Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running in my 50s (and running out of steam!)

Wee Hawken

Old-Salt
If I were you, I'd eat a couple of slices of toast or half your porridge before your run, and try again.

Good advice in my view. Running on an empty stomach is not especially clever. I eat a light breakfast (bowl of cereal) about 30 mins before going out and leave the Full English until I have come back and showered etc :cool:

OP - I am 56 and same height (and, yes, boot size) as you, albeit a few kg lighter. I exercise regularly - more this year than I have for ages thanks to the luxury of lockdown - running (mostly in hills) and a lot of miles on the bike. As I get older however, I find that the running just gets a bit harder - and the reality is that this is a one-way street and probably won't get better.

Maybe a few miles less on your feet, and get yourself a road bike? Spain is full of amazing roads and very little traffic. If however you are in the Guadarrama or similar it may not be especially flat...

I guess a "Couch to Superfit" for over 50`s program would be good , theres plenty out there in internetshire but its hard to know which ones to trust , I`d imagine you could easily fcuk your self up if you get it wrong.

I guess a "Couch to Superfit" for over 50`s program would be good , theres plenty out there in internetshire but its hard to know which ones to trust , I`d imagine you could easily fcuk your self up if you get it wrong.

Fitness takes time; years even. But if you're 50 and just about to start exercising, you've at least 10 years of improvements you can make before you'll see a decline. Possibly 15 years.

The biggest improvement will be in the first year-or-two, then they'll be harder to get, but still possible.

Find a reputable training program - for your age/fitness level - not one designed for a fit 20 year old.

A standard couch-to-5k is very good way to start.

That´s exactly where I am and the hills are ball breaking! Thinking seriously about a bike.
Can't be arrsed reading the whole thread.

Has anybody told you that you're training too much and eating too little yet? ;)

Oyibo

LE
I know this quite a recurring theme on these boards but here goes with some background.

I´m 57, 6´2" and I´ve dropped from 95kg to 88kg over the past couple of months, hoping to get down to 85kg by the end of Sept to be within BMI.

I was never a great runner in the army but I´ve always continued to maintain a minimum level of fitness. In the spring, I had some routine tests and STARLIGHT said my triglycerides are through the roof and my blood sugar is borderline. Blood pressure was fine. Recommended I lose a few kg, do some exercise and put me on Fenofibrates.

I eat pretty healthily but have to say I did hit the cheese during lockdown. I haven´t had an alcoholic drink in nearly a year and I don´t drink pop. So really all I could do was cut out the cheese and reduce quantity. I basically eat porridge every day (with just skimmed milk, water and salt), grilled fish or chicken and brown rice with salad for lunch and veggies for dinner. I drink gallons of water.

I´ve also hit the trails. I run about 6km three days a week, fast walk about 10km two days a week, play golf one day and have one rest day. I live in the hills outside Madrid and it´s very hilly so very knackering and hot at the moment.

So far so good. But the problem is, I´m just running out of steam. I can´t keep it up. I´m not sure if I´m doing myself more harm than good and that I should slow down a bit. I started getting blood rushes after standing up and now the feeling of light headedness is getting more regular. I´m going to get my blood pressure checked at the pharmacy today but my next blood test is not til the end of Sept.

So in lieu of seeking proper medical advice, I appeal to all you armchair experts and retired Mirror Technicians out there. How much exercise is too much in your late 50s? Should I slow down?

I'll probably be repeating what others have said, but here goes:

I am not many years younger than you, and back in the day I was very fit indeed - 07:35 BFTs etc.

My heart is in tip-top condition according to the doctors and ECG, but recently I just cannot keep up the pace & distance - someone upthread mentioned 'the bonk'.

Basically I started a keto/very low-carb diet. Mostly because I was building a bit of Covid flab. There just isn't enough energy without the carbs to keep the body going.

If you are going out for some medium to long distance runs you need to get the carbs onboard beforehand. And f*ck the BMI, it's about fitness and health, not a spurious and simplistic calculation about weight and height (when I left the Army I was uber-fit with minimal body fat, but according to the fire service metrics I was obese [13st, 5'11"]).

What you are doing sounds like a very good level of workouts for a 57 year old. Keep it going, but don't overdo it.

Basically I started a keto/very low-carb diet. Mostly because I was building a bit of Covid flab. There just isn't enough energy without the carbs to keep the body going.

If you are going out for some medium to long distance runs you need to get the carbs onboard beforehand.

The vast majority of us are great carb burners, but our metabolisms aren't so great at utilising fat-for-fuel.

So reducing carbs and eating a higher fat diet means you will find it difficult in the short term.

But as your body 'fat adapts' it becomes more efficient at using fat for fuel (including body fat).

Lots of ultra marathoners eat low carb (high fat) diets so that they can eat less sugar during long endurance events. They don't want to get the shits.

Do a google for 'low carb endurance'; there's lots out there and it's pretty mainstream.

Oyibo

LE
The vast majority of us are great carb burners, but our metabolisms aren't so great at utilising fat-for-fuel.

So reducing carbs and eating a higher fat diet means you will find it difficult in the short term.

But as your body 'fat adapts' it becomes more efficient at using fat for fuel (including body fat).

Lots of ultra marathoners eat low carb (high fat) diets so that they can eat less sugar during long endurance events. They don't want to get the shits.

Do a google for 'low carb endurance'; there's lots out there and it's pretty mainstream.

Yup - I get that. But it's hard core for people who are just on normal fitness and diet regimes. I did it to burn the fat - which it did. But for two weeks I was utterly pathetic at running, and I am not sure whether for non-competitive types it is the best way forward

Yup - I get that. But it's hard core for people who are just on normal fitness and diet regimes. I did it to burn the fat - which it did. But for two weeks I was utterly pathetic at running, and I am not sure whether for non-competitive types it is the best way forward

I found the same in the gym; I couldn't lift as much as I could, or do as many reps.

It does take a few months before you notice any improvement, and maybe a year to get fully fat adapted.

It's hard if you like carbs too (which we do).

Oyibo

LE
I found the same in the gym; I couldn't lift as much as I could, or do as many reps.

It does take a few months before you notice any improvement, and maybe a year to get fully fat adapted.

It's hard if you like carbs too (which we do).

Is it a bit ghey to start crying over photos like this? Because I do. I'm going to carbo-load for the next ten years before my final Ironman:

1599161260976.png

Last edited:
I served to age 55, when I turned 50 I had to have a medical for some reason (HGV maybe), I mentioned that my back and knees played me up a bit, especially when running, the Doc (military) asked why I was still running at 'my age'! I took that as official guidance and pretty much avoided it for the rest of my time and just used the gym; cross trainer, rowing machine and bike.

Invest in a flotation jacket and run in the local swimming pool. Keeps the muscle memory in tune, no impact on joint issues and just as demanding as the 'real' thing. Just a thought.............

It's not so much the fat or the carbs, it's down to protein intake. If you're going to exercise a lot you need a high protein diet.

Oyibo

LE
Without getting too technical, is that the same for aerobic and anaerobic exercise?

Carbs convert to sugar (energy) protein goes to your muscles (if taken at the tight time).

Carbs before long runs, protein immediately after hard exercise of any length. There'll be others who can be more scientific than me

Somehow going downhill fast in my late 50s feels far scarier than it did in my 20s!

it's the understanding of the consequences of what happens when it goes wrong...!