Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rum

I have put this here so it is in the same forum as the whisky thread.
I have started taking a liking to rum, specifically dark rum.
I know very little about rum and would like to learn. I have been drinking and learning about whisky for years and enjoy hearing what other people have to say and I am hoping this thread will shed some light on rum for me.
So far I have invested in a 7 yo Havana Club and a 12 y o Flor de Cana. Both are nice but the 12 yo is better (no surprises there). I am looking for sipping rums that I will drink over ice without mixers.
I notice like whisky, rum can be aged in previously used barrells, this will obviously affect the flavour and I will have to try a few to see what's what!
Does anyone have some pointers or recommendations for me to try?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
When I was a drinker El Dorado was my rum of choice.

I discovered it on holiday in Guyana, Aldi occasionally have it in the special buys section, otherwise fairly hard to come by in the U.K.

It’s won loads of awards and is widely regarded as one of the best rums in the world. Available in various ages ranging from 5 to 45 years old, with prices to match.

OVD was the rum of choice in Fraserburgh when I was a lad but 17 miles down the road In Peterhead it was Watsons both supped with camp coffee every bar had a large thermos of camp coffee sitting on the bar

Stroh 80 is the one.

A slight kick, but lovely flavour when at body temp from a flask.
Austrian rum! Who knew?
I will have to try it.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
When I was a drinker El Dorado was my rum of choice.

I assume you didn't give up the bum and baccy/gramophone?

The only time I passed out cold was on Woods 100. I've never been able to stomach the smell of the horrid sugary stuff since.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Further to my last regarding El Dorado. Apparently the climate in Guyana means the rum ages twice as quickly.

So a 10 year old Guyanese rum is equivalent to a 20 year old Jamaican rum.

Also worth noting that rum from Spanish speaking countries has different rules regarding age.

The age is taken from the oldest barrel used in the blend. So something that’s 10 years old, may contain just 10% 10 year old rum and 90% 1 year old rum.

Rum from English speaking countries (Guyana being one) does it the other way round, with the youngest barrel in the blend being the age.

So in a 10 year aged rum, you know every drop is at least 10 years old, with some of it possibly older.

I know very little about rum and would like to learn. I have been drinking and learning about whisky for years and enjoy hearing what other people have to say and I am hoping this thread will shed some light on rum for me.
So far I have invested in a 7 yo Havana Club and a 12 y o Flor de Cana. Both are nice but the 12 yo is better (no surprises there). I am looking for sipping rums that I will drink over ice without mixers.
I notice like whisky, rum can be aged in previously used barrells, this will obviously affect the flavour and I will have to try a few to see what's what!
If you're ever near Notting Hill, find a bar called Trailer Happiness.

Ask for Sergio*.

He will talk about rum until you die of old age; it would be hard to find someone more knowledgeable about it than him.

*lovely bloke, but don't talk politics to him. He thinks Corbyn was too far to the right. I'm not joking.

Further to my last regarding El Dorado. Apparently the climate in Guyana means the rum ages twice as quickly.

So a 10 year old Guyanese rum is equivalent to a 20 year old Jamaican rum.

Also worth noting that rum from Spanish speaking countries has different rules regarding age.

The age is taken from the oldest barrel used in the blend. So something that’s 10 years old, may contain just 10% 10 year old rum and 90% 1 year old rum.

Rum from English speaking countries (Guyana being one) does it the other way round, with the youngest barrel in the blend being the age.

So in a 10 year aged rum, you know every drop is at least 10 years old, with some of it possibly older.
Looks like El Dorado is on my shopping list.

If that's good, I may have to ask Santa for this one.

Good topic - it's undergone the same marketing and quality change the Whisky went through in 90s. So lots of single estate stuff out there.

I bought a bottle for my nephew but ended up not giving it to him because his mum had bought a bottle of rum and didn't want to give him something nominally better. So I drank it..great over the winter...

Last edited:
Remember getting an issue of Rum, after a pig of night on Soltau once. I came back with pint of the stuff in a mug to discover most of troop had dossed down for night, so, transmission decks up, tarp over the top, engine still running, 3 of us polished the lot off, warm as toast, all outer garments off and dried out. Slept very well that night.

I have drunk many things over the years - with, shall we say varying results. I cannot drink rum. It makes me behave in a strange manner. Indeed the (now Group Captain) Junior RAF Officer who acted as my main Developed Vetting reference (at school together, long time mates and he was my Best Man) even told the vetting officer 'he's ok when he gets drunk, gets very serious, then boring, then goes to sleep - as long as he stays off the rum!

I have stayed off the rum for the last 30 years - I wish you luck but beware!

If you have developed the taste for dark rums then Goslings Black Seal should be top of your list for trying.

I discover rum a few years ago on holiday in Bermuda. I really got the taste for Goslings Golden Rum.

Basically anything over £20/bottle is pretty drinkable. maybe not so much Appletons though.

There are some very pricy rums, pretty much as there are very pricy malts and even blended whiskies. Have fun trying them.

Re a post above, rum is very popular in eastern Europe, I have bought rum in Germany and Czechoslovakia.

Stroh 80 is the one.

A slight kick, but lovely flavour when at body temp from a flask.
I can still remember chugging the equivalent of several shots at once when I was 17 cos I was hard.
I nearly passed out.

Remember getting an issue of Rum, after a pig of night on Soltau once. I came back with pint of the stuff in a mug to discover most of troop had dossed down for night, so, transmission decks up, tarp over the top, engine still running, 3 of us polished the lot off, warm as toast, all outer garments off and dried out. Slept very well that night.

That would've made an interesting Stand To.

Hang on, armour you say...?

Latest Threads