Running Threads, Challenges & Sites that ARRSE Members should be aware of...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by tiamo69, Mar 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Everyone;

just letting you know about a few sites, threads, challenges etc that may interest ARRSE members...
    (looking through Forum, decided this is probably best place to locate this, even though it wouild get more 'through traffic', in General...)

I'm going to start the ball rolling by posting a few links below & please feel free to add oyur own 'relevant' links...

No1:
    Fetch Everyone - Armed Forces Fetchies...

An excellent, informative & friendly website; dedicated to training & general ribaldry (although with a lot more 'decorum' than ARRSE, as we're talking civvies!).

There is an Armed Forces thread on the Forum; which happens to be one of the most popular threads but, at present, it's mainly Ex-RAF or Navy & we need more Team Green on board!

Fetcheveryone - Armed Forces Fetchies - Running Logs, Race Calendars, Personal Bests, Pictures and Running Clubs

come & sign up & join in the banter...

2. Challenge66

Challenge66 will see Andy McMenemy, the son of a former soldier establish a new Guinness World Record for consecutive ultra marathons (50km) with no rest days. During Challenge66 Andy will run 66 Ultra Marathons in 66 Days, one from each of the 66 official Cities in the United Kingdom.

well worth getting involved in, whether you assist as a Marshall, run a few miles with Andy or do 1 of the full Ultra distances with him...

this challenge deserves the support of ARRSE members...

3. parkrun...

if you haven't heard about this, you soon will...

parkrun organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs around the world. They are open to everyone, free, and are safe and easy to take part in.
    These events take place in pleasant parkland surroundings and we encourage people of every ability to take part; from those taking their first steps in running to Olympians; from juniors to those with more experience; we welcome you all.

expanding like crazy throughout the uk & starting to catch on overseas...
    like all the best ideas, this is one of the simplest & is well worth getting involved with, even if you only come along & do the odd 5K run (just over 3 miles & piece of p*ss for all you old sweats...)

check out the Events page, if there isn't an event near you, there soon will be!!!

parkrun events

4. I think these parkrun guys have seriously underestimated the size of the world!

Interested in the Challenge66 idea... will take a look.

5. indeed Sneak...

well, just to let you know, at present, parkrun is mainly taking over the UK; however, they are already known around the world, as NIKE are one of the main sponsors & have been involved for several years now...

This month 2 new parkruns start on the Gold Coast & i can't see it being long before the Australians & then Kiwis, catch the bug...
    There are lots of mutterings with regards the US & Canada and parkrun is proving to be very successful in Denmark; so i expect the rest of Europe will (eventually) sign up...

With regards Challenge66, i'm hoping to run with Andy in both Birmingham & Wolverhampton for about 10 miles each day, maybe even go half marathon distance...

6. As describe Challenge66 challenge, it is really inspirable to every ARRSE members. It shows the success in the continuity.

7. I'm always looking forward to new and exciting efeds for my imagination. I will look into it.

8. Challenge66 & ABF: The Soldier's Charity

Please support Andy McMenemy & Challenge66.

Andy is running 66 Consecutive 50km Ultra Marathons in each of the 66 Cities of the UK, finishing on his 50th Birthday.

Andy has already run through 2 Challenge ending injuries & is now well on road to recovery & good spirits.

I had the pleasure of inviting Andy to run with us at 'Cannon Hill parkrun' (Cannon Hill parkrun home) Birmingham yesterday & went on to run 13.66 miles with him (just over 1/3rd Distance!)

please, if you can spare a donation, no matter how small, support Andy's Challenge & the Soldier's Charity @

Challenge66

picture of Andy finishing in 7hrs 10 in Birmingham yesterday:
    yfrog Photo : yfrog Photo : http://yfrog.com/h79gjmgbj Shared by Challenge66 Shared by Challenge66

9. Challenge66

66 50Km Ultra Marathons in 66 Days - Raising Funds for ABF: The Soldier's Charity

Final Run is this Friday, 20th of May, at York Racecouse.

As well as being the last run of Andy McMenemy's Challenge; it will also be his 50th Birthday!

Good article in this week's Sunday Mirror (see below):
    Marathon man Andy McMenemy is running 66 ultra-marathons in 66 days - mirror.co.uk

After running with Andy at 3 events (13.66 miles at Birmingham on St George's Day / 14.95 miles on 25th Aoril at Lichfield & then 15-16 miles at Preston on 2nd of May) I'll be joining Andy in York for his last & my first Ultra Marathon.

Driving up from Birmingham, to join team on Thursday evening; where we'll all be spending the night at Imphal Barracks, York.

If you're in the area, come along to the race course & show your support.

Registration is from 08.00
    Run starts at 10.00
    Expect it to finish around 16.30 - 17.30.

10. @R4R good luck tomorrow, hope media junket went well today...

will try to make a donation 2

11. R4R

R4R

12. R4R

R4R