Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running in my 50s (and running out of steam!)

I know this quite a recurring theme on these boards but here goes with some background.

I´m 57, 6´2" and I´ve dropped from 95kg to 88kg over the past couple of months, hoping to get down to 85kg by the end of Sept to be within BMI.

I was never a great runner in the army but I´ve always continued to maintain a minimum level of fitness. In the spring, I had some routine tests and STARLIGHT said my triglycerides are through the roof and my blood sugar is borderline. Blood pressure was fine. Recommended I lose a few kg, do some exercise and put me on Fenofibrates.

I eat pretty healthily but have to say I did hit the cheese during lockdown. I haven´t had an alcoholic drink in nearly a year and I don´t drink pop. So really all I could do was cut out the cheese and reduce quantity. I basically eat porridge every day (with just skimmed milk, water and salt), grilled fish or chicken and brown rice with salad for lunch and veggies for dinner. I drink gallons of water.

I´ve also hit the trails. I run about 6km three days a week, fast walk about 10km two days a week, play golf one day and have one rest day. I live in the hills outside Madrid and it´s very hilly so very knackering and hot at the moment.

So far so good. But the problem is, I´m just running out of steam. I can´t keep it up. I´m not sure if I´m doing myself more harm than good and that I should slow down a bit. I started getting blood rushes after standing up and now the feeling of light headedness is getting more regular. I´m going to get my blood pressure checked at the pharmacy today but my next blood test is not til the end of Sept.

So in lieu of seeking proper medical advice, I appeal to all you armchair experts and retired Mirror Technicians out there. How much exercise is too much in your late 50s? Should I slow down?

Fücking bipeds showing off. Fall over ya bastárd.

Class 66

War Hero
My knees have gone so I now do Les Mills Body Pump, light weights lots of Reps. I find it good to be in a class situation....just like doing PT in the military, and it is hard! Maybe do a few classes and see what you think?

Do you eat before you run; more widely are you eating enough? Whilst I'm not in my 40s (yet) your symptoms sound a bit like a "bonk" (glycogen low).

My knees have gone so I now do Les Mills Body Pump, light weights lots of Reps. I find it good to be in a class situation....just like doing PT in the military, and it is hard! Maybe do a few classes and see what you think?

I´ll give it a go, thanks. We were on proper lockdown with no exercise outside for six weeks in Spain and I did some HIIT type circuits in my garden, which was good. But I like pounding the trails and getting out. Maybe a combination of the two.

Do you eat before you run; more widely are you eating enough? Whilst I'm not in my 40s (yet) your symptoms sound a bit like a "bonk" (glycogen low).

I only have a cup of tea before running in the morning, so you could be right. But I haven´t run since Saturday because I just couldn´t face it and I still feel light headed.

It doesn't sound crazy, volume wise, but if you've recently started and went straight into 6 days a week exercise, then volume would be the is issue, especially in the heat. Heat kills me, regardless of my fitness levels.

How's your resting heart rate looking? If that starts to elevate, it's often a sign of over training.

I don't think you're eating enough, or not the right stuff - you need to fuel that sort of volume, you should be able to eat what you want and 'change shape' rather then just lose weight.

If it were me, on the hot days, calm it down a bit or make sure you're really within yourself - save the hard work for when the weather is better - during the summer I tend to walk more, run less.

I only have a cup of tea before running in the morning, so you could be right. But I haven´t run since Saturday because I just couldn´t face it and I still feel light headed.

Without wishing to fear you.

Stop running and get yourself a full medical.

There's an interesting mantra going around the trail running community at the moment:

Eat enough, mostly; eat too much, sometimes; eat too little, never.

There's also a huge push back against using running as a method of weight loss, in particular via calorific deficit. "Fasted runs" are not the vogue they were once. If I were you, I'd eat a couple of slices of toast or half your porridge before your run, and try again.

It doesn't sound crazy, volume wise, but if you've recently started and went straight into 6 days a week exercise, then volume would be the is issue, especially in the heat. Heat kills me, regardless of my fitness levels.

How's your resting heart rate looking? If that starts to elevate, it's often a sign of over training.

I don't think you're eating enough, or not the right stuff - you need to fuel that sort of volume, you should be able to eat what you want and 'change shape' rather then just lose weight.

If it were me, on the hot days, calm it down a bit or make sure you're really within yourself - save the hard work for when the weather is better - during the summer I tend to walk more, run less.

That looks like very sound advice, thank you. I particularly like the bit about eating more and walking rather than running. BREAK INTO QUICK TIME!!
Resting heart rate is 53. Not sue if that´s elevated but will keep an eye on it.

That looks like very sound advice, thank you. I particularly like the bit about eating more and walking rather than running. BREAK INTO QUICK TIME!!
Resting heart rate is 53. Not sue if that´s elevated but will keep an eye on it.
It's all about trends - I do my BP (home monitors not expensive nowadays) and weight every Monday morning as a matter of course now - much easier to spot things going south and deal with early.

To echo @AsterixTG it sounds like you aren’t eating enough to compensate for the extra calories you’re using when you train.

I’ve found using something like MyFitnessPal (to track calories consumed) coupled with a decent HRM (to calculate calories used during training) to be pretty useful when trying to work out how much more to eat when increasing training volume.

This will help you be in a position where you can then accurately decide to either lose weight or maintain, without getting massively fatigued.

There's also a huge push back against using running as a method of weight loss, in particular via calorific deficit.

That´s basically what I´ve been doing. I use Strava to record my exercise and it gives a calories spent reading based on height, weight, hills, distance, speed etc. I think is probably exagerated because it comes back with nearly 1000 calories for a 7.5km walk the other day and 700 for a 6km run. I reckon I´m consuming about 2000 Kcal per day, so if Strava is right, my net intake is around 1200.

Also, for your height, you're pretty good now weight wise - I'd be moving to judging results by how you feel, how clothes fit and how you look in the mirror.

I'd also perhaps suggest sacking a run, or doing a very gentle warm up type of thing and get some weight based stuff, even if it's just body weight callisthenics, once or twice a week. That'll make a nice difference to how your body composition is - very easy to start to look stringy, especially as we age. Do some decent core stuff and watch your golf distance improve too...

Also, for your height, you're pretty good now weight wise - I'd be moving to judging results by how you feel, how clothes fit and how you look in the mirror.

I'd also perhaps suggest sacking a run, or doing a very gentle warm up type of thing and get some weight based stuff, even if it's just body weight callisthenics, once or twice a week. That'll make a nice difference to how your body composition is - very easy to start to look stringy, especially as we age. Do some decent core stuff and watch your golf distance improve too...

Clothes are definitely fitting better. I also do a few press ups as part of my warm down and I´d like to do more body weight stuff as part of a HIIT routine rather than buy weights. I had a bench and weights at home a few years ago. Took up a lot of space and my wife persuaded me to get rid of them after we came back from a spell abroad.

Which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too low.

+like 10,000.

As a 39yo bloke at 88-89kg who is moderately active, myfitnesspal (backed up personal feeling) is that c2,800 is enough for me to remain steady and able to do anything I want.

Clothes are definitely fitting better. I also do a few press ups as part of my warm down and I´d like to do more body weight stuff as part of a HIIT routine rather than buy weights. I had a bench and weights at home a few years ago. Took up a lot of space and my wife persuaded me to get rid of them after we came back from a spell abroad.

I've found weighted body-weight exercises really good - a bergan plus a 20kg KB in it for pull-ups/press-up/squats/lunges etc etc more challenging than a bench based routine.