Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running in my 50s (and running out of steam!)

Since I stopped playing rugby 25 years ago, I’ve raced yachts. I’m current sailing on one of the fastest boats in Sydney; 52ft of carbon fibre madness. Wednesday afternoon harbour races, we have two over 80s on board in key roles. One of them still jumps on the winches. At 57 I’m one of the young blokes.

One of them did the Sydney to Hobart last year; four days of being smashed around. I plan to do the same.
Praise to you. But I am eighty years old, Eighty., yours 2383..

Your age , build , lifestyle and issues just about sum me up as well , on lock down I got into brisk/fast 10km walks 3+ times a week , I haven't felt any great physical benefit to be honest and after each walk I`m totally stuffed and go to bed for an hour or so ,I carry a bit more weight than you and dont run , I can only guess the phys we are doing is not right for our age group ?
Your diet sounds ideal from what I`ve read but maybe it needs changing ?
Maybe you are still 28 in your mind the same as me ?
I dont feel like giving up like too many 50+s do and become an embarrassing fat knacker , so where do we go for professional phys advice and avoid the miracle BS programs ?

I'm 63 and a little on the cuddly side (but not too badly and my GP is happy with it. My knees are Donald Ducked however and I can only run short distances, so I try and do a fast tab (CFT speed) when I'm out walking.

I also have angina and one result of the medication is that I burn the oxygen in my muscles faster than my chemically slowed down heart can pump fresh blood round. My stamina has gone down considerably since I gave up running.

However I have been practicing aikido for a number of years. I can pace myself more easily and train in short bursts, getting my breath back in between exercises. The big advantage however is the amount of stretching, twisting and turning involved - it exercises pretty much every part of the body (including my brain) and my muscle tone is excellent. It keeps me very flexible and looking pretty good.

As bonus I get to train with some nice people who are always happy to help and encourage the old man :)

You don't need muscle or huge amounts of stamina and can start at pretty much any age - I started at age 47 and my instructor is in his mid 70s now (and can still move like a greased weasel!)...

Obviously training is limited at the moment but I can still warm up and do and hour of solo practice in the garden.

aikido - angry men in pajamas!

aikido - angry men in pajamas!

That's me alright! :)

December 18 1a.jpg

...and relax!

I know this quite a recurring theme on these boards but here goes with some background.

I´m 57, 6´2" and I´ve dropped from 95kg to 88kg over the past couple of months, hoping to get down to 85kg by the end of Sept to be within BMI.

I was never a great runner in the army but I´ve always continued to maintain a minimum level of fitness. In the spring, I had some routine tests and STARLIGHT said my triglycerides are through the roof and my blood sugar is borderline. Blood pressure was fine. Recommended I lose a few kg, do some exercise and put me on Fenofibrates.

I eat pretty healthily but have to say I did hit the cheese during lockdown. I haven´t had an alcoholic drink in nearly a year and I don´t drink pop. So really all I could do was cut out the cheese and reduce quantity. I basically eat porridge every day (with just skimmed milk, water and salt), grilled fish or chicken and brown rice with salad for lunch and veggies for dinner. I drink gallons of water.

I´ve also hit the trails. I run about 6km three days a week, fast walk about 10km two days a week, play golf one day and have one rest day. I live in the hills outside Madrid and it´s very hilly so very knackering and hot at the moment.

So far so good. But the problem is, I´m just running out of steam. I can´t keep it up. I´m not sure if I´m doing myself more harm than good and that I should slow down a bit. I started getting blood rushes after standing up and now the feeling of light headedness is getting more regular. I´m going to get my blood pressure checked at the pharmacy today but my next blood test is not til the end of Sept.

So in lieu of seeking proper medical advice, I appeal to all you armchair experts and retired Mirror Technicians out there. How much exercise is too much in your late 50s? Should I slow down?

Some of my contemporaries (late 50s) remain extremely fit and compete at a high amateur level in road cycling and triathlon, so its entirely possible, its all down to building in a sensible mix of training including strength training, quality stretching eg yoga or pilates as well as endurance training. I only run once a week and mostly cross country, my main exercise is road cycling which gives me the buzz of endurance training the same as running but without the muscle, tendon and joint pain afterwards. Owning a dog helps, I generally do 2-3 miles a day with the dog as well. The painful lesson of getting older is that my weight is increasingly less related to exercise level and more related to intake alone, so I can no longer eat like a 20 year old recruit.

Some of my contemporaries (late 50s) remain extremely fit and compete at a high amateur level in road cycling and triathlon, so its entirely possible, its all down to building in a sensible mix of training including strength training, quality stretching eg yoga or pilates as well as endurance training. I only run once a week and mostly cross country, my main exercise is road cycling which gives me the buzz of endurance training the same as running but without the muscle, tendon and joint pain afterwards. Owning a dog helps, I generally do 2-3 miles a day with the dog as well. The painful lesson of getting older is that my weight is increasingly less related to exercise level and more related to intake alone, so I can no longer eat like a 20 year old recruit.
I'm as guilty as anyone of neglecting the bolded bit. And, man, am I paying for it now. Weekly one hour deep tissue massage and a daily online yoga-like torture course to try and get running again. My neglect has meant that my hamstring-calf-achilles-plantar fascia chain gives me constant trouble.

Don't neglect it fellow 50 somethings (or anyone else).

Praise to you. But I am eighty years old, Eighty., yours 2383..
You missed my point; two of the people who sail with us mid week are over 80. One did the Sydney to Hobart last year. They inspire me. As does Charlie Watts who isn’t quite yet 80 but played 25 concerts last year.

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
So far so good. But the problem is, I´m just running out of steam. I can´t keep it up. I´m not sure if I´m doing myself more harm than good and that I should slow down a bit. I started getting blood rushes after standing up and now the feeling of light headedness is getting more regular. I´m going to get my blood pressure checked at the pharmacy today but my next blood test is not til the end of Sept.

So in lieu of seeking proper medical advice, I appeal to all you armchair experts and retired Mirror Technicians out there. How much exercise is too much in your late 50s? Should I slow down?

I've not read the replies, but athletes suffer with orthostatic hypotension; you get dizzy when standing up (for me from a squatting position).

I nearly floored it once in Tescos when I squatted down to look at something on the bottom shelf and stood up.

It's fine and it's common.

I also know loads of excellent runners who're in their 50s and 60s who put those half their age to shame.

If you want a training suggestion, have a read (audio book is best) of Primal Endurance. Basically, run at a comfortable pace - monitor this via a heart rate monitor - and build volume. Do a few sprints once-a-week; really high intensity ones, like 5 x 100 meters, balls out, with good recovery in-between. Once you feel the drop off, that's it, job jobbed.

Some of my contemporaries (late 50s) remain extremely fit and compete at a high amateur level in road cycling and triathlon, so its entirely possible,

Wor Lass ran the Offa's Dyke last year in a race; it's a 185 mile non-stop ultra marathon. She finished (most didn't) sleep deprived, exhausted and hallucinating. She's 48.

I gave a three-times-Spine-finisher a lift to the train station because he couldn't finish the race; he said the terrain was brutal; so not an easy route either.

But I met a bloke in his 60s who completed the race; I met him at the 172 mile point at an aid station (though he may have gone further if he'd taken a wrong turn somewhere) and he looked really comfortable. Unlike Wor Lass who looked like a bag of smashed crabs at that point.

I'm about 3st overweight these days and pretty unfit after a couple of years of sedentary activity. Have massively tidied up my diet and eating habits before starting the NHS couch to 5k malarkey this evening. Absolutely knackered now but it feels nice to be back to doing something about it instead of complaining about it.

Was sweating like a rapist in a WI meeting. Certain the neighbour dashed indoors when they spoted me :boogie::boogie:
Couch to 5k.
Got to week 3 and tore my calf muscle.