Run times for 10k

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Benji-son, Jan 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, Just wondering what sort of times i should be looking at for completing a 10k run. I'm currently in the process of joining up, into Infantry, i've done my BARB test etc.
    I know they dont test you on a 10k run, but im sure i will be doing long-ish distance runs in basic and just wondering how far out i am.
    I'm a bit of a fat bastard (6ft and about 15st) There is a nice 10k course near to where i live (Longmoor Ranges in Bordon, Hants) some of you might know it, its an army firing range and assault course, and the loop has 1 big-ish hill in it, anyway i can complete it in about 51 mins, and i'm quite happy to stop after that if you know what i mean. :oops:
    How far off am i? What sort of times should i be looking to complete it in?

p.s. Roll on the fatty jokes :wink:

2. Have you checked out the Army Careers web sit. They have a chat funtion where you can talk to them in real time. I'm not sure they're in on a Saturday, so try them on Monday if they're not. They'll be able to give you times required. There's also a bit of info about what the tests actually involve. eg BPFA - as many push up in two minutes, sit ups in two minutes then running first as a squad for half a mile then as fast as you can for a mile and a half. I don't know the infantry times so i won't give you the basic requirements.

Keep doing what you are doing and have a look at the other threads from people in the same position as you. Also there's some info about fitness in the TA to Regs threads.

So good luck, and remember if i can do it, anyone can!! ;o)

3. That's not bad fella, lots of people would be walking after the first 3km!! I do it in about 43 mins (pre-xmas), you'll be amazed how fast that time will come down, in line with how much your belly shinks, just keep at it!! It's a nice circuit too, know it quite well.

4. To be honest, there won't be many (or indeed any) 10k races in basic training. You'd probably be better finding an eight mile loop (once round the range road with a 2 mile loop on the training area) and make sure you can tab it in boots carrying up to 55lb in two hours or less (thats the standard for the Basic Combat Fitness Test (BCFT)).

You also need to make sure you can run 1.5 miles in trainers in 10:30 or less, and knock out at least 44 press ups and 55 sit-ups (each in 2 mins). That'll sort out your Basic Personal Fitness Assessment (BPFA).

If you arrive on Day 1 already able to pass the basic tests, it'll make what follows seem so much easier. Hope this of some use.

5. Ah thanks for the feedback, looks like im not a million miles off.
    I'll just keep at it then!

6. anything below 44 mins is pretty good.

7. Frankly, that time is actually really quite good for your... "weight range".

As cdogunner points out, around 7 mins/mile is considered decent pace.

Not sure what the harm would be in knocking out some 5 milers to keep up the distance running; it'd help somewhat with your 1.5 as well. Running the same course over and over solo might send you into clinical depression however; you don't sound thick enough to make a good endurance runner. Sh1t I should have been a poet, or a farmer, I hate fuc*ing distance running.

Anyway, I'm sure you play lots of rugby and it's all muscle and all those usual lies, but cutting down on the jaffa cakes wouldn't hurt your time either. Your BMI is above 28 and they get a bit funny at the RSC over 28 I think. You only need to lose 5 pounds to avoid that crap at least.

8. Let me just correct myself, im actually at the high end of 15st, and i wish that loosing 5 pounds was the case.. I was informed at my last interview that even though i am just under the required BMI, the feckers at RSC want me to loose 12kg! haha! I suppose i dont blame them because on paper i must sound like a right porker :?
    Its all a bit PC for my liking, 10k in just under 50 mins now and 1.5 miles in 10.30, i cant be that fat?

Oh well looks like i shall stick to eating low fat lettice 3 times a day, 7 days a week :)

9. Benji-son,

Don't worry too much about BMI, that Army is sacking it as it is proven to
    be unrealistic. That's a pretty decent time for your weight fella. Take the advice about the CFT,
    although I wouldn't have thought carrying 55lbs is going to kill you.

10. True! I am sure the odd training run with 55 lbs won't do any damage unless you have any underlying injuries.
    Never done me any harm, you just need to listen to yeor body.

11. 307

307 War Hero

BE CAREFUL IF YOU GO OUT WITH WEIGHT. Carrying your own body weight is likely to be putting your knees in particular under enough stress when you do your 10k, and it is all to easy to get a knee injury believe me, and knee injuries seem to linger around like a bad smell which is bad news. The last thing you need to do is go out and hammer anouther 55lb on top of that and do yourself in. If you have never really carried weight on your back for any length of time before, for goodness sake don't go out and crack 8 miles straight away, you will be in rag order for days after and you don't need to be this drastic in shocking your body. Go out and maybe do a 2 mile fast walk with 30lb in a GOOD daysack that provides good support to you, use the hip pad to take the strain off your shoulders and back. Don't use deadweight to make the weight up either (by this i mean things such as rocks, because if you slipped and fell back onto that it's likely you'll break your back or something. A good way of getting good balanced weight in is to buy a big sack of builders sand and weigh out accordingly. If you've got a pair of walking boots to wear these would be spot on to give some support to the ankle when carrying weight. They aren't gonna greet you at the gates with a full bergen and send you off to do a CFT, you'll be built up to this and even though like people say knowing you cna do it already will be a bruden off your mind and body through training but better to be able to make your date in good physical condition to be built up rather than mashing your knees in and having to postpone for 3 months. Just be sensible listen to your body and act accordingly, if you feel something going rest, it's gonna heal quicker and allow you to carry on training sooner than it will if you carry on, I made this mistake just before crhistmas and payed the price, with putting on 4 plus minutes on my run. Being able to go out and do 10k without stopping (i'm assuming that you don't stop) is an achievement in itself mate, you're in better state than a lot of people in the country already. Keep at it and you will be in a good position to cope when the longer runs start coming in, it sounds as though your endurance aswell as your CV is in pretty good nick. A big lad like yourself should probably be able to tab for days anyway, you sound like you have the strenghth of mind to carry on through the burning in your quads and chest you no doubt feel on going up bloody hills (bane of my running life). Also, just a quick point to note on your diet. Make sure you are getting enough lean protein down your neck to rebuild your muscle fibre, shy away more from red meats and try and eat more fish and chicken for protein, get the vegetables down you and enough carbs to keep you going. If you're gonna be cutting back on your eats then may I suggest increasing the amount of fibre you eat, it really does keep you fuller for longer, so you avoid the feeling of being hungry which is a crap feeling. And most of all good luck and I hope I've been of help, when you are hanging out and ready to die just remember why you're doing it and then beam ear to ear when you finish and knock the socks off the last time you achieved. GOOD LUCK.

12. 50 minutes for a 10k is pretty good, but remember its not just about running, its all round general fitness. Once youve run the 10k there you have to do the job, and then turn around and run the 10k back again.