Rumour control......

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by bigjarofwasps, Jun 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

Can anyone confirm this rumour for me.

I`ve been told that my unit won`t let anyone volunteeer to deply to Afganistan, until they`ve done a tour of Iraq. Has anyone else come across this or is it a purely Yeomanry thing?

2. Boll*ks
  3. WHAT a load of crap
  4. Sounds like they're trying to force you to do Iraq.
  5. It is a load of shite..
  6. Our unit's being pinged for Afghanistan and Kosovo at the moment, but not Iraq...I'd say you're being had.
  7. Thought it might be a pile of shit, to be honest. The cherry on the top was the biggest pile of steaming dog shit, when it was stated, that you can`t do a UN tour of Cyprus, until you`ve done Iraq & Afganistan. Like you`d want to waste 6 months of your life, with the UN in Cyprus!!!!

On a plus note, its nice to see that after all these years duty rumour is still on the ball :x
  8. Is it a Yeomanry thing? Hmmm.

BJoW, I had a dream about your question last night. It went like this:

Interior. Day. A sixtysomething man in uniform is spinning around and around on his chair, giggling. A knock is heard at the door. The spinning stops.

PSAO: Woo! That never gets old. [Louder] Come in!

A young man in British Army combat uniform enters the room, coming smartly to a halt and throwing up a millimetre-perfect salute.

PSAO (suspicious): LCpl BJoW, what do you want?

BJoW: I want to go to Afghanistan, sir.

PSAO: Great! Available for mobilisation, then? Right. Iraq it is!

BJoW: I want to go to Afghanistan.

PSAO: Er, no. The Royal Loamshire Yeomanry's affiliated unit, the 19th Heavy Dragoons, are about to go to Iraq. Not Afghanistan. Got it?

PSAO: The RLY, of which you are a serving member, is committed to provide the 19th HDs with a troop for OP TELIC 14. If you're available for mobilisation then that's where your regiment needs you to go.

PSAO: The 19th HDs are short of blokes. That's where the need is for fine yeomen like you. The RLY and 19th HDs need you in Iraq!

PSAO (getting a bit tetchy, although clearly he has been here before): Look. If you go with the 19th HDs, many of whom I have had dinner with, you stand a chance of doing a useful employment which remotely relates to your TA career. So: [pauses for effect] Iraq is where you're most needed and where you stand the best chance of doing something other than spending sixth months in a sangar.

BJoW: I want to go to Afghanistan. Shaggy from B Squadron is going to Afghanistan.

PSAO: Cpl Shagdust has done two tours in Iraq. He's a maniac. They've had enough of him over there. Plus he's done underwater knife-fighting, and you haven't. Iraq!

Exterior. A dusty airbase. A clapped-out airliner lands. BJoW emerges at the top of the stairs, and looks around.

BJoW: I don't like it. I want to go to Iraq.
  9. Like it Dr E.

Are you a PSAO by any chance?
  10. Makes for a good chuckle in the small hours.
  11. Argh! Not even remotely.

It's just that after years of study, I have got inside their mindset.
  12. You spend your drill nights spinning around in your chair? :D
  13. I wouldnt worry to much because that little war is going to be running for a while yet and you will get the oppotunity to go. I think that the TA is getting bored with Iraq as we have all done a tour there so now we what to have a tour of Afghanistan just to add to the collection!
  14. Dr E, I thought it was my PSAO except that he didn't finish the conversation with "Happy days!"
  15. Had a conversation with some general or other a while back .He was disapointed that their was absloutley no enthuasim for iraq .Everyone been there
    and afgan seems more of a winner.You try and run a war on volunteers
    if its not popular you dont get volunteers .