Running on the beach

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by icecold, Dec 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. icecold

icecold Clanker Reviewer

To cut along story short, I have not been able to do any training for about half a year due to a mixture of ligament damage in my ankle and shin splints. Now I'm all rested up and recouperated I am ready to start training again. Obviously I don't want to go straight out and do running on roads, and want to break myself in gently, so to speak. I live literally 200 metres from some nice big football pitches which I can run on, which should start me off nicely. However I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to doing a session once or twice a week running on the beach? It's only a 20 mile round trip. So do you guys think there would be any benefit in it, or should I stick to the football fields?
  2. If you can run 10 miles to the beach to train why are you worried about fitness? :)
  3. You have to think would be easyer on your legs, shins, knees. running on grass dose less damage. You also have to think what type of beach it is, as in sand or big pebbles. If its pebbles then you have to also think about possibly slipping and twisting your ankle in witch case you will be back at square one
  4. Running on wet sand is bad for the joints so I'm told

Running on dry sand is a nightmare
    I was in thailand for a few weeks and did a few beach runs.
    I walk a little bit slower on pavement then I run on sand
  5. As long as you don't try running in Morecombe bay ;)
  6. icecold

icecold Clanker Reviewer

Ah I thought it was the Chinese Olympic squad practicing for the Beijing Olympics, that's where I got the idea from!

No seriously cheers for the advice lads, looks like I'll stick to grass for a while atleast.
  7. Be alright. You got all those chinese bodies to stop you sinking in the sand.
  8. walking is a massivley underated form of exercise
  9. Running on the beach is ideal, if it was an option, it would be the only thing I'd run on.

Run barefoot too.

10. sand wrecks trainer for sure
  11. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I love sand running. At home i live about a ten minute run away from a sand quarry thats become disused, running up and down that bad boy sorts the men from the boys!
  12. I have a friend, a Polish ex-Olympian, now in his seventies, who still coaches tennis, swims butterfly and runs daily.
    He moved to Spain, specifically so that he could run on the beach as he finds it easier on his joints.
    As an unrelated aside, he puts his extraordinary health and vigour down to his lifelong daily plate of raw cabbage with oil and black pepper.