works fine, I find that both my Virgin mail and Virgin homepage also still function, and my old ISP address remains live. My favourites also appear on both homepages (I thought they would be tied to the Virgin ISP). Previously, when I moved house, it took Virgin about two weeks to restore the service - now I have it on day one, without even being a suscriber any more - nice but odd.....

Can anyone explain....?

Med

2. Hahahshaha you thick ****.

3. Thanks roadster - I was aware in a layman's sense of what an ISP is, but having had Virgin apparently deactivated today on my old phone number, checked it before I left, I was surprised to see it pop up live here against my new one, which is supposed to be BT only. Instead, I have Virgin.net and Btinternet.com and I can send and receive mail on both of them. I don't set a particular homepage for startup, I use the relevant Icon on desktop to get to the one I want.

At least it gives me a few days to inform my contacts on Virgin to switch to my new address....

4. 5460591.jpg

It's electrickery.

• Like Like x 1
  5. My old Freeserve email still worked until 2 years ago. I dumped Sky 5 years ago and my @sky.com still works, as does my old @o2. However as Roadster says, don't rely on your old one.

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Check your breasts for lumps. And under your arms.

7. HHH

HHH LE

Why not use a free email provider, that way if you change ISP you still have the same email address.
    Here is a link to some of them;

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=best email provider&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CGcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Femail.about.com%2Fod%2Ffreeemailreviews%2Ftp%2Ffree_email.htm&ei=_Oc-T4ucNdS0hAei952tAQ&usg=AFQjCNEXeXVjQr_-dpaAC-d3LJr9bGrEnw

8. I will never understand why people use their ISPs email address...to do so is foolery. As triple H says, use one of the free ones.....Gmail is IMHO the best as it gives you free pop etc, whereas others charge for that.

9. Guilty as charged..! Of course, when Virgin shut my account, they stopped internet access on my old phone number, but evidently have left my mailbox and homepage live for now - so, when I activate BT, still accessible. Should have worked that out for myself.....