Running im not a fatty!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ArmyisMyDream, Jun 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi, basically for the last month I've been getting a pain in one of my thighs. After doing some research around its seems like its definetly my hip muscle on the inside of my leg. I run 4.5 miles every other day usually but have had to stop this because of the injury. Does anyone know any ways apart from rest that could speed up my recovery and prevent this happening again?

all help appreciated

2. hey. i used to get the same problem as you, sometimes it'd only be after i'd finished running, and then other times it'd be while i was running.
    after going to my doctor i found out i was over working a muscle too much, i needed to build it up.
    i know it sounds silly since doing 4.5 miles every other day your obviously very healthy, but there is such a thing as too much.
    if you find it hurts at a similar time every time you run, reduce your running amount, or speed.
    ease up on it for a few weeks, that did it for me.
  3. H3

H3 LE

try stretching to start of with and much the same after the run .... if all fails amputation is the next step ! simples ..... :0)
  4. yh stretching does seem to help slightly but doesn't completely stop the pain. its defo a muscle issue thaks for the advice anyways
  5. Sit on the floor with your back straight and press the soles of your feet together. Pull the heels into your groin and let your knees drop out to the sides.

Slight pressure can be used but nothing else - especially someone else. You can do this for at least 10 minutes and relax whilst you do it. Let the tension flow out and away. Do it a couple of times every day.

Then lie on your back, bend your left leg and place the outside of your right ankle on top of the left thigh up near the knee. Hold the back of your left leg with both hands and squeeze your leg to your face. Not too much and hold for about 5 slow breaths. Do the other side and repeat a few times.

Do a good stretchy warm up - knees bend, arms stretch sort of thing - and go for your run. When you've finished, do a bit of walking and stretch the legs. Look really hard and like you've done 15 miles really quickly (mainly up hill) when you've actually done 4 miles on the flat. Look intensely at your watch and mutter 'damn, damn' under your breath. It all helps, you know...

After a few years you'll be saying "Feck that" and start walking again but you will get it out of your system.
  6. i had it before mate don't worry after a couple of weeks of easing back on it abit you will be better and able to push yourself harder again.

also one thing that helped recover mine quite quickly was to put my leg out backwards, behind me so that the top of my shoe was parallel to a wall and lean back to stretch your thigh, bend your other knee slightly to stretch it harder, if you hold it for a good half a minute and release the pain will go away for a while, when it starts hurting later in the day just do it again.
  7. Hi mate
    I have had a few problems with stuff like this in the past, and I bought a book, imaginatively enough, called "Stretching" by a bloke called Bob Anderson - it was about a tenner on Amazon. (ISBN No 9780936 070223)

Can't rate it enough, there are stretches in there that will help with any minor ache or pain.

8. yh myt have to buy it then because to be honest I've always done alot of running but never been keen or known much about stretching. Only stretching i ever do before a run are for my calf muscles and thats about it.
  9. Rest the affected muscle for the next fortnight. If it still causes pain, you may have sustained a complete tear of the muscle (most likely the iliopsoas). Consult your GP for a full and correct diagnosis.

As for [static] stretching before a run - don't. Or before any activity that is dynamic in nature, for that matter. Static stretching (holding a stretch for a certain length of time) reduces the contractile strength of muscle fibres - your strength and explosive power is not at its maximum for anywhere up to an hour following a stretch. It also messes with your proprioceptors, so your co-ordination is off. Prior to running, warm up with exercises that mimic the main activity of your workout (walking, jogging, lunges) followed by dynamic stretches - leg lifts to the front and rear.