Running - no stamina

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by xvellersx, Jun 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I've been training to run for ages, but I can't seem to run long distances without stopping. The longest I can run non-stop is 0.5 miles (pathetic, I know). Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do? I've been doing runs on every other day for the past two months.

2. Sounds like you're not ready to use running to improve your aerobic fitness. Instead try swimming, which has the advantage of forcing you to exert yourself but control your breathing. Also hit the hills for 5-10 mile hikes at the weekend and take it from there.

What do you feel is the main reason for needing to stop; out of breath or muscle pain?

3. You need to improve your cardiovascular fitness.

4. The only thing you can do is keep training, every run you do go that little bit further. Even if its 50m just keep gradually building it up. You will get fit if you just keep doing it, but you must push yourself. Its as much mental as it is actual fitness. Don't give up easy, fight the pain and you will reap the rewards. :)

5. Sounds to me like you are not pushing yourself hard enough, i took my 18 yr old nephew out for a run a few weeks back and he was very much the same, however he could still hold a conversation when he stopped. :? ...

Most young lads do not know what their bodies are capable of, unless you have someting medically wrong with you, you should jog at a comfortable pace, do not sprint off and blow yourself out. You should easily be able to jog for a comfortable 30 - 40 mins, increase the pace at certain intervals and also increase the time you are out by 5 mins every week or so...you will soon build up your stamina.

6. You could try using the fartlek method. Try and get a distance, say 50 metres, visualised in your mind, sprint that, then walk the same distance at a brisk pace. Repeat as needed. This will give your heart, lungs and muscles a brief respite before sprinting again. As mentioned, a lot is down to willpower as well as physical fitness.

7. Other suggestion are good, but you have said you have been training to run for ages so I'm going to give you some different advice (since you haven't said if you get heavy legs or just out of breath).

Get a route set that takes you 20-30 minutes regardless of how many stops you make. Each run, make the first place you stop further then the last time, if it's only 10m away, it adds up. You'll invariably remove stops as you run further and further without that first stop until you can run the whole route non stop. When you can do that, note your time and run faster from then on. Don't try and run it as fast as you can until you can complete the route. That might be what you're doing, shooting your load too early.

8. msr

msr LE

Are you anaemic?

9. I'm a girl, but I guess it's the same story, huh?

Thanks for all the replies so far! My problem is mainly getting out of breath... I don't have asthma and I'm not anaemic so I'm guessing it must just be CV fitness... anyone got any tips on how I'll be able to run 1.5 miles non-stop by the end of the month? Doesn't matter so much about how long it takes me to do it...

10. Interested to know how that would effect her stamina?

11. Slow the pace down, don't stop running, and bring a friend to help keep you motivated... it can be very easy to quit when you don't have anyone watching you.

12. msr

msr LE

And frustrated when there is no external sign that anything is wrong, but you just can't make it round your usual running routes ;)

I would recommend that you get your iron levels checked, especially if you are a girl.

msr

13. msr

msr LE

Or the thought of being beaten by a 58 year old: http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=124617.html

14. Yeah pretty much, i blame computer games etc.

If you are out of breath and the time taken to run 1.5 miles is not important, then slow down and pace yourself, start by running just a little quicker than you walk, time it as mentioned before and then use that as a target to beat, so on and so forth. I would be very very suprised if you can not jog 1.5 miles without stopping at a very slow pace..

What is your resting pulse rate?

15. 78 BPM