Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rum

During our 3 year stay on Barbados I was weaned of Whiskey and on to Rum.
Mount Gay Eclipse good everyday
Mount Gay Black no longer available but very good. Replaced by Black Barrel, okay ish.
MG XO Mmmmmmmm!!
Anything from Foursquare is dogs dangly bits.
St Nicholas Abbey is excellent.
Cockspur is shite
Appletons, and any Guyanese rum especially El Dorado is good.
Stroh is unadulterated horse piss.

All IMO.

oldbaldy

LE

oldbaldy

LE
Son in Law is a rum drinker, bought him a Pussers Gunpowder Proof for his Christmas stocking:

Couldn't agree less, if you've run out of meths, there is nothing better than Stroh 80!
I remember trying that in Germany after someone bought a bottle from the Natex. Utterly gopping, would have been better used cleaning the cooker

I have been drinking Flor de Cana rum , its Nicaraguan and new to the uk I think , I have not seen it anywhere but my local co op is selling it for £16-17 . Its very smooth and vanilla like and it's all fair trade etc.
Very very nice for the price and I presume its low compared to online because they want to build up a following before bumping up the price in a year or two. I found that was what happened with the Bulleit brand bourbons and whisky, they were around €18 a bottle then after 18 months went up to £25 or so and now nearer £30.
Just yo be clear , this us the regular rum and not one if the 12 year old bottles.
It's really worth a try and very different to traditional dark rums. Also it doesnt appear to give you a bad head really !

I have been drinking Flor de Cana rum , its Nicaraguan and new to the uk I think , I have not seen it anywhere but my local co op is selling it for £16-17 . Its very smooth and vanilla like and it's all fair trade etc.
Very very nice for the price and I presume its low compared to online because they want to build up a following before bumping up the price in a year or two. I found that was what happened with the Bulleit brand bourbons and whisky, they were around €18 a bottle then after 18 months went up to £25 or so and now nearer £30.
Just yo be clear , this us the regular rum and not one if the 12 year old bottles.
It's really worth a try and very different to traditional dark rums. Also it doesnt appear to give you a bad head really !
Not a bad rum by any means. The only issue I have with Nicaraguan rum is that they permit the addition of sugar, not in itself a bad thing but not to my taste.

CaptainCowpat

Old-Salt
Not a bad rum by any means. The only issue I have with Nicaraguan rum is that they permit the addition of sugar, not in itself a bad thing but not to my taste.
I think nearly all add sugar now, there's a list knocking around from Finland where all added sugar must be legally declared. I'll have a dig. Quite an eye opener

I think nearly all add sugar now, there's a list knocking around from Finland where all added sugar must be legally declared. I'll have a dig. Quite an eye opener
I seem to recall that Jamaica and Bim legislate against it. Appletons, Mount Gay, Foursquare, Old Brigand (my rum of choice with cola), Cockspur all have no sugar added to adjust the flavour and have less than 3g/ltr naturally occurring.

Last edited:
Son in Law is a rum drinker, bought him a Pussers Gunpowder Proof for his Christmas stocking:
It's 50% more expensive and 50% higher in alcohol than the Blue Label but tastes little different.

Last edited:

oldbaldy

LE
When I gave him
It's 50% more expensive and 50% higher in alcohol than the Blue Label but tastes little different.
When I gave him he told me a mate of his has it as drink of choice. Said mate is an ex sundogger.

When I gave him

When I gave him he told me a mate of his has it as drink of choice. Said mate is an ex sundogger.
It's a great rum (I'm having one as we speak) but I think I'll stick with the Blue Label and spend the difference trying others :)

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Is this a big Co-op? I don't have a big one near me, only crappy village ones.

P.S. Havana Club Añejo Especial is £5 off at M&S at the moment
Hmm... there's two Co-op's nearby, one small one large - might have to go on a Rum-seeking expedition.
Is it the white or the black Rum that's on offer?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Just had a bottle of Spytail turn up....
Might have to have a taste or two later

Latest Threads