Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rum

I'll speak to the old man.
He's got a bottle of Rum that's about 110% proof with a warning not to leave in direct sunlight or smoke while drinking it.

I'll find out what it is.
Sounds like Wray & Nephew, that stuff will **** you up...

RUM TERMINOLOGY​

Picture

GROG = Traditionally, two parts water, one part rum.

TOT = One eighth of a pint of rum, the standard daily ration.

WETTERS = Just enough to wet your lips

SIPPERS = A small mouthfull of a friends tot in payment of a favour or debt.

GULPERS = One big swallow of a friends tot in payment of a favour or debt.

NEATERS = Rum without water.

SANDY BOTTOMS = A rare privilege, being invited to see off a friends entire tot.

THE FRAMEWORK OF HOSPITALITY = 2 Wetters = 1 Sippers
2 Sippers = 1 Gulpers
2 Gulpers = 1 Sandy Bottoms

WHY 'GROG' ANYWAY? = This is attributed to Admiral Vernon who was nicknamed "Old Grogham" after the boatcloak that he wore. He first ordered this dilution process on the West Indies Station in 1740. When rum was diluted, the mixture would not keep for very long and so (in theory) could not be hoarded. Neaters was only issued to POs and CPO's and lasted longer than grog.

Rum diluted two to one that, until that black day, 31st July 1970, was issued to ratings of Killick and below. It was not issued to those marked in the Victualling Book as UA (Under Age) or T (Temperance), the latter receiving an allowance of 3d per day in lieu of a tot.

THANKS: The above infor'mation was researched with the help of the book JACKSPEAK by Rick Jolly & Tugg Wilson and Mike, a friend of the Web Bosun who served as a 'Pressure-Head'.
I've seen "Wetters" & "Sandy Bottoms" referred to as "Lighters" & "Grounders" respectively.
"Tots were the principal currency of the lower deck. If you did a man a small favour he might offer you "lighters", which was the barest wetting of your lips in his rum. If you did him a slightly larger favour he might offer you "sippers". A larger favour still would bring you "gulpers" and a very big favour might, if you were lucky, bring you "grounders", which was the whole tot. There was a regular table - 'two lighters, one sipper; two sippers, one gulper; two gulpers, one grounders'. Nothing short of saving a man's life in the most desperate conditions would bring you 'grounders'" - JPW Mallalieu "Very Ordinary Seaman", 1944. An absolute classic of the RN in WW2 & thoroughly recommended.

A few weeks ago, I was in Lidl, and thought I'd get a bottle of cooking rum for a final nightcap, on the odd night.

Captain Cook...... £9.99 a bottle.

It used to be blacker than a priest's sock, that vile oily crap from Guyana.

Well, they've changed it, now it's as light coloured as most whiskies, smooth and sweet....... certainly not on a par with Mount Gay or Appletons, but it's drinkable, and the lack of hangover means it's not full of the crippling "tails" of the really gash stuff.

philc

LE
The wife made Tiramisu but was out of Orange Grand Marnier, so she used rum, dark for the drinking off, one pint to be exact and very nice it was to, its simple to make I recommend it.

jmb3296

War Hero
The wife made Tiramisu but was out of Orange Grand Marnier, so she used rum, dark for the drinking off, one pint to be exact and very nice it was to, its simple to make I recommend it.
Could I trouble you for the whole recipe.

Thank you in advance

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I've been a spiced rum drinker for many years and the last year or so have started moving over to dark rums. Many have been meh, some have been excellent.
A few of my favourites have already been mentioned.......

Zacapa, Guatemalan rum .....definitely top of the list, absolutely lovely.
A bottle arrived yesterday - celebrated the clocks going back with it (well, I needed a reason - couldn't just drink it willy-nilly.....)
Lovely and smooth, the flavour hangs around at the back of your mouth but not for too long.
Expensive, but good value in my opinion.
Now what to celebrate today? Oh, maybe one less Monday to work - yep, that'll do!

philc

LE
This is close, she lets the biscuits soak longer, in more rum, start out following the recipe and increase if you like.

Just ordered a bottle of Arrack. Made from palm flower sugars in Sri Lanka and closest to rum I found there. Will report on taste/effect when it arrives. My experience of it was chasing an escaped flip flop up and down Bentota beach at 3 in the morning then waking up in the hotel room with my salty/sandy clothes stuck to the walls and me like a crumpled crisp packet on the bed. I was a little delicate but revived by another one at lunch.
The loss of 8 hours of my conscious life some 38 years ago was a gap I needed to fill. I shouldn't have bothered. The younger me was obviously less discerning. First sniff of the open bottle reminder me of rough brandy. A neat sip burned on the tongue and all the way down the gullet, festering for a few minutes in the stomach. The aftertaste was bitter with a musty finish. Maybe mixing it would improve the taste? No. Ice and water cut the burn but only revealed the less than optimal flavour. OJ masked it somewhat but left a lingering bitterness. I had to scrub my tongue when I did my teeth. The only positive thing I have to say about it is that is the ideal drink to get rid of unwanted guests. I'm going to mix the remainder with acetone for cleaning black powder residue out of my guns. One for the 'don't ****ing bother' list.

jmb3296

War Hero
This is close, she lets the biscuits soak longer, in more rum, start out following the recipe and increase if you like.

I thank You.
It shall be attempted this weekend

How is the dead man's fingers? I've always walked past thinking it was a own brand kraken type stuff or heavily flavoured pop stuff?
Dead Man's Fingers is very nice. There are many flavours but I only know the classic & the coffee. The classic tastes to me like what I imagine you'd get if you dissolved a fruit cake in rum - it's taste is like fruit, strong orangey, citrus notes.
The coffee is like Tia Maria for grown ups, lovely colour, good but not overpowering coffee flavour.

CaptainCowpat

Old-Salt
Dead Man's Fingers is very nice. There are many flavours but I only know the classic & the coffee. The classic tastes to me like what I imagine you'd get if you dissolved a fruit cake in rum - it's taste is like fruit, strong orangey, citrus notes.
The coffee is like Tia Maria for grown ups, lovely colour, good but not overpowering coffee flavour.

Sounds great! Is it a chemically flavour or something decent? I've only gone off the daft bottle design so automatically stuck it in with Dooley's toffee vodka etc, a tad harshly it sounds too

Last edited:
Sounds great! Is it a chemically flavour or something decent? I've only gone off the daft bottle design so automatically stuck it in with Dooley's toffee vodka etc, a tad harshly it sounds too
It's very pleasant. The labelling is a bit de trop but the actual product is very nice. The flavour doesn't seem to me to be synthetic. We have 3 rums generally in stock - Kraken, DMF & Lamb's spiced for mixing. Recently we also had Bundaberg which wasn't as nice as I remember it, mind you there are different varieties within the brand.
Lamb's Spiced is most convivial, light & with caramel & vanilla notes, slightly sweet to my taste but good with mixers.
Somebody upthread mentioned Gosling's Black Seal, I can confirm that it's excellent on its own but Gosling's also make a ginger beer to mix with it in what the RN call a "Dark & Stormy". This is very good indeed & Mrs F-M says she had one once with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in which she raved about!

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
How is the dead man's fingers? I've always walked past thinking it was a own brand kraken type stuff or heavily flavoured pop stuff?

don't try the hemp one.

1604775336031.png

As promised up thread, I have spent the last 5 nights having a taste of each of the above Rums.
I deliberately did not read the tasting notes beforehand but made my own and then compared them afterwards. All the Rums were tasted neat without ice or mixers.

In ascending order (obviously my personal opinioin)

Goslings. Not a big fan, it tasted like cough medicine.
Black Tot.
Hampden. The next two are grouped together, both were over proof at 46% volume. They tasted OK but would probably have been better with a mixer. Some fruityness in both Rums.
Fleur de Cana 18YO. Very nice smooth Rum, not too sweet and a definate oaky finish from 18 years in the barrell. Would definately buy a full bottle, but it is expensive.
El Dorado 12 YO. Far and away the stand out Rum from this tasting set. Very smooth and an excellent fruity aftertaste that lingered. Will be buying a bottle for Christmas.

Thanks to all the info and recommendations in the thread.
I now bow to @Ravers who recommended El Dorado way back in post #3. No surprise that a member of the Senior Service knows a thing or two about Rum!

Jonnynoname

War Hero
remember we got Rum rations when it got cold. only remember it happening a couple of times. The Gun No1 was shit faced up in the turret as we drove on a night move. He got a bottle & i remember we were in the back of the M109 drinking but he of course drunk much more. was funny. liked his booze anyway.

If you're a fan of chocolate, as I am, then I thoroughly recommend Project #173 Chocolate Rum.
It's very much like Baileys but without all the sickly creaminess. A lovely drink to just sip with some ice. Definitely going to try some of Project #173's other offerings.

remember we got Rum rations when it got cold. only remember it happening a couple of times. The Gun No1 was shit faced up in the turret as we drove on a night move. He got a bottle & i remember we were in the back of the M109 drinking but he of course drunk much more. was funny. liked his booze anyway.
I walked into the cook tent one snow covered winters morning in Germany, for my late breakfast (Radio stag), and spied a bottle Lambs Navy Rum on the table. “Morning Chef, who’s is that?” says I.
Chef says “Morning mate. RQ says we can each have a rum ration cos of the fxxking cold”
“Nice one, can I have some? I ain’t had any yet” says I.
Chef says “Course mate, help yourself, I’ll get your grub”
“Cheers mate, banjo will do me” says I. I then pick up the bottle and neck about 4 mouthfuls. As I feel that stuff burn all the way down my throat and burn festering at the bottom of my empty stomach, I say “shite that burns!”
Chef says “You twat, you’re only supposed to put a single measure in your brew, not neck half the fxcking bottle”
“Sorry mate” says I, “You said help yourself “

Latest Threads