Rumsfeld: Chavez Is Like Hitler

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Feb 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Associated Press.

US Sec. of Defense Donald Rumsfeld compared Venezuelan strongman Hugo Chavez to Hitler. He said that the analogy carried particular force considering that both Chavez and Hitler were elected.

"I mean, we've got Chavez in Venezuela with a lot of oil money," Rumsfeld added. "He's a person who was elected legally — just as Adolf Hitler was elected legally — and then consolidated power and now is, of course, working closely with Fidel Castro and Mr. Morales and others."

Rumsfeld Likens Chavez's Rise to Hitler
    Friday, February 03, 2006
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,183700,00.html

2. Have been following the election of Evo Morales in Bolivia quite closely off & on....

Find it highly entertaining that he and Hugo Chavez are courting Castro and generally doing what they can to piss off the Whitehouse.

Long may it continue.

Bush mouths off platitudes about supporting and even *cough* exporting *cough* democracy, but seems to have trouble when some freely elected peoples/parties dont support his administration views and obediently toe the US line.

3. The whole of S.America is turning Left.

4. Oooh, I can see a vacancy. Where's Little Ollie North when you need him?

5. On Fox news surprise surprise..

6. how can you follow something closely on and off ffs:?:

7. After the Hamas election win, I noticed a lot of US (and Israeli) commentators were banging on about Hitler coming to power via the ballot box, and what an awful person he was. This was of course, in response to questions that democracy is a sign of the will of the people and it's what you wanted, isn't it? Now we have the Rum one making the same analogy with Chavez.

Is this the latest US foreign policy initiative:
    1) If they're not democratic, we condemn and attack.
    2) If they are democratic, we draw parallels with Hitler, and then condemn and attack.

We all know that Hitler was a wee bit naughty. The Iranian President keeps getting flak for making comments suggesting the denial of the holocost. Surely, if denying such a things is considered unhelpful and evil, then trying to accuse somebody of being similar must be worse. What am I saying? Let's not jump on the band wagon and accuse Iran for spouting hot air - because that's all it is - when 'friends' closer to home are no better!

8. weyhey - and here comes Capt Pedantic...... way to go!!

Any minute now you''l be joined by your friends - the Spelling Police and Grammar Nazi's.

Meant follow it closely as in - search on news sites for updates, progress, what the latest is......... on/off as in not performing aforementioned searches every day.

Hope that makes you feel all warm and tingly now.

9. Venezelan Pres. Hugo Chavez announced that he is considering the organization of a large militia to supplement the regular armed forces.

This may begin with Venezuela's purchase of one million Kalashnikov automatic carbines from Russia.

"President wants to arm ‘one million’" 6 February 2006
    http://www.thedailyjournalonline.com/article.asp?ArticleId=223183&CategoryId=10717

1. I have read elsewhere that the Bush administration voiced strong exception to the Russian's earlier sale of one hundred thousand of these weapons to the Venezuelan government..

2. I have read elsewhere that Pres. Chavez has announced that Venezuela would jail American diplomats caught engaging in espionage.

3. I have mentioned on this board reports that Pres. Chavez has lately asserted that if his government is not left in peace from USA meddling then it would shut down the USA based Citgo refineries and sell crude oil and refined products that would have gone to the USA somewhere else.

10. on spam boards you get loads of venezalians whineing thats he's worse than hitler etc etc.
    they are the ones who can afford computers and education :? .
    chavez makes kilroy silk look trustworthy but he's survived one US inspired coup and dosn't belive the Us economic ideas are right for venezalia he's probably right there.

11. Rumsfeld calling someone Hitler ! Is this not the pot calling the kettle black ?

12. I once knew a Yank who had been in Brazil but his family escaped just before the tensions started hes glad now as its getting bad with the sanctions.

13. Is this a "known known" a "known unknown" or an "unknown unknown"? If the bloke wasn't so bloody dangerous he'd be a bigger clown than the shaved chimp. He's probably more upset that he hasn't been able to sell him a shed load of weopons like he did to a recently deposed former customer in a sandy place.

14. I think that, suprisingly, the answer might lie in two very associated things.

The first being that in 1991, Venezuela exported 1,667,000 barrels of oil to the US and this has dwindled to a mere 1,372,000 (2003) barrels and falling. It was and is no more (and probably won't be unless the country is 'liberated' the largest external supplier of oil to the US.

Not only that but Venezuela is buying arms and distributing them to 'anti-democracy' groups i.e. re-distribution of wealth, end to US dependancy.

Found this on a few US blogs:

Strange that a few have the same thoughts and the 'get tough' fits the ethos of a nation who finds dialogue and rebuttal difficult.

More fuel I hope,

P