Running on roads

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by liame30, Aug 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im currently running on dirt/grass tracks and cycling to get myself fitter for basic training in November. Does it matter that I rarely run on a road or should I be running more on roads to get my body/shins in used to it? I dont want to get shin splints while in basic due to not running on the correct surface!

Thanks for any help.
  2. You should do a mixture, running off road has many advantages but train as you expect to fight (I'd do more off road), also if possible try running on sand (ie the beach).
  3. Ok thanks for that, I will stick to running round my farm then.
  4. Yeh do a mixture as it will work your joints in different ways. Sticking to road is a fast way to injury, so run on anything you can!
  5. After knee and back grief, a highly quallied sports physio told me to run somewhere that you need to think about every footfall, and with varying up and down gradients. He said that if yourun on tarmac or even sports field rolled grass, your footfall is the same EVERY time. Permannet, flat, and even surfaces do not often occur in the natural environment. In his experienced opinion this leads to a type of repetitve strain injury (RSI) of the muscles, ligamnets and tendond involved, and to uneven wear on cartilage pads.
    He explained it as like driving your car in the exact same left hand circle on smooth concrete for all your mileage; whilst most of the car's running gear will be like new, the tyres will be through to the canvas in one partical part in no time.

PS Can I have your farm when you join up?
  6. That's interesting, never thought of it like that.

I personally hate running on roads and always stray onto rights of way and bridle paths as I find flat road running boring as hell.
  7. i would do more cross country running and find some steep hills if possible to build up your staminia an mental fitness, because at the end of the day if you quit in your head it doesant matter how fit u are
  8. Thanks for that, makes sense. I hate running on roads, it starts to get painful round the ankle area and as Ian1983 said its very boring plus you have to keep a look out for cars.
    I certainly have to think about every footfall as the fields are very uneven/hilly with tractor/combine tracks. However I also have to be carefull I dont fall over and cause an injury!

Sure you can have my farm but all the fields will be ploughed by the time I go to basic!
  9. Ploughed fields not a problem. I'll get down to the garden centre and buy a few (thousand?) packets of seeds, I presume that's the bit that comes next.

I watched Hugh Furry Milkingstool at River Cottage and payed close attention. When I was at school I successfully grew a runner bean in a jar of water and blotting paper, so this farming lark should be a piece of piss!

Good luck with your training and I wish you a successful military career, pay heed to mickeymouse's words about mental fitness. I've seen old sweats that looked closer to Rick Waller than Andy McNab outrun skinny whippets just because they've done it before and they know they can.

10. Haha well you have a rough idea, just need to invest in some cultivators and drilling equipment, although i just tried to run round a cultivated field and it wasnt very easy. Il stick to the tracks.

Yea thanks for that, are you ex-army? I will remember mickeymouse's words, I can see them being very relevent when things get hard. Ive never seen 'old sweats' out run 'skinny whippets' must be quite a sight!
  11. I'm ex Dad's Army!STAB/Weekend Warrior.

I was once briefly in the cubs (kicked out for extremist views), and owned an air pistol, just in case that sounds any more rock'n'roll.

The TA Infantry Coy I 'attended' contained people of er... all shapes and sizes. I was always keen on my fitness, but there were plenty of 'more -rounded' senior figures in the company. But sometimes they'll surprise you, with mental fitness and the need to lead from the front being key factors. Often the real leveller was somewhere hot and hilly with bergen, belt kit, CBA, ammo, a couple of 351 batteries and mortar rounds for good measure; being sticky thin with a fast BFT time didn't seem to help much then.

If you are fit first, you will actually enjoy training. It generally seemed that the fitter ones amongst us acclimatised to heat stress more quickly.

Keep posting up to let us know of your progress.

Tally Ho

I'm off to sort the drainage in the lower field sir......
  12. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Yes, far better training off tarmac, you'll be stronger and more adaptable, and less prone to injury, unless you fall into the recently dug drainage ditch.
    However your fitness test run (half mile warm up and 1.5 mile run) will be on tarmac and other training runs too, so just do one run a week on the road, half an hour will be plenty. The test these days is in running kit. Old sweats used to do it in boots, puttees and denims.

From an old sweat and a skinny whippet.