Running Developement

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by RoyalEngineers, Sep 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I joined the Cross Country Club every Monday @ my college, so hopefully this should build up my fitness now, hoping we run fairly far, and the fact that it's cross country.

Taking this in mind, I know you might not be a doctor, and you might not have an opinion on this etc. etc. but in your personal opinion, if I can manage all of this, would you guess that I can pass the Spirometry testing at the ASDC, or will this running atleast help increase my chances of passing, even though it should be fairly simple to pass anyway?

Also, i'm hoping that me running regularly and becoming some what good at it will greatly help me in the long run during basic. I used to lack the willpower during running, when my breathing became heavier I took it as a sign to stop. Nowadays, my breathing gets heavier at a much greater speed, and I keep going..

..so i'm hoping my mental fitness is getting better too.

Any opinions appreciated on any issues raised within, be they helpful or not :oops:

/end:lifestory

2. Sounds like you are on the right track and your fitness is improving. Running is a good way to keep up your fitness but try to keep it to 2-3 times a week. The rest of the time do some non impact CV work and strength training and don't forget a couple of rest days!

3. "would you guess that I can pass the Spirometry testing at the ASDC"

Why do you think you would fail it ?

4. Is this the lung capacity thing you do on PULHEEMS?

5. I don't think that i'll fail it, to be honest. I'm just dreading it as it's the decisive factor. Not dreading it in the sense that I constantly think about it, it's just in the back of my mind when I actually think about the Army.. just wanting to hear peoples experience of it. The lung capacity thing is the Peak Flow I believe, unless PULHEEMS is what your doctor has ticked off?

Other than that.. should be A Okay

6. Don't worry about it all. It mentally works against you. If your times are ok, then on the day they will be much better.

7. Just don't run like a GIRL!!!

8. I run like a man, A REAL MAN! :wink:

9. What's all this concern about a spirometry test????

Is only relevant if there is a history of asthma.

Peeby

10. There is a history of asthma.. IE. APPARENLTY had it.. but was cleared, and never had attacks/ symptoms etc.. but records be records.

And x Country club today was a 2 mile run followed by Fartlek :eek:

I'm gonna be god by the end of it.. lol

11. Really? I find it helps! :roll: