Running Clubs and training routines

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Draft Dodger, May 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i'm running twice a wk, usually one short (10-11km) and one long (18-20km) each wk after a long term injury meant i couldnt run regularly for about 3 years once you add up all the injury, surgery and recovery time.

i'm not particularly quick but i would like to start trying to improve my speed with this years goal being to work towards comfortably completing a half marathon in sept and then building to a marathon next year. what i'm asking is would it be worth me joining a running club or am i better working through a training program on my own? having never been in one or know anyone that is i dont know if its training as much as just a big squad of you who go for a run. at the moment i wouldnt want to run more than 3 times a wk.
  2. I'd say that a lot of it depends on how much exercising as a group would help you individually.

Whilst in theory you stand to get better results by following a programme that's bespoke for you, most people will find that having people around helps keep you motivated and stops you from getting bored.
  3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Depends on the club; some do organised and structured training for different abilities, others are simply social gatherings of like-minded types.

What is good is that being in a group is motivating in itself and you'll have easier access to routes that you may not know and access to races. The clubs I've been in tended to meet just once a week.
  4. i'm pretty good at motivating myself but i do think you push yourself harder if theres fit women around :)

unsure as to where i fit in basically after looking at a couple of clubs it seemed to be racing snakes who would leave me dead (and i dont think i'd have time to train enough to catch them up!) or a sort or social plod around a few k's.

on reflection i may be a classic arrse case of "go and google it you lazy bastard"
    • Like Like x 1
  5. You'll have to square your mindset here. Frankly anyone can run either a half or full marathon with the minimum of training, if any at all frankly.

Racing either distances is another storey. Understanding pace, say, 6 minute mile efforts is best done with a group I believe rather than glancing at a wrist watch having completed a measured distance. Structure your training days, 'fastdays/ slowdays' with a group distance run of 20 miles on a week-end.
    I'd invest in a heart rate monitor to boot. Useful tools those. Keep a training diary of your efforts.
  6. this is basically what i'd like to work toward on as at the minute my pace times when doing a 10k are all over the place (iPhone app, not sure how accurate they are but it certainly shows the pattern, i.e. there isnt one). i've always enjoyed running but i've only had confidence that my leg can cope with regular running for the last 3 months or so and its something i would like to work at.
  7. I should have added, I invested in a flotation jacket. Running in the swimming pool can get you odd glances. However, it gives the heels/knees/hips a break from pounding the roads while maintaining the 'muscle memory'. Your non road days could therefore be spent 'relaxing' in the pool :)
  8. cheers, thats a good top tip, i'd seen guys doing that in the pool at my gym and thought it was just a very extensive warmdown. every days a school day!
  9. Did you ever actually join a club DD? And if so is it helping?

have similar aims to yourself in that I'm training for a september half and a spring marathon and pondering going along to a club but will have limited ability to attend every week without fail and so am not sure if it's worth it or if I should just stick to my own personal plan.
  10. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

A subscription is about £20 or £30 a year. No need to turn up unless you want to, but you'll meet people who can advise you and you're likely to be pulled into races you may otherwise have missed. This can only be a good thing for your ambitions.
    • Like Like x 1