Run 140 miles in one day..?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Clausewitz, Jun 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Folks,

I am going to be running the Sri Chinmoy Self Transcendence 24hr ultra marathon in Oct 2009 in aid of the Down's Syndrome Association.

My aims are to:

1. Raise £10,000 for the Down's Syndrome Association
    2. Run over 140 miles in 24hrs. Yes. 140 miles in one day.

My nephew, George, has Down's and I wanted to do something special to help families with Down's lead full and rewarding lives.

I would be really, really grateful if you might consider sponsoring me/donating. Even small amounts will add up.

It is very, very easy:

100 miles in one day

If you feel that it is appropriate, I would be in your eternal debt if you would forward the link to your friends, family and acquaintances - I need as wide an audience as possible!

Thank you so much for your time![hr]
  2. a person cannot run 100 mile in a day, you will die...surely. You will at least be running on nubs at the end. I would give you millions if you can actually do that (not a binding statement).

no, no, no, no, no ,no ,no ,no ,no, NO! It cannot be done, no.
    I wish you best of luck but come, on really? no way. in one day
  3. Yes I can.... I think.

It will certainly be "a bit" of a challenge.

Last year's winner ran an incredible 147 miles - but he is an elite international ultra runner.

I have a while to train... I guess that 100 miles in a day is just the same as running 4 x marathons, one after the other....

If it weren't difficult, I wouldn't attempt it.

As someone once said to me, "You will never know how far you can run unless you try to run until your body breaks." Fair enough.

4. JUST 4 marathons...well when you say it like that...
  5. I've known of people cover 150 miles in 36 hours (I assume they get a ok speed up and sleep a few times for a hour or so throughout).

Good luck is all I can say.

When in 2009 is it?
  6. I know two guys who ran the West Highland Way in a oner - the older one said that the worst bit was after about 80 miles on the side of Loch Lomand in the dark (they came South) suddenly finding himself lying on his side totally unable to get up.

Walking a hundred would be 'kin murder, and trying to run will only make it worse :D
  7. It's in Oct 09. Around the 400m athletics track in Tooting Bec, London.

I think the worst bit is going to be the psychological challenge of running around a bloody 400m track for 24hrs.

Anyone going to sponsor me - very worthwhile cause?
  8. One of our lads just ran 54 miles in under 14 hours on the Caledonian Challenge 08, the winner did it in 9 hrs 44 mins, so I should think it is achievable.

Round a 400m running must be off your head mate.
  9. Thats over 400'll get dizzy. Why don't you find two towns that are 100 miles or so apart? (slightly) easier mentally I'd imagine...
  10. I can imagine it is going to be really boring around an athletics track.
  11. I have spoken to more than one who has done it, and over here there is a circuit of 100km in 24hrs, and some people do run it.
    The trick I am told is to always hold something back, if you normally run at 14kph for a half or full marathon
    then run at 10kph. It is boring at first but you can keep up the pace for hours and finish in about 10 hours.
    Look how wolves/dogs trot, they can keep it up all day.

I have looked at doing one of these circuits and we decided that the key is the feet, if they are in good nick the rest is simply pain and determination. How much of a masochist are you?

My neighbour is in his sixties and he has done this Sahara Ultra course every year for the last few, and he has won it on more than one occasion. If he can you can you young stripling you.

Good luck with your endeavour.
  12. You are all correct - it will be a challenge.

(ref dizziness - we change direction every 6 hrs to avoid that!)

Anyone feeling generous and want to secure their place in heaven?

You can donate via the following link:

Crazy Mutha

13. Yep, this is a race carried out each year around 21-22 June, I've walked and jogged it twice, using a combination of both managed it in 4 days the first time and a leisurely 7 days the second time 10 years later but I would like to give the Race a try, you have 36 hours to run 150km (95 Miles-ish) the record is something daft like 17 hours!!! 8O so yes, 100 miles is feasible in one day for your average Ultrathon racer...

Good Luck mate, a worthy cause if I may say so, a good Corps friend of mine has a son with Downs and if knew about the race I think he'd also attempt it as I know he would do anything for his Son.

I'll have a look at your Donation page in a minute...

I wish you the best, pics beginning/middle and end please :wink:
  14. A total masochist I think.

Thanks for your support.
  15. Pics will be posted.... try not to laugh too much at the incredible pain that will be etched into my face.

Please feel free to pass link to page to anyone you feel may be likely to donate.

Thanks for your interest.