Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rum

No longer available on the company's own website - I hope that it comes back, as it was bloody good.

I've just ordered this. Let's see how it compares.
I had a chat with them at the Great Portland Street Whisky Exchange shop when they had a tasting on, rum's the only stuff they don't distil themselves iirc and the price point is v good for the quality.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Mount Gay rum, just for the comedy value of the name.

Get the t shirt too, for good measure.

it's actually a rather nice rum

I'd also look at

dead mans fingers (not the hemp one as that's rank)

Pussers Gunpowder

Woods 100

Kraken

Hicks 128

appleton estate

I can't believe we're almost at the bottom of the 2nd page and Pusser's hasn't been mentioned. The Blue Label (40%) is definitely my rum of choice, with the Gunpowder Proof (54.5%) pretty cheeky if you want to slip someone up. I recently found the much more expensive, but worth the money 15yo (40%) which has a real 'after dinner' quality about it.

The above. Or Four Bells is a nice Rum.
1602618086114.png

I have just ordered this taster set.

I have a friend coming up at the end of the month (Covid permitting) and will try them then.

I'll speak to the old man.
He's got a bottle of Rum that's about 110% proof with a warning not to leave in direct sunlight or smoke while drinking it.

I'll find out what it is.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I had a chat with them at the Great Portland Street Whisky Exchange shop when they had a tasting on, rum's the only stuff they don't distil themselves iirc and the price point is v good for the quality.
I had a mate over a few months back and he's a committed whisky man. I offered him a glass, and he swore blind he wasn't going to like it.

Half a bottle later...

Couldn't agree more. Excellent rum for the price.

Let's see what the new one's like.

No longer available on the company's own website - I hope that it comes back, as it was bloody good.

I've just ordered this. Let's see how it compares.
There's 1 left at the MoM link - I'd buy it but rum isn't my thing and I've already bought aforementioned nephew a Bellevue Distillery 19yr old 50cl bottle - which cost a packet, hope it's good.

I had a mate over a few months back and he's a committed whisky man. I offered him a glass, and he swore blind he wasn't going to like it.

Half a bottle later...

Couldn't agree more. Excellent rum for the price.

Let's see what the new one's like.
I did enjoy it but TBH, the girl doing the chat/selling could have sold me any old bollocks and I'd not have minded.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
There's 1 left at the MoM link - I'd buy it but rum isn't my thing and I've already bought aforementioned nephew a Bellevue Distillery 19yr old 50cl bottle - which cost a packet, hope it's good.
I'm not paying £45. I like Diplomatico just as much and I can get it for less than that.

I'd also look at

Pussers Gunpowder

Woods 100

Kraken

Hicks 128

appleton estate
Blimey, I didn't know Hicks 128 was still available.

I have some lovely memories from my younger years of getting absolutely paralytic on that.

Also used to carry it in my hip flask for years, as a little bit goes a long way.

For those who haven’t tried it, it is really strong at over 71% alcohol by volume.

I drank rather a lot of Capt. Morgans with coke down in the Falklands a few years back. I don't know if that's the equivalent of drinking Bells whisky or not, but it put me off rum for some time. Which is why I now want to try some better quality rums that don't need to be swamped in coke. I am sure there are some good spiced rums out there and would welcome any recommendations.

A quick word in your ear.

If you are going to invest in some decent rums get a £9.99 bottle from LIDL as well.

Then when some philistine Paddy woman staying at your house decides she wants a rum and coke give her the cheap shit. Don't let her flush your decent rum down her gullet with coke.

Tried a bottle of this Dominican earlier in the year: pretty good, but then le local started stocking Pusser's after many requests, and haven't looked back. There's also an 18yo and 23yo available.

Matusalem Gran Reserva

1602620286328.png

How about this one from The Jacobite spirits company

Last edited:

jmb3296

War Hero
I have just ordered this taster set.

I have a friend coming up at the end of the month (Covid permitting) and will try them then.

that’s my Christmas pressie suggestion for me to my youngest sorted. Thank you for your dedication and research on this subject.
it will be very much appreciated.

I have to confess that I cannot believe any spiced rum is made with decent rum.

If there is one then some poor old bastard in the West indies must be in tears, having worked his bollox off to knock out a decent drop and then seen some mong lob a handful of cinnamon, cloves and bits of wood ito it.

There's a Peaky Blinders rum that isn't too bad or Barti Ddu spiced rum from Pembrokeshire if you fancy something a bit different.
It goes down very easily.

I'd also look at

Pussers Gunpowder

Woods 100

Kraken

Hicks 128

appleton estate
My Dads.
A pint of Mild and a double 100'eds.
"Pig in shit".

I'd also look at

Pussers Gunpowder

Woods 100

Kraken

Hicks 128

appleton estate
My Dads.
A pint of Mild and a double 100'eds.
"Pig in shit".

ps.
I popped into his local to tell him of the birth of my first son.
Blood and sand, it cost me a bit, old buggers all.

Latest Threads