Running & "Feeding up"

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hedphelym, Apr 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I run between 3-5 times a week, the runs range from 3.5 miles to 7.5 miles and I tend to run mid/late afternoon or early evening.

What I have begun to notice is that some days I can have a really good 7.5 mile run - I really enjoy the run, have a good pace, and my lungs don't feel like paper bags.
    However, on somedays it can be a struggle to do a 4 miler, I breathe a lot heavier and start taking deeper breaths earlier into my runs than usual, and it is a real effort to make the distance. Yet a day later or before, I could do a really good 7.5 miler.

Firstly, I suspected some pace differences. After a week of conciously keeping my pace in tempo - I found my running experiences to be much the same. Some great, some shite.

Now I'm wondering whether it's about my energy levels and the food I eat. Given that I run during the times I do, I've eaten throughout the day (had breakfast, elevenses, lunch and usually a mid afternoon pick me up)
    I've always tried to have a good and varied diet, I don't smoke, I don't even drink. But I don't have a set out eating plan.

My question is this: Should I be running when I have had very little to eat, or when I have fed substantially?
    The problem, I suppose, is that I'm finding it tough to gauge my fitness and any improvements I'm making when my running experiences are so erratic.
    Should I be gauging my fitness levels on how far I can run with or without "feeding up"?

Any help or advice would be most helpful.
    Cheers for your time.
    Hed.

2. Well I can't give you much professional advice, but just to get my little bit into the post, I have them days all the time mate, somedays I breeze through a 4-5 miler, and others i'm sweating like an amsterdam whore, coughing as much lung butter as can be brought up and not keeping a steady pace as usual.

It can be down to what you've had to eat, how much you've hydrated through the whole day, it can also be a mental factor too, i've found I perform worse if I'm on a day where the weather is shite, im stressed to the high heavens etc. even if i've had a good feed and plenty of water.

Dave.