Run away under fire?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by swordman, Aug 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. have any of you experienced a mate that ran when under a barrage? I only saw it once....

2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

What are you supposed to do? Stand up and Shout "HA, YOU MISSED!"

3. When you say "ran away" do you mean he did not run towards it? If that is the case then a white feather should be attached to his cowardly arse. Plonk post.

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Not a plonk post. Swordsman has seen more action than nearly everyone on this site & I doubt if anyone on the site has been under the intense barrages they were subjected to in WW2.

• Like Like x 30
  5. The last months at Basra palace got a bit tedious:)

I tended to just lie down and swear a bit as did everyone I shared gravel with.

The rifles apparently did, en mass crawl away from a bunch of IDF, but they were caught in the open zag zigging back to their grots on the army side after their amalgamation piss up in the consulate scran house. Allegedly

• Like Like x 1
  6. Whilst he is no doubt a fine chap, I simply don't understand the point of his post OB. I would rather hear the account of the action which must be on his mind than read this open-ended question.

• Like Like x 2
  7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

8. I can understand a RAF Regt trooper running away if he found out the NAAFI opened!

9. I clearly remember my first contact. I cocked my already cocked weapon and fell flat on my face while running for cover.

• Like Like x 7
  10. I've seen some horrible youtube of americans praying to jebus and sobbing while getting walloped

Never see anyone do anything other than swear, flinch, and giggle at each other, that and try and film it

• Like Like x 1
  11. I never happened to see much at all whenever IDF landed close, as I made it my business to get myself well into hard cover.

However, I did once witness a pit full of battle hardened Mortarmen execute a hasty retreat when faced with a particularly ferocious looking camel spider .....the cowardly bastards.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Once saw one of those Camel Spiders while on holiday in Israel. Ugly buggers. Not a scratch on those man eating honey badgers the MOD deployed in Iraq however.

13. An honest reply to a serious question! I am an ex-sapper of 23 years service and was either fortunate or unfortunate (which ever way you see it) to have never served in either of the two sandpits. I did however do time in NI in 89/90 in the infantry role and I often asked myself would I run if I got fired upon? Maybe yes, but I would not have liked to have let my mates down! So with the benefit of hindsight I would hope I would not have!

14. Still waiting for mine, but I have this sinking feeling that I would have done likewise. Was always a touch worried that brain would simply freeze up.

I mean, more than usual.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Next to Rumaylah Bridge in the GOSPS with 7 (Para) RHA, was sleeping out in open, when a massive Artillery Barrage opened up on our position, I ran for cover diving into a triangle shaped concrete wall, cowering, ready to cry for mummy, as did everyone else. Thirty seconds later the realisation that it was a twat in the sky pixy world that provided us with the first clap's and lightning of a storm above our heads. Still being in the GOSPS in a lightning storm was also hairy. After that contact didnt seem so bad :)