Rules on wearing minatures on Mess Dress

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by hurryupandwait, Mar 26, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone give me the definitive answer to this one:

Have just returned from Bosnia and I need to know if I can get a minature of the EUFOR medal and wear it on my mess dress. Although the medal itself has not been approved yet by HM, can you still wear it on your Mess Dress? People say that you can wear it on your Mess Dress as this does not offically count as uniform and you can wear any medal on it.

Incidently, does anyone know who sells minature EUFOR medals in SE England?
  2. Bit late with the reply, but you can buy them on-line from for a tenner, not sure about the mess dress issue, if you have any more info let me know, thanxs
  3. Sorry I don't know the answer ref the EUFOR medal. Just on what people have told you about Mess Dress not being uniform so you can wear what you like on it; have seen that said in several threads here lately, but it doesnt really make sense to me. Just because you have to buy it yourself, the same is true of other dress items but that doesnt mean it isnt uniform. It is worn for various forms of duty, and the pattern is laid down in Regs. If people can wear any miniature they like with mess kit, why not go the whole hog and wear rank insignia they arent entitled to?

No disrespect whatever to your EUFOR medal - congrats on that - but I wouldnt personally wear it unless/until approved for wearing. I would at least check first with the Adjt or RSM.
  4. The rules for medals on Mess Kit are the same as for other medals so if it's approved by some war dodging civil servant in MOD who would faint at the first whiff of cordite in the air, then you can wear it. The question should be why the hell would anyone want to wear a European Soviet Union Medal? I have my own cunning plan for a united Europe... it's called Greater England!
  5. Yes I can

6. You can buy the medal online from who will post it to you. I have used them in the past and found the service very fast.

I think that the minature medal that you are looking for is here EUFOR Medal

As you will see they state that "No permission has yet been granted for the wearing of this medal."

Hope that helps.