Running to the gym ?

I used to run under 3 miles there and sometimes a bit further back. It's an experience if you do legs at the gym. The big problem is being sweaty as hell and coming out for the trip back.

I dont think you can overtrain in running lol as long as you take in the right supplements, when i get there i go workout and then run back.

deano1986 said:
I dont think you can overtrain in running lol as long as you take in the right supplements, when i get there i go workout and then run back.
If you're fit enough to handle 11.5 miles run and a good circuit at the Gym crack on, If not you'll know about it when you're reduced to a gibbering shadow of your former self due to overtraining.

Oh right i see where your coming from mate, i dont go on the track i just use the weights. i would be absolutely f**ked trying to run home lol

5.8 miles is a good run, but doing it to the gym and back means you're doing 11.6 miles everyday (if you attend the gym everyday). I run to mine which is about 3 miles and run back, go to the gym every other day, and ride a bike to the swimming pool in between!

deano1986 said:
You can overtrain with running, unfortunately. Not giving your body time to recover can lead to exacerbating old injuries and giving yourself new ones.

Click

These guys explain it much better than I can, a good read :)

-Tango

editted for syntax

deano1986 said:
Do you mostly get shin splints when you run on the road then ?
One of the causes of shinsplints can be overstriding, and suffering from the impact, especially if you're not used to running much, or you up the level you do. Also, poor running technique. People do say that running on road transfers more of the impact up your leg, as opposed to running on grass, which is a little bit softer. Up to you to decide which is best for you.

-Tango

Depends on the distance; a 4 mile run followed by a free weights session 3 times a week, with an additional run on a non-gym day, is fine for a fat civvie like me.

Running is all about punishing yourself, if you punish yourself enough, any workout will be a breeze.

But don't punish yourself too much.

If you have built up slowly to your 40 plus miles a week you will probably be fine. If you have gone from running ten miles a week to that I reckon you'll burn out pretty soon due to over training. However as you are only 22 or so you can probably get away with it a lot more than some one in their early thirties!

For me 15 miles a week is about my limit I make the rest up on the bike & swimming.

You might also want to consider what pace you are running at, I'd suggest keeping most of it slow (8.5 - 9 min mile) and then on one of the runs to the gym aim for 7 min miles or better.

You will benefit most if you do vary the pace, how long does it take you at the moment?