Running twice a day?

I usually do a 3 mile run in the morning, sometimes mix it up with a 5/6 mile run, and do weights in the evening after work. On the days I am not doing weights I was thinking of doing another run in the evening. Do you guys think this is a good idea or will it lead to some kind of burnout / decrease in performance?

sounds like you're doing enough to me.
I do a run in the morning(3 Mile) then bike to work and home again(10Mile in total) and by the end of the week my legs are fucked.

I used to run twice a day and i got problems with my ITB. Changed my trainers and reduced my training and problems disappeared. Remember your body needs rest days to repair.

Id suggest a different second activity like swimming for example otherwise injury will become inevitable in the long term.

As long as you rest properly - at least 2 full days of rest. I would suggest that you work up to it, and you look at varying the types of running you are doing. If in doubt, buy this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0873229592/?tag=armrumser-21

and do exactly what he tells you.

It's all relative to your endurance output and the intensity of the runs. Performing 2 x 6 mile fartlek sessions a day will eventually burn you out. Performing a 6 mile fartlek session in the morning followed by a 3 mile recovery run in the evening is not impossible. Better of conducting some form of cross training though as has been said.

If you feel like you want to do more try swimming rather than running agian.

Depends on a few things really.

What kind of running are you doing?
What do you do for a job?
How much fuel (food) are you consuming during the day?

Recently whilst on 2 weeks leave I trained twice one day, once the other for 6 days then had the 7th day off. Yes I noticed an improvement in my output (knocked 4 minutes off my 2 miler time) but I don't think I could've done this constantly as I do a physical job. I believe rest is important as your body needs time to heal. But if you feel you're up to it why not give it a try for a few weeks. I'd stop straight away if you felt an injury developing though.

Not saying what I do is right, but I do three weights sessions a week after work (mon, tues, wed), I do every muscle group with one set to failure, and after that I either run a couple of miles or walk my dogs for 4 or 5. Thursday to Sunday are rest days which gives the body a good 4 days recovery time (still go walking the dogs and doing every day physical stuff, just no weights), then back to it. After about 10 weeks I take a weeks rest from all of it. I'm in really good shape and my fitness levels are good so it works for me and so far I haven't picked up any injuries or felt burned out.

I Think running once a day is enough.
Running 3 mile a day is a good workout for the fitness.
You can do it for 1 time and need not to do it again for the next time.
You're not much good at running, it took you 9 months to catch up! :)

I did it for a few weeks before a course I did a couple of years back (run to work, work, run to the pool, swim, run home).

From my experience I can say two things;

1. It seemed to be a very quick way of improving my times (I knocked a good minute off my four mile time in the space of a week).

2. It's fantastic if you suffer from insomnia. I could sleep at the drop the drop of a hat, anywhere and at any time of day.

I'd recommend a second pair of trainers as well, as they (or the cushioning in them) need to recover after a run too. I can't comment on the long term effects though, but I can imagine it being hard on the joints in the long run.

Depends on a few things really.

What kind of running are you doing?
What do you do for a job?
How much fuel (food) are you consuming during the day?

Recently whilst on 2 weeks leave I trained twice one day, once the other for 6 days then had the 7th day off. Yes I noticed an improvement in my output (knocked 4 minutes off my 2 miler time) but I don't think I could've done this constantly as I do a physical job. I believe rest is important as your body needs time to heal. But if you feel you're up to it why not give it a try for a few weeks. I'd stop straight away if you felt an injury developing though.
Try it and see.
It may work for you.

When I was in my late 30's & early 40's I tried upping my running and often did a couple of runs a day, but would rather do a run,gym & swim a day as it took longer to recover.

The extra runs staved off my slowing down in my old age for a few years.

If you do increase your running 2 to 3 days rest every now and again works wonders.

I ran twice a day for over 10 years, about half an hour steady before work and then something more serious in the afternoon or evening. Occasionally, I ran 3 times a day.

It all depends what you're aiming to achieve.

Just doing running is dull imo; as others have said cross-training is not only good for your body but your mind and motivation. Get yourself to the pool, try out rowing and do cycling too for CV, but you may also need to get a good amount of resistance work done also try kettlebell sessions run by a proper PT if you can; boxercise and body-pump are good gym run sessions for mixing it up.

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I ride 3 miles twice a day. On a Thu/Fri I run instead. I do an improvers session on a Monday evening (Hills/bootcamp/intervals spread over a three week cycle) and then a longer run of 7 miles + on a Sat or Sun morning. I try and run a 10 - 15 miler at least once a month, just so that I know I can.

This seems to keep me at a base level of fitness that I like and means I can change my training program to fit anything that is coming up in the future.

Are you trying to lose weight?

What worked best for me was throwing myself 'pon the mercy of a local gym. They chucked a monster combo at me of weights, explosive circuit training type cardio and some conditioning classes like spin and core. At a fiver a lesson it's about £40 a week, but honestly it beats the **** out of just running.

A) It's just as fat burning
B) It's more fun.
C) It tones and builds.
D) It's more controlled and free advice!

What's not to like?
£40 a week

I used to run 4 miles, twice a day. Coming from a family with a history of weak joints and arthritis it perhaps wasn't the smartest move, but I enjoyed it at the time.
I was until recently running 6-8 miles when I went out, but too many injuries have seen me reduce it to shorter distances (2 1/2-4 miles). Try and vary your routes and throw in some cross country as well.