Running older games on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by inbredyokel666, Apr 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can'r get W7 to run four older games, which are up to 10 years old.

Two of them sort of run:
    When I press their start icons once, the task manager shows the exe and associated exe's are running, but nothing game related actually happens.
    They will run if I press their start icons again...effectively "running" them twice. This does slow the system down but it doesn't matter because it can easily cope.

The third game: press the start icon once, and the same happens. When I press the icon for a second time, a dialogue box appears and declares that I don't have enough memory to run it.

The fourth game just won't install.

The discs are free from scratches and I'm using a fairly decent spec system: Windows 7, 64 bit, Duo core II 3.2ghz, 5 Ghz Ram, ATI with 1.2 ghz RAM.

I think I have a backwards compatability problem.

Any suggestions please?
  2. Yes, plus depending on which version you have there's XP mode as well, which consists of it running a Windows XP in a virtual machine.

Alternatively, if your machine has some power, try virtualbox ( which will allow you to run virtual version of whatever old windows you want - I use it at home to let my son play some old games built for Windows 95.
  3. Thanks folks appreciate the help.