Running Speed

I'm improving on my running distances and am getting back to the 3 mile mark with regular ease though I think i'm running a little too slow. What speed should I be looking at, pref. in MPH

Thanks in advance

If you use a motorcar you can achieve a reasonable speed close to 60+ mph, which should mean you do 3 miles in around 10 minutes. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Gunny Highway said:
If you use a motorcar you can achieve a reasonable speed close to 60+ mph, which should mean you do 3 miles in around 10 minutes. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Do you not mean 3 minutes? 60mph- 1 minute mile

delinquent said:
I'm improving on my running distances and am getting back to the 3 mile mark with regular ease though I think i'm running a little too slow. What speed should I be looking at, pref. in MPH

Thanks in advance
Jog- 10 mins / mile
Slow Run- 8 mins / mile
Fast Run- 6 mins / mile

So, between 6 and 10mph.

Good speed for your better than average runner is to clock a 6 minute mile, this speed is used as the benchmark for many races, i.e 36 min 10K; 60 min 10 miler etc. Takes a bit of doing though and will need a fair bit of practice and variation in your training. Good luck.

Thanks for all the responses so far! I'm still at what shaytan calls a jog and from pretty much what every one has said I'll look at getting my arsse into gear and running faster...

Would people say just keep incrementing the speed or to do more "fartlek" type training? Would emulating a bleep test help with this?

Thanks in advance

You need to increase distance and speed mate, try getting out 3-4 times per week and gradually increase your distance but not too much too soon, on one of the runs you need to be doing what is called interval/tempo training, bit like fartlek but harder. Just jog out for a mile or so then try and do 5 minutes as hard as you can then jog to recovery and try to do it again, depending on the level you're out you can adjust the time you run hard, it'll help if you've got a Heart Rate Monitor but it depends on how serious you want to get about it, I'm speaking from a personal point of view but I've been running competitively for about 25 years and it works for me.

delinquent said:
Thanks for all the responses so far! I'm still at what shaytan calls a jog and from pretty much what every one has said I'll look at getting my arsse into gear and running faster...

Would people say just keep incrementing the speed or to do more "fartlek" type training? Would emulating a bleep test help with this?

Thanks in advance
run at 70 - 80% of your max heart rate...
This will aide your fitness, yes "Fartlek" aides running speed, but I would concentrate on the actual running bit first...

Basic method used to get you max heart rate is 220 minus your age...But remember this won't be spot on, but its easy!

:)

Work on distance rather than speed, though do throw in say one fartlek session a week. Try not to do to much speed work as it it very intense on your body and if you overdo it you will get injuries (like I did to my cartlidges)

If you live near fields, run along them, or if their is grass along any back roads you use, jump on the grass for a bit, my routes are mainly road but I get atleast a bit of time on "softer ground" - its good to work the balance of your feet and eases stress off your joints atleast a little bit. Also depending on the ground it could be harder to do - Train Hard Fight Easy :) (or run easy... )

delinquent said:
Okay, cheers for all the advice fellas :)

Will be out hitting the street tonight so I'll add a mile or so on it!
To be honest geezer I think you are better concentrating on time as opposed to distance. I would just go for a 30-40 minute run; that way the fitter you get the further you will run. If you say "I'll run for 3-4-5 miles," as you get fitter your runs will become shorter and you'll not be training as efficiently as if you say "I'll run for 30-40 minutes,” In those 30-40 minutes you can mix it up, do fatrlex, target heart rate zones and sprints etc. I believe that is a much better workout, but that's just my opinion.

Who are you joining mate?

I'm planning on joining 4 Para so, I know I have to not only increase my speed and distances. I've given myself a year to get the fitness levels up to a standard that will make life easier and to lose the excess bulk. I know these two will go hand in hand, I just have to stop dodging salad and exercise :)

Thing is I'm an ex reg that was medically discharged from the RMP and although I've been given the all clear and nod from my civvy doc, I know I need to be in the prime of fitness and muscle build etc and one of the best on the day if I even want to get a look in.

I know they'll send me to selection and I don't want to be in the middle, I want to be there at the front and showing that my previous injury and age (32) isn't an issue. From what I have read from the hreads elsewhere it seems this is why they do the selection weekends. I just don't want to be binned for lack of preparation.

You can also get some speed gains by tweaking your actual running technique. Try not to let the arms come across the body, keep the elbows at a roughly 90 degree angle and swing through the full range of motion.

Don't lean too far forward or back, the point of impact should be just forward of the mid-point of the foot and concentrate on pulling the leg backwards in each stride to utilise the power of the gluteals and hamstrings to best effect.

To begin with this m,ethod is more knackering than traditional jogging, but with time the body adapts. If done correctly this technique is faster and more energy effecient.

linky

I have always run pretty flat footed or heel - toe, from what you've said it seems that I've been doing it wrong all the time. When you mention that you should have POI just forward of the mid-point ball of the foot, I'm envisaging that you don't actually use your heel at all, though to be honest, even with just walking around the office, I feel like I'm walking on tip toes trying to emulate what you said. Oh and I look stupid doing it.

the comment about running for time rather than distance - all well and good for treadmills, but for a decent run outside I find I need to get back to where I started (home) - this is sometimes difficult with the time thing as running involves a circuit rather than an "out and back" approach.

However if you are like me, how i explained above, to combat the problem of getting faster so running less time - keep upping the distance so it never gets easy. Don't focus on getting better at a certain run, screw with the route you do and the distances, run shorter / longer and generally dont let your body get used to one route.

On the subject: www.nikeplus.com - this just started getting advertised in my gym... anyone touch it/think it would be a good tool?

I think the whole can't run for distance on the streets is complete tosh, but we'll agree to disagree.

The thing about running for time is that it does not present a mental challenge. You tell yourself I only have to run to High Street, the pub, Tescos etc. and the body prepares itself for that. When Delinquent tips up at 4PARA I seriously doubt they will tell him "Ok lads a 4 miler today, out to the end of the park and back," all he is going to get is "Prepare to double," / "Double," so it is important that he starts conditioning his mind to run until he is told to stop. Although, I totally agree that the runs should be mixed up - short fast runs, medium slow runs and long jogs as well as fartlex, sprints and intervals.

When I go for a run I load two equal length playlists (normally 25 minutes each) onto my I Pod. I run until the end of the first playlist, incorporating fartlex and intervals (I do 90%mhr-80%-90%-70%-90%-80%-90%). I then go into the nearest open area (I live near lots of fields) and do a short session of press ups, sit ups, burpees, starjumps and suicides. I then run at 80% of my heart rate for the duration of the second playlist. Normally I cover just under 8 miles in this time and my start and finish point are at my front door. I mix up sprints, fartlex, intervals and runs, this way I'm keeping the body guessing and don't fall into a routine that is comfortable for the body. I also do the MSFT regularly to build CV fitness.

I'm only a TA driver so probably not the best person to give advice on PT. I changed my PT schedule dramatically to really push myself as I'm applying to the regulars and I can proudly say that by running the abovementioned way I cut my BFT time from an embarrassing 11:48 to 09:17 and added 25 press ups and 30 sit ups to my score.

Running like most things is each to his own, and Delinquent you just need to find what is right for you. Either way good luck with 4PARA mate, I recall seeing them train one drill night in the Kelvingrove Park- rather you than me! :wink:

Edited to add: this link may be of interest to you Delinquent, linky 4PARA training programme

The_Duke

LE
delinquent said:
I'm planning on joining 4 Para so, I know I have to not only increase my speed and distances. I've given myself a year to get the fitness levels up to a standard that will make life easier and to lose the excess bulk. I know these two will go hand in hand, I just have to stop dodging salad and exercise :)

Thing is I'm an ex reg that was medically discharged from the RMP and although I've been given the all clear and nod from my civvy doc, I know I need to be in the prime of fitness and muscle build etc and one of the best on the day if I even want to get a look in.

I know they'll send me to selection and I don't want to be in the middle, I want to be there at the front and showing that my previous injury and age (32) isn't an issue. From what I have read from the hreads elsewhere it seems this is why they do the selection weekends. I just don't want to be binned for lack of preparation.
Delinquent, you have been misled there. The insight weekends are there to give you a look at 4 Para and the role, kit etc, and to do a lot of admin. There is no real "selection" as such unless you fail the risk reduction run (1.5 miles in under 14 mins). However, if you turn up looking like jabba the hut you will also be advised not to start the next cadre.

The binning only starts on the proper recruit cadre, which is progressive. If you have a good start state of fitness and continue to work hard in your own time, there is no reason for you to get binned. Most who get binned are not strong enough mentally for the challenges, or kid themselves by not training enough in their own time.

When you can do the 1.5 mile run in somewhere between 9.30 and 10.30, you are at a reasonable starting point.

Good luck.