Run away under fire?

When you say "ran away" do you mean he did not run towards it? If that is the case then a white feather should be attached to his cowardly arse. Plonk post.

oldbaldy

LE
Not a plonk post. Swordsman has seen more action than nearly everyone on this site & I doubt if anyone on the site has been under the intense barrages they were subjected to in WW2.

Not a plonk post. Swordsman has seen more action than nearly everyone on this site & I doubt if anyone on the site has been under the intense barrages they were subjected to in WW2.
The last months at Basra palace got a bit tedious:)

I tended to just lie down and swear a bit as did everyone I shared gravel with.

The rifles apparently did, en mass crawl away from a bunch of IDF, but they were caught in the open zag zigging back to their grots on the army side after their amalgamation piss up in the consulate scran house. Allegedly

Whilst he is no doubt a fine chap, I simply don't understand the point of his post OB. I would rather hear the account of the action which must be on his mind than read this open-ended question.

I've seen some horrible youtube of americans praying to jebus and sobbing while getting walloped

Never see anyone do anything other than swear, flinch, and giggle at each other, that and try and film it

I never happened to see much at all whenever IDF landed close, as I made it my business to get myself well into hard cover.

However, I did once witness a pit full of battle hardened Mortarmen execute a hasty retreat when faced with a particularly ferocious looking camel spider .....the cowardly bastards.

I never happened to see much at all whenever IDF landed close, as I made it my business to get myself well into hard cover.

However, I did once witness a pit full of battle hardened Mortarmen execute a hasty retreat when faced with a particularly ferocious looking camel spider .....the cowardly bastards.
Once saw one of those Camel Spiders while on holiday in Israel. Ugly buggers. Not a scratch on those man eating honey badgers the MOD deployed in Iraq however.

An honest reply to a serious question! I am an ex-sapper of 23 years service and was either fortunate or unfortunate (which ever way you see it) to have never served in either of the two sandpits. I did however do time in NI in 89/90 in the infantry role and I often asked myself would I run if I got fired upon? Maybe yes, but I would not have liked to have let my mates down! So with the benefit of hindsight I would hope I would not have!

I clearly remember my first contact. I cocked my already cocked weapon and fell flat on my face while running for cover.
Still waiting for mine, but I have this sinking feeling that I would have done likewise. Was always a touch worried that brain would simply freeze up.

I mean, more than usual.

Next to Rumaylah Bridge in the GOSPS with 7 (Para) RHA, was sleeping out in open, when a massive Artillery Barrage opened up on our position, I ran for cover diving into a triangle shaped concrete wall, cowering, ready to cry for mummy, as did everyone else. Thirty seconds later the realisation that it was a twat in the sky pixy world that provided us with the first clap's and lightning of a storm above our heads. Still being in the GOSPS in a lightning storm was also hairy. After that contact didnt seem so bad :)

Yonks ago I was under a roof beam in Killymeal, DGN, as the round that exploded merged with the sound of the baseplates going off. There was total silence for a while then a wail of despair as the only casualty - a brand new car half buried under a blast wall - was found by the owner. And I thought: How the **** can this be serious if all I can do is giggle?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

This may just throw some light on what it is like ?
Near were we had harboured there was a hill that looked down on the Enemy position, far away at Vire there was a "railway gun" a huge thing, it was too big to put on the road and when fired it hurled huge shells at this hill, it was possible to hear it coming for some time before the mighty explosion occurred.

Huge amounts of earth were blown sky high every time the shell landed. About this time our CRE came to see this unkempt and scruffy bunch. Tiger Urquhart. DSO. R.E. A fine imposing gentleman was our Tiger, his reputation of conducting a private war with the Enemy was well known, sometimes to be seen crawling back to our forward troops, who were amazed to find Tiger had been out in front of them. "How do you men feel about staying at the front line all the time so that you can get into action quicker" We told him "Fine, if you can sustain the casualties" Yes! Tiger had his way.
We moved right up in front of the Enemy and dug in on the side of the hill that was being bombarded. In full view of the German paratroopers below who gleefully watched as we made ourselves sitting targets, give them their due, they did at least wait until we were all there before proceeding to blast us with everything they had. We spent the next few hours cowering in our foxholes that were dug in record time, while all around us, all hell was let loose. A continuous rain of fire right over the top of us. While crouching in my foxhole, head between my knees, another Sapper jumped in on top of me, shaking like a leaf, "Lets run, lets run" he yelled. Now I do not know where he thought we were supposed to run to, how he managed to get into my hole without being killed I do not know, but he kept trying to get me to join him! No way!

A little while later he fled. Now, that was the only time I saw a soldier break and run under fire. I do not know where he thought he was going, but I understood his reasons only too well. This was also the time that I discovered that there is a very infectious disease called "Panic" I did not succumb to this infection, but I did feel the fear he was transmitting, it was a powerful infection that one so easily could catch. After being missing from the Company for some hours, he rejoined the company, nothing was said. After that severe bashing, we were withdrawn to our old harbour area, we could then sally forth into what ever was required, from a secure base. .

S

swampmonster

I was going for an Iraq IDF story but after reading the above post......nope its was ok :(

No wonder he legged it........

A natural human reaction, self preservation, fight or flight, but unfortunately, in this scenario, you cannot fight as such.

Hence why alot of WW1 veterans (under constant bombardment) were shell shocked (PTSD) or labled cowards.

Thankfully we understand it a bit better nowadays.

Next to Rumaylah Bridge in the GOSPS with 7 (Para) RHA, was sleeping out in open, when a massive Artillery Barrage opened up on our position, I ran for cover diving into a triangle shaped concrete wall, cowering, ready to cry for mummy, as did everyone else. Thirty seconds later the realisation that it was a twat in the sky pixy world that provided us with the first clap's and lightning of a storm above our heads. Still being in the GOSPS in a lightning storm was also hairy. After that contact didnt seem so bad :)
7 PARA RHA have shelled me twice.

Good blokes.