Run time

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Panoptes, May 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all

I did a pft 2 weeks ago (self regulated to see my fitness levels during a training period). Trained consistently for 2 weeks with at various intensities and exercises.

Today I do another pft for the hell of it and my run time has increased by 1 minute. Anyone have any idea what is going on with this? I thought exercise was meant to increase fitness, endurance and strength?

Cheers,

PAN

2. over training perhaps?

3. It was hot today. Maybe that worked against you.

4. Over training as mentioned above.

You don't get fitter while doing the training, its the in the day(s) afterwards that makes the difference. Any physical exercise causes tiny microscopic tears within the muscles, after you have finished these tears will heal, and the body will repair your muscles to make them bigger and stronger to help withstand future damage. This is why you get better the more you do.

However, you need to allow time for the body to repair itself, if you are constantly training then you will just keep tearing the muscles and no improvement will be made. As in your case it reduced your capabilities. Try and allow a day rest between runs, if they are long 10/12 milers leave 2 days rest and maybe do a upper body work out instead.

Hope this helps :D

5. As above, have a rest.

I did a pft the end of Feb a few years ago and didn't really kill myself getting ready for it and I was about 8 min 45.
    Had another coming up for something 3 weeks later and smashed myself with fast runs and 400m repeats. Took 3 days off to recover and my run time was 9 min 47.

Swings and roundabouts.

6. Do you reckon you tend to run faster when doing it with a group of people aswell, due to a competitve feeling or a feeling of not wanting to be last or whatever?

-PAN

7. Do you reckon you tend to run faster when doing it with a group of people aswell, due to a competitve feeling or a feeling of not wanting to be last or whatever?

Yeah deffo competition/fear of coming last in my opinion drives you on.But as previously pointed out youve probably over cooked yourself,have a few days rest then give it a go,put rest breaks into your training regime allow your muscles time to fix themselves.