Running on a treadmill...dont shoot me!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SOLSTICE, Mar 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Would running on a treadmill be better for my shins than on the pavement, I feel a reasonable amount of pain after running on concrete. My run time is under 10 mins so was wondering if a treadmill will be okay to maintain my time?

2. Find a park!

3. A treadmill has spring in it so it may help you short term only.

4. I have selection on the 23rd of this month so I don't want to run on the pavement/road in case of injury or make my pain worse. If the treadmill has a spring in it then that should help, i'll stick to the repetitive running machine until selection then :(.

5. Try running on an elliptical machine, or using a bike, no impact.

6. Stick to running on roads because treadmills are gash.
    Heres a Top Tip for you if your really worried about impact type injurys, because we all love top tips - Ditch your running trainers for a decent set of knee high wellington boots. Fill the wellies with a little bit of sand and wear them while out running, you will find that this method will decrease your chances of picking up any "impact" type injurys normally sustained when running on road surfaces. Hope this helps.

7. I'd rather snap my shins than look like a farmer who can't find the seaside.

8. I got my runtime down in the park to what I was happy with, then kept on training on a spin bike(an excersise bike would be alright i surpose) and a cross trainer then tested my self in the park once a week!

Worked for me!

9. Run on grass. Much less impact.

I would also agree with bungle, elliptical or bike are better then nothing.

Racking up the resistance on a spin bike and standing up and 'running' like that is pretty hard aswell (plus it strengthens the knee joint without the impact which helps when you run properly).

10. Running on softer surfaces such as grass will reduce the amount of stress and impact on your joints but make sure to pay attention to the terrain, nothing quite like a rabbit hole to hinder your progress!

11. If you're near a beach; sand is an excellent surface to run on. Especially where it has been washed perfectly flat by the tide. Suck in that sea air.

12. We can't all find the high seas being in Brumistan and all.

13. If you cant run on roads (hard surface) now, without feeling some pain, what you gonna be like in training ??? :roll:

14. Used on of these at the gym today [​IMG], sweated like a pig when i was using it, but didn't really feel out of breath, didn't feel nowhere near as effective as a 10 minute run but hopefully it'll keep my fitness up.

15. I think the point is that i have damaged my shins from running on concrete too much and too soon and with incorrect form maybe. I ran every day, sometimes twice as i was eager to get my time down.

I am looking at ways to keep my fitness up until my shins feel better so i can return to running on hard surfaces, just not as much as before, maybe 3-4 times a week not everyday and mix it up with grass running aswell.

And i've been told a lot of the running at basic isn't actually on roads it's more off road and in the woods type of stuff.