Rumour control......

Hi Guys,

Can anyone confirm this rumour for me.

I`ve been told that my unit won`t let anyone volunteeer to deply to Afganistan, until they`ve done a tour of Iraq. Has anyone else come across this or is it a purely Yeomanry thing?

BJOW.

Our unit's being pinged for Afghanistan and Kosovo at the moment, but not Iraq...I'd say you're being had.

Thought it might be a pile of shit, to be honest. The cherry on the top was the biggest pile of steaming dog shit, when it was stated, that you can`t do a UN tour of Cyprus, until you`ve done Iraq & Afganistan. Like you`d want to waste 6 months of your life, with the UN in Cyprus!!!!

On a plus note, its nice to see that after all these years duty rumour is still on the ball :x

Is it a Yeomanry thing? Hmmm.

BJoW, I had a dream about your question last night. It went like this:

Interior. Day. A sixtysomething man in uniform is spinning around and around on his chair, giggling. A knock is heard at the door. The spinning stops.

PSAO: Woo! That never gets old. [Louder] Come in!

A young man in British Army combat uniform enters the room, coming smartly to a halt and throwing up a millimetre-perfect salute.

PSAO (suspicious): LCpl BJoW, what do you want?

BJoW: I want to go to Afghanistan, sir.

PSAO: Great! Available for mobilisation, then? Right. Iraq it is!

BJoW: I want to go to Afghanistan.

PSAO: Er, no. The Royal Loamshire Yeomanry's affiliated unit, the 19th Heavy Dragoons, are about to go to Iraq. Not Afghanistan. Got it?

PSAO: The RLY, of which you are a serving member, is committed to provide the 19th HDs with a troop for OP TELIC 14. If you're available for mobilisation then that's where your regiment needs you to go.

PSAO: The 19th HDs are short of blokes. That's where the need is for fine yeomen like you. The RLY and 19th HDs need you in Iraq!

PSAO (getting a bit tetchy, although clearly he has been here before): Look. If you go with the 19th HDs, many of whom I have had dinner with, you stand a chance of doing a useful employment which remotely relates to your TA career. So: [pauses for effect] Iraq is where you're most needed and where you stand the best chance of doing something other than spending sixth months in a sangar.

BJoW: I want to go to Afghanistan. Shaggy from B Squadron is going to Afghanistan.

PSAO: Cpl Shagdust has done two tours in Iraq. He's a maniac. They've had enough of him over there. Plus he's done underwater knife-fighting, and you haven't. Iraq!

Exterior. A dusty airbase. A clapped-out airliner lands. BJoW emerges at the top of the stairs, and looks around.

BJoW: I don't like it. I want to go to Iraq.

Like it Dr E.

Are you a PSAO by any chance?

dingerr said:
Like it Dr E.

Are you a PSAO by any chance?
Argh! Not even remotely.

It's just that after years of study, I have got inside their mindset.

I wouldnt worry to much because that little war is going to be running for a while yet and you will get the oppotunity to go. I think that the TA is getting bored with Iraq as we have all done a tour there so now we what to have a tour of Afghanistan just to add to the collection!

Dr E, I thought it was my PSAO except that he didn't finish the conversation with "Happy days!"

BernardMcCabe said:
I wouldnt worry to much because that little war is going to be running for a while yet and you will get the oppotunity to go. I think that the TA is getting bored with Iraq as we have all done a tour there so now we what to have a tour of Afghanistan just to add to the collection!
Had a conversation with some general or other a while back .He was disapointed that their was absloutley no enthuasim for iraq .Everyone been there
and afgan seems more of a winner.You try and run a war on volunteers
if its not popular you dont get volunteers .

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Woody is partly right, regarding Volunteers - the other reason is Medals. Once you've been to Iraq, next time you'll want to go somewhere else, to get a different medal. Sounds stupid (particularly to Regs) but it's one of the main causes identified by those who are interested in this sort of thing :) Fact.

I would have thought that the reason Afghanistan is more popular than Iraq for volunteers is that Afghanistan is perceived to be more of a "conventional" war with an enemy that is more easily engaged, whereas Iraq is more like a N.I. policing situation. It does seem, from what coverage there is on the news that Afghanistan is beginning to turn more towards Iraqs style of suicide bombers etc. though.

I think it is all to do with seeking out new challenges and gaining new experiences. Oh, and a second medal helps ;)

msr

Napoleon Bonaparte said:
A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of coloured ribbon.
But what if he already has the ribbon, Boney? Eh? Didn't think about that, did ya, you pint-sized megalomaniac?