Running in plastic bags

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by chocolate_frog, Sep 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Saw an advert for some plastic bag running vests.

At about 10 quid for eight vests, it seems a tad expensive. But my real question is...

Apart from sweating out water, what other weight loss benefits do such vests provide? Do they really help you lose weight with fat loss?

And more to the point, do you have to spend such money on what are essentially plastic bags or can you just wear bin bags?

Any ideas?

2. I suppose you could just save money by running harder and faster thus still sweating loads and improving phys at the same time!

(And saving a tenner...)

The idea seems a little strange, running in a carrier bag that is.

3. It is n odd one.

But the advert claimed some sort of fat wastage too. Just wondering about the science bit really.

4. The idea is that sweat more = weight loss.
    The truth is, yep you will sweat more but you are only losing water so after you rehydrate yourself, total weight loss will be exactly the same as if you had not had a sauna suit on.

Boxers have been using this system for ever and for them it works because they will undoubtably be on a very strict diet and will be training the whole day, every day for months on end.

for weight loss just dig in to phys and sort your diet out.

It is all about hard work and discipline, simple.

5. We were encouraged to run wearing a bin liner to get weight down for Judo competitions, I ended up getting into the next weight category down, but only just. It can't have been a clever thing to do, just doesn't seem sane looking back at it now.

6. That´s pretty much what I thought , but the advert made out that there were some long term fat shiftage as part of the deal.

Like I say I couldn´t figure out how that happened.

7. A pal of mine, serving WO, swears by them. He has combined running in these along with Thermabol and he has lost a lot of weight. I tried thermabol once but all it did was dehydrate me and its not very effective if you like a beer every now and again.

On the flip side, not long after I joined up a pal of mine from school, fat lad, started running in a bin liner and keeled over and died with some sort of hypothermia. I do believe that on the post mortem they said that he's hardly been drinking so......

I guess, the jury is out with me

8. The water loss aside because that's been covered, the extra heat generated by the insulation of the bag will result in more stress to the body and a lower running speed which will mean less calories burned during the actual run (dehydation is a SOB for stamina and power generation).

I've used sauna suits to strip weight, but it was all water weight and came back within 5 hours

9. When at Headly Court a number of years ago one of the inmates/patients asked if he could do all his rehab in one to aid weight loss, the PTI told him if he turned up wearing one it would be a race between the sweat suit and the SPTI to as to which would kill him first. So he just got stuck and did the work.

10. It's not purely a case of sweating out the water and thus weight loss, which isn't much use to anyone except those looking to make a weigh-in.

The science bit is that certain fats in your body become soluable over 40-something degrees, so the fat can then be sweated out in the water. The same concept as sweat suits used by pro boxers. Definitely works.

11. If you're overheating to 40 degrees, you're ******* yourself over - that's brain-cooking territory.

The science behind it is all to do with COMPENSATION for dehydration. Basically, when you're dehydrated, your body lyses fat stores to release water stored within them.

And they're better than running in bin bags, as bin bags have all sorts of toxins in them which can be absorbed through the skin.

12. I thought it was when your body temperature goes up due to the heat being unable to escape through the plastic your heart works faster at pumping blood round to cool you, thus burning more calaries

13. I think that's right - you are trying to generate the maximum power because that causes you to use oxygen to burn calories, at the rate of 5kcal per litre of oxygen consumed, per minute. If you heat yourself a) you can work less hard, produce less power, consume fewer calories, and b) ironically, you use fewer calories keeping yourself warm as well.

Beasting yourself in the cold where you can lose the heat, work at your hardest, and burn most energy is best. The idea that fat needs to be heated to be used seems pretty dubious. There is such a narrow window of operating temperature for humans I would need some convincing that a human could compromise their work efficiency by becoming hot (a dead-cert known factor in lower performance) and gain overall because their energy source had become so much better.

There are loads of books titled "The Physiology of Exercise". Companies and journalists should be made to read one of them :D

14. I never ran in a plastic bag - but I wnaked in a sock!!

15. I'm not being sure if you're being serious here or not.

I do hope not.

You'll notice for example if running in hot temperatures you're not covered in a fine layer of grease, which would be the case if your 'science bit' was correct.

Pro boxers don't use sweat suits to 'sweat out fat'. They use them for last minute dehydration. They do however wear a few extra layers (hoodies mainly) during pad sessions because the sweat remains on you and you have to lug around that extra weight for your rounds which helps with stamina. It also helps to get used to the heat that you get in the ring under those bloody spot lights they use.

On a side note- The weight stripping happens during the build up phase, which is why pro boxers like to have a minimum of 8 weeks preparation. It happens through vast amounts of work.