Running fitness

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by lewis_berriman, Jun 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, this is my first post so don't be to rough :p

Im already training my upper half and managing quite well, my upper body strenght is increasing so no help needed there.

The problem i have is in the last year i havn't realy done any running, lower body and i need to build it up as i am trying to get into the infantry, my legs are in shit shape at moment and even a 100m jog/run gets me out of breath and find motovation hard after about 100m.

Would anybody be able to give me some guidence on where to start to get my fitness/ lower body back into shape so i stand a chance at doing the 1.5m run?

Cheers guys/girls

2. Start off slow and short, slowly build up the distances and pace. Make sure you wear proper running shoes not some crappy chav loafers as it'll result in injuries.

Though I'm a bit worried that you can't run more than 100 meters.

If you can't motivate yourself to do more is the Army really for you?

3. well the shop is 100m away from the house so thought id give it a go, i will try somewhere further away tonight to see what im cabable of.

as for the motovation, the army has been something i have been interested in for over a year and now thought it was the time to try to persue it. I may have worded it wrong i now realised, my mp3 player broke earlier today so that might have kept my mind off of the running, motovation isn't something which normally i am bad at but running realy isn't my strong point so i find it hard to keep my running hat on. (don't know if that last bit makes sence, but it makes sence to me).

any ideas on ways to keep myself busy whilst jogging/running without my mp3 player?

4. Focus on a point in the distance, on reaching it focus on another point about another 100m away, then try to reduce the time it takes you to cover those distances - a digital watch helps. Might be an idea to get used to running without the need for an MP3 player because I highly doubt the army allows you to listen to Rock Anthems 2009 on PT runs...

5. hey, I had a similar problem but perhaps not quite so acute. I was heavily into weight lifting before joining the TA and had to change everything around to get fit in a different way.

Start off with a 2.5-3mile circuit and force yourself to do it as fast as you can. Keep a note of time and do this 2 days then 1 rest day then 2 days back on it. This distance should be covered in 20 - 24 minutes. Your legs will hurt so straight after run soak them down in the shower with COLD water and the pain will go away.

Keep at this you will toughen up pretty quick and see and feel the benefit. Fitness is also in the mind - you need mental aggression :evil: to give you the will to succeed. I stuck to the above and now my standard run is 5.5 miles 3-4 times a week in 40 minutes. 6 months training should comf. get you to this standard - easily.

Just Did a speed march competition up a cairngorm mountain pass - 16miles in 4hrs 48 minutes and we beat the regs!

6. cheers guys, i will try that.

7. I had the same problem, but remember the fitter you are the harder it is to get fitter, and therfore the unfitter you are the easyer it is to get fitter.

When i started training I couldn't jog 700m-ish (from school to house), I kept running home every day trying to go as far as possable, then once i couldn't go any further stop of 60 secs, then starting agen.

I carried on doing this untill I could run the whole way, then moved to 1 km and used the same method. Once I could do 1km I moved onto 1 mile, and used the same method. Then 1.5 mile, then 2 mile, then 3 mile.

Now I'm just training on my 1.5 mile 3 times a week and 3-5 mile run once a week.

[EDIT]

It took me about a month from start to being able to run 1.5 miles then another month to get to 3 mile

8. I talk to my self, mostly about why I want to keep running and push it just that little bit harder i.e. better run time, be the best, get fitter, passing the run test, whaterver shoyt the army recruter/poster/advert said.

And another good tip is to NEVER, EVER stop running when someone else can see you, even if your behind them and they can't see you, wait untill you get around the next corner, and if someone else is there keep going till the next corner. You don't want them to see you fail do you? Don't give them the satisfaction, just keep running.

9. Baws!

That's far to much for someone who struggles to run 100 metres!

Get PROPERLY measured for good trainers! FIRST!

Make a mile your first goal.

Run on alternate days and REST in between.

Run until you can't possibly run anymore then walk fast until your heart rate lowers a bit then run again then walk fast etc. NEVER stop!

Once you can run the mile without needing the walking then go for 1.5 miles.

build up to 3 miles in this manner.

Once you can RUN 3 miles then and only then UP your speed.

When I started (26) I nearly had a heart attack after 100 yards and now, using this method, I have run 14/18 miles quite comfortably.

I am older now (41) but my runs are around 4/5 miles on alternate days.

3 or more miles should be your bare minimum because the 1.5 then will be mucho easier.

The worst thing you can do is train to only that distance.

One thing that helped me NO end was realising that a human being will use 30% of what they are capable of and they will feel like they are dying, a race horse uses 70%.

When you feel like you are going to die - and you will if you are training properly - KEEP GOING because it is this that gets you fitter!

If you got little short legs like me then you will have to train double hard!

PS Watch your diet as well, I find that what I put in my stomach has MASSIVE bearing on my running.

There are plenty of Running sites, google them and you'll see loads of tips!

Good Luck!

10. In the gym try working on your legs with lots of reps rather than heavy weights.
    Also you may be working the upper body too much, heavy upper muscle doesn't help running.
    Abs are a big help, do lots.

11. I hated running, still don't love it. But i used to work on my lower body alot more than upper body as i'm already pretty decent there. I started Circuit Training classes before christmas and absolutely love it. Always push myself and it pays off! I have recently joined a running club, and it's way easier running with other people so you can strive to be at the front and keep going!

I just like to be a bit competetive so i find it easier doing it with other people than by myself.

12. Thinking about a future "you" who finds running easy and enjoys it, and then thinking "I'll invest 6 months to become that person", is a useful trick. As a kid I ran pretty slowly and found it tedious, so I took a tennis ball (running on country lanes) and played daft games - bounce the ball off the road in front and catch it in the other hand, whack it into the ground the same side as the throwing arm and try to create four dambusters bounces so that I can easily catch it on the final bounce, and so on. Killed the tedium quite markedly.

13. Never seen this idea before and I like it! The other advantage to this is it will get you moving in different directions/ regular changes of pace in order to catch the ball when it goes off in an unexpected direction etc. Just be bloody careful when you are tired and near a road! :roll:

14. Whenever I read these posts I imagine some mong sprinting down the road holding his breath then collapsing in a heap blue in the face and gasping for breath.

If you're new to running take it slow, jog at a pace you can just hold a conversation at.

Build up slowly your speed will increase as your cardio fitness does, aim to run for 40 mins each time.

After a few weeks your speed and therefore distance covered will increase. Now introduce a few short sprints (100m) slowing down to recover after each one, don't stop.

Introduce a few hills, when you get used to them do a few reps.

15. I've got a bit of open space where I live, so I like to take a rugby ball/american football and set myself up kick-and-chases and things like that. I probably look like a total wazzock to any bystanders but it makes a change from 6/7 miles steady state running.