running in basic?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Were you fed sufficient calroies though?
Not sure about now, but back in the day, all training establishments were fed the finest food by the greatest chefs to ever walk the planet (ACC) and there was loads of it. Whether your training staff will give you the opportunity to eat it in the allotted time is another matter. Stack it high and throw it down your throat fast!

Calories? No idea. Didn't worry about that much back then but the constant activity kept us lean and hungry. As mentioned, shovel it down in a hurry and hope it stays down when the instructors try to run it out of you again. Mostly it did unless you overdid the pud or something.

Your training is designed to acclimatise you and get you in shape as well as regimented into the way things are done. Some of it will be to test you and being cold, hungry, hot, tired and sore will become normal.

You get used to it. Don't be picky about what's served. If you have hangups about cauliflower or sprouts or whatever, tough shit. Get it down your neck. It's just fuel.

Your training is designed to acclimatise you and get you in shape as well as regimented into the way things are done. Some of it will be to test you and being cold, hungry, hot, tired and sore will become normal.
You get used to it. Don't be picky about what's served. If you have hangups about cauliflower or sprouts or whatever, tough shit. Get it down your neck. It's just fuel.
as joker said: Stack it high and throw it down your throat fast!

One day the ability to do it quick, on the run, may save your life.

You'll get enough scran.
May not be all that appetising but it'll keep you going.
what plans have you made to get up to a decent level of fitness before you start?
Currently I bodybuild 6 days a week , Im a pretty big dude, but recently I have incooperated alot more pushups, pullups, and situps into my training. I also plan on running on days where I'm not weight training (currently got an injured ankle). At the very least I do 200 situps per day.

The_Duke

LE
Currently I bodybuild 6 days a week , Im a pretty big dude, but recently I have incooperated alot more pushups, pullups, and situps into my training. I also plan on running on days where I'm not weight training (currently got an injured ankle). At the very least I do 200 situps per day.
How fast can you move all of that muscle of yours? Give serious consideration to changing your fitness priorities. CV and endurance beats “beach body” every time.

What The Duke said. Bit of a thread somewhere that went off track discussing SF body profiles. The lighter, leaner blokes cope better under duress and can last far longer without their energy shakes in the field. The buffed up SF look is something out of Hollywood and requires a lot of maintenance better devoted to the job.

How fast can you move all of that muscle of yours? Give serious consideration to changing your fitness priorities. CV and endurance beats “beach body” every time.
I am really strong for my body weight, and I have an average 4k time (under 20 minutes). I also box every week ,so I am fairly agile

What The Duke said. Bit of a thread somewhere that went off track discussing SF body profiles. The lighter, leaner blokes cope better under duress and can last far longer without their energy shakes in the field. The buffed up SF look is something out of Hollywood and requires a lot of maintenance better devoted to the job.

Ahhh, right I see. I understand it would be more efficient but I like being big its become a part of me and Im kind of obssessed with it. That's why I was concerned with the ammount of food thats available because I dont want to loose any of my mass. I can eat alot quite quickly so hopefully that shouldnt be a problem. I also have good cardiovasular health, can outrun most people in sprints and distance ( 4 -5 k).

I'm 1m85 / 6'1" and big-framed (swimmer build - or was 35 years ago), my optimum weight in the Foreign Legion was about 85kg / 13st 5lb / 187lb. It dropped to 76kg / 11st13.5lb / 167.5lb on Ops in Chad in 1984.

In basic (and more after) there I was doing lots of phys - mainly endurance (lots of long-distance running and tabbing, fartlek, hillwork, with and without weight) and upper body strength, (press-ups, dips, pull-ups, rope climbing - arms & legs and arms only - using one rope and two ropes) concentrating on optimal endurance and a balanced power-to-weight ratio (although that wasn't scientifically explained - it's just what we did). An overly developed muscle-man physique was a drawback. Gym bunnies suffered in basic and tended to be derided by the DS as being vain and overly interested in their appearance as opposed to being physically effective.

In 2REP we dropped with what we needed and carried it all, up hill and down dale. So the weight carried could be enormous. When I became a radio-telegraphist, as part of a three-man team I carried either the SSB transceiver, the antenna set or the generator set - we all split up the spare batteries. This on top of all personal kit, weapon and ammo, rations and water. You did not any extra useless muscle bulk on your body to carry as well.

p.s. I wish my weight was somewhere close to above now ;-)

As said above by those that know, you will need more endurance than big muscle so sit down and think. Big mucle needs feeding and carrying plus what your nice sgt. gives you.

SBS, among the fittest in the world prefer more of a triathlete body than a Rambo.

I'm not the tallest lad on the planet, about 8" shorter than Condottiere in fact, but I worked on endurance and was able to carry more than most. Later in life I still run distance and go to the gym, but if I work at my bulk then I lose on the running. Now I work at having a muscle that works but that allows me to run, and at sixty I'm in failry good shape.

..... I'm not the tallest lad on the planet, about 8" shorter than Condottiere in fact, but I worked on endurance and was able to carry more than most..........
Spot on. In my experience, the short-wiry lads appeared to have the best power-to-weight ratio.

Were you fed sufficient calroies though?
When I joined our cooks (you hadn’t earned the right to call them sloppies at this stage) would tell you that our depot got through more meat than any other- they probably all said that. The steaks weren’t the best fillets but it was steak and you could have loads of it. Trouble was you had about three minutes to eat it - known as a “scoff injection” so usually you had steak, chips, veggies, custard and jam rolypoly all on one plate which you attacked in the manner of a ravenous animal.
I can’t imagine things have changed that much?