Running in my 50s (and running out of steam!)

conjurer

Old-Salt
Hodgkins Lymphoma - Nodular Sclerosis - Stage 2A

Kept me skinny and helped my running no end! :) Even created a slipstream effect on my head :oops:

From a 78 year old.....be careful, your body wears out eventually. Best of luck.

From a 78 year old.....be careful, your body wears out eventually. Best of luck.

It does, now 61 and after leaving the regulars at 55, I stopped running and substituted distance swimming (a mile at a time). Knees and hips still fine and have lost quite a bit of weight - still do lots of speed and distance walking as well.

But, for the first time this year, I'm noticing that I'm starting to tire at the high-end of exercise, due to muscle fatigue rather than exhaustion...

I know this quite a recurring theme on these boards but here goes with some background.

I´m 57, 6´2" and I´ve dropped from 95kg to 88kg over the past couple of months, hoping to get down to 85kg by the end of Sept to be within BMI.

I was never a great runner in the army but I´ve always continued to maintain a minimum level of fitness. In the spring, I had some routine tests and STARLIGHT said my triglycerides are through the roof and my blood sugar is borderline. Blood pressure was fine. Recommended I lose a few kg, do some exercise and put me on Fenofibrates.

I eat pretty healthily but have to say I did hit the cheese during lockdown. I haven´t had an alcoholic drink in nearly a year and I don´t drink pop. So really all I could do was cut out the cheese and reduce quantity. I basically eat porridge every day (with just skimmed milk, water and salt), grilled fish or chicken and brown rice with salad for lunch and veggies for dinner. I drink gallons of water.

I´ve also hit the trails. I run about 6km three days a week, fast walk about 10km two days a week, play golf one day and have one rest day. I live in the hills outside Madrid and it´s very hilly so very knackering and hot at the moment.

So far so good. But the problem is, I´m just running out of steam. I can´t keep it up. I´m not sure if I´m doing myself more harm than good and that I should slow down a bit. I started getting blood rushes after standing up and now the feeling of light headedness is getting more regular. I´m going to get my blood pressure checked at the pharmacy today but my next blood test is not til the end of Sept.

So in lieu of seeking proper medical advice, I appeal to all you armchair experts and retired Mirror Technicians out there. How much exercise is too much in your late 50s? Should I slow down?

About 15 years back I broke my leg rather badly and it took surgery and a little longer than the usual six weeks before I could put any real weight on it. Like the Army, the job I had at the time also had a fitness test twice a year and I never had a problem with passing it.

During the time I was off I put on a few lbs and when it was safe to do so I started my daily exercise routine again. However I was not allowed to run for the next couple of months but was told that speed walking (if I was up to it) would be fine.

That's what I did for the next couple of months and it soon got the weight off and it wasn't long before I was running again. So you maybe might try some speed walking and see how that goes.

About 15 years back I broke my leg rather badly and it took surgery and a little longer than the usual six weeks before I could put any real weight on it. Like the Army, the job I had at the time also had a fitness test twice a year and I never had a problem with passing it.

During the time I was off I put on a few lbs and when it was safe to do so I started my daily exercise routine again. However I was not allowed to run for the next couple of months but was told that speed walking (if I was up to it) would be fine.

That's what I did for the next couple of months and it soon got the weight off and it wasn't long before I was running again. So you maybe might try some speed walking and see how that goes.

I have a slipped disc at L5/L6 give me gyp down my right leg, caused by take your pick from; falling off mountains climbing, or skiing, falling off motorcycles, and/or other general stupidity over the years. I also had a slipped disc in my neck at C5/C6 caused by a bad whiplash causing parachute opening around 12 years ago. Advice from my Orthopod consultant around 15 years ago was stop impact sports and running...........of course I listened, not.

Eventually the running had to stop so I took up cycling and sometimes walking with boots on and a light pack on my back. Nowdays I enjoy cycling as much as I used to enjoy running, it is non-impact and you can push yourself so you get that absolutely knackering, muscle killing, ripping your lungs out with barbed wire feeling that leaves you buzzing when it is over.

Three years ago I came off the (mountain) bike on a downhill section when there was a problem with the gear shift causing the chain to lock, bike stopped, I didn't. All my weight landed on my right knee and it came up like a balloon. Long story short it took two and a half years to heal internally to the point where I can go out and cycle again - eating pineapple was getting boring*. I put on some weight and lost some serious muscle tone in two and a half years. Since last November it has been dropping off at a steady pace (Christmas excepting) hitting the trails again alternating between 15 miles one day, and 25 the next with a longer killer on Sundays. I have not modified my diet as such, I do like my food, and the weight is going at about 1.5lbs - 2lbs a week. In around 5 to 6 weeks I will have reached my initial target weight and I will be happy.

I had the damaged disc in my neck replaced 2.5 years ago, but the long term effect of that was to cause noodle arms. Once I reach my initial target weight I will be doing some minor body building to bring my arms back up to where they used to be before they started to atrophy with the neck damage. Can't go drinking high protein shakes with excess weight as it might just make me put weight on in the wrong places.

It is all doable, it is just a case of getting on with it and doing it. As I have said before at 63, in the near future, I have a 17 year old at home who keeps me on my toes and who gives me no rest..........I'm sure the little fecker is trying to kill me for the life insurance and my Rolex Sub.

Life ain't a practice run for the real thing, it needs to be grabbed by the bollox and lived to the extreme.

Note: * Pineapple contains something, the name of which I forget, that promotes healing.

It does, now 61 and after leaving the regulars at 55, I stopped running and substituted distance swimming (a mile at a time). Knees and hips still fine and have lost quite a bit of weight - still do lots of speed and distance walking as well.

But, for the first time this year, I'm noticing that I'm starting to tire at the high-end of exercise, due to muscle fatigue rather than exhaustion...
I’m a couple of years younger than you, but I’m really noticing the muscle fatigue kick in. I swapped running for cycling ten years ago. I’m really noticing slower recovery after high intensity work. Takes me two days to recover from stuff I was doing every day a few years ago.

I’m a couple of years younger than you, but I’m really noticing the muscle fatigue kick in. I swapped running for cycling ten years ago. I’m really noticing slower recovery after high intensity work. Takes me two days to recover from stuff I was doing every day a few years ago.
Same here , used to be two hours recovery and now two days!!

Not sure why / what the science is behind this.

I´m with you all on the recovery time. I´ve been following a six day plan for the past five weeks. Three days running 5 - 6km and three days power walking 6 - 7.5km all with lots of hills and a 10 mile bash for Combat Stress thrown in last week. This morning my body just said STOP! Taking it easy this weekend.

Same here , used to be two hours recovery and now two days!!

Not sure why / what the science is behind this.
Protein synthesis is slower in older ages, which slows their ability to recover
Most days I eat a high protein diet of mainly chicken, tuna and turkey with snacks consisting of almonds and cashews. Muesli bar thing for breakers, bowl of fresh fruit mid day, electrolyte drink post exercise and chilled green tea most other times. Processed food is almost non-existent in our house.

Wednesdays and Sundays are cheat days where something less healthy is allowed For the main meal.

I read a paper years ago about the incidence of old people breaking their hips. The question was; do they fall and break their hips, or does their hip break and they fall? As you get older you take in less essential vitamins and minerals. In the case of calcium the body still needs it so it strips it out of the bones causing osteoporosis, it also makes old people smaller. Thinking was some old people lost so much calcium from their bones that they just snap under body weight. I have been taking calcium supplement for 30 years now. I also take vitamin C, D3 and B12, along with a couple of others to compensate for age related testosterone loss.

I stopped smoking 30+ years ago and get shitfaced if I sniff an empty wine glass........probably drink Twice a year, birthdays and Christmas.

Clint Eastwood has been on supplements and healthy living since his 30’s. He stacks around 16 supplement pills and drops them every day. Arnold Schwarzenegger swears blind that having modified his diet to more or less a high protein veggie diet still allows him to train. Arnie also swears by almond milk and loads of fruit.

Use crap fuel you get crap performance.

Latest Threads