Running & "Feeding up"

H

Hedphelym

I run between 3-5 times a week, the runs range from 3.5 miles to 7.5 miles and I tend to run mid/late afternoon or early evening.

What I have begun to notice is that some days I can have a really good 7.5 mile run - I really enjoy the run, have a good pace, and my lungs don't feel like paper bags.
However, on somedays it can be a struggle to do a 4 miler, I breathe a lot heavier and start taking deeper breaths earlier into my runs than usual, and it is a real effort to make the distance. Yet a day later or before, I could do a really good 7.5 miler.

Firstly, I suspected some pace differences. After a week of conciously keeping my pace in tempo - I found my running experiences to be much the same. Some great, some shite.

Now I'm wondering whether it's about my energy levels and the food I eat. Given that I run during the times I do, I've eaten throughout the day (had breakfast, elevenses, lunch and usually a mid afternoon pick me up)
I've always tried to have a good and varied diet, I don't smoke, I don't even drink. But I don't have a set out eating plan.

My question is this: Should I be running when I have had very little to eat, or when I have fed substantially?
The problem, I suppose, is that I'm finding it tough to gauge my fitness and any improvements I'm making when my running experiences are so erratic.
Should I be gauging my fitness levels on how far I can run with or without "feeding up"?

Any help or advice would be most helpful.
Cheers for your time.
Hed.

Well I can't give you much professional advice, but just to get my little bit into the post, I have them days all the time mate, somedays I breeze through a 4-5 miler, and others i'm sweating like an amsterdam whore, coughing as much lung butter as can be brought up and not keeping a steady pace as usual.

It can be down to what you've had to eat, how much you've hydrated through the whole day, it can also be a mental factor too, i've found I perform worse if I'm on a day where the weather is shite, im stressed to the high heavens etc. even if i've had a good feed and plenty of water.

Dave.