Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rum

I've been a spiced rum drinker for many years and the last year or so have started moving over to dark rums. Many have been meh, some have been excellent.
A few of my favourites have already been mentioned.......

Zacapa, Guatemalan rum .....definitely top of the list, absolutely lovely.
Old J Tiki Fire, lovely spiced rum but feck me, be careful with it.
Ableforth's Rumbullion, really nice spiced rum in a nice bottle.
Plantation rums are very nice too. A bottle of Fiji didnt last too long.
Bumbu rum, I remember being an enjoyable drink too.

Like malts, there are so many rums to try and I'll probably spend the rest of my life working my way through them.

I've been a spiced rum drinker for many years and the last year or so have started moving over to dark rums. Many have been meh, some have been excellent.

Like malts, there are so many rums to try and I'll probably spend the rest of my life working my way through them.
You bugger! :p Will have to source a bottle of the Zacapa as I have not tried that one. Not sure if I can get a bottle of the Zacapa Royal past Mrs Shint Arrse though.

The cheapest I've seen Zacapa is 52 quid. Got a slightly wrinkly brow when I mentioned the Arrack, so subterfuge is the watchword. May have to sell something that won't be missed (no, not me willy).

Bumbu is that a navy rum ;) :D

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

You bugger! the Zacapa link gives me a 'subscribe & save' option..... I'll have to drink a bottle every two months now.... :rolleyes:

Zacapa certainly needs exploring, as does Plantation. This thread could get expensive!

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Zacapa certainly needs exploring, as does Plantation. This thread could get expensive!
Some of the Plantation rums are on Amazon, I could have bottles of each on alternate months....
I remember the Plantation white rum was a daytime favourite on a holiday in Barbados a good few years ago, well, when I say remember, I was told. Repeatedly. On the flight home. Two days after getting home, I was on a flight back to Afghan, with a bottle in my bergen - we were flying from Lynham in those days so there was more concern about unrestrained Gerbers than bottles of rum.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Just found a bottle of Red Leg spiced rum behind my extensive depleted gin collection.
Very sippable if you like vanilla

Some of the Plantation rums are on Amazon, I could have bottles of each on alternate months....
I remember the Plantation white rum was a daytime favourite on a holiday in Barbados a good few years ago, well, when I say remember, I was told. Repeatedly. On the flight home. Two days after getting home, I was on a flight back to Afghan, with a bottle in my bergen - we were flying from Lynham in those days so there was more concern about unrestrained Gerbers than bottles of rum.
The Plantation 5 year old is very drinkable and well priced.
I'm most of the way through a bottle of Woods 100 Navy so will be looking for a replacement this weekend (meaning tomorrow morning).

ZW Clanger

Old-Salt
I’m partial to a Dead Mans Fingers myself - first discovered in Cornwall and I’ve had many happy times with a glass of that tipple in my hand

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I had a chat with them at the Great Portland Street Whisky Exchange shop when they had a tasting on, rum's the only stuff they don't distil themselves iirc and the price point is v good for the quality.
Turns out that the stuff in the (hideously garish) new bottle is on a par.

@History_Man seemed to think so, at least. There's very little left.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It was outstanding and I am not normally a rum drinker. Btw, I owe you a bottle.
It'll come out in the wash, I'm sure.

It is good, though; a couple of friends I've introduced you to have been converted by that stuff.

(And I don't just mean into gabbling idiots; I was fair whacked by the drunk stick the other week...)

It'll come out in the wash, I'm sure.

It is good, though; a couple of friends I've introduced you to have been converted by that stuff.

(And I don't just mean into gabbling idiots; I was fair whacked by the drunk stick the other week...)

I wasn't too bad, but I made sure that I had a KFC Original Recipe meal as my Sunday dinner.

Latest Threads