rules on kit DPM?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by McRock, May 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are there strict rules on kit having to be British DPM? I haven't heard any, but then the subject has never really been raised around me. I've discovered the patrol pack of my dreams (NOT a top down packing system where I have to empty it to get to the less likely to use but invariabley required items for one reason or another!) but it doesn't appear to be made in our native camouflage scheme.

view here if you need to:

I'm really not a fan of the wierd 'digital' pattern empolyed across the oceon, so will sergeants start busting capilaries if I rock up with an Olive Green variant, and if it HAS to be DPM, will it be a total waste of my time and money (and personal taste!) by investing in the American DPM version?
  2. I'd be more concerned as to whether it has the right IRR properties than what pattern the fabric has.
  3. looks like bugoutgear

why not buy the green one and put a bergan cover over it?
  4. Whats wrong with a standard 30litre patrol pack?
  5. well it doesn't mention anything about that... sucks to the be that sack I guess...

Lets pretend for a moment it does though: how many press ups am I going to belting out for not turning up to exercise with a correctly DPM'd piece of kit, if any?

Does IRR coating lose it's edge over time or through wear and tear?

What's wrong with the 30l patrol pack? It's top down storage, which means rummaging/removing of all the kit to get to desired item=x. It's hard to describe but basically this one flaps the back down like a couple of russian types I've seen, it means you can open it up, remove the wotnot you need, and close it up with out wasting time digging. It's just personal preference... also, currently we're only using rocket packs on yokes... and they're ultra-rubbish as patrol packs go in my eyes.
  6. bugoutgear's stuff isn't as molle-able. I like the bergen cover idea though, just to get one small enough for a patrol pack....
  7. Depends on your Coc really .If the big badge has words about your gaysac you know its not allowed.Best off going you green or dpm.
  8. Please tell me that is a wah? :cry:
  9. Actually no - he's right. Fundamentally most camouflage patterns are as effective as each other. As long as colours, density and luminescence are the same, the pattern make no difference. Commerical kit rarely, if ever, has the correct, if any, IRR quality. As a result, when viewed through a night site such as CWS, it glows like Blackpool illuminations making you a fantastic target! Issue kit has been specifically designed to be as camouflaged in the near-IR as the visual wavebands so it blends in properly.

A lot of people think this doesn't matter in ops cos the bad guys don't have night sights (are you sure?). Unfortunately a video camera with low-light capability is quite effective as a night viewing aid even if you cannot use it as a sight.

Long story short - it may be boring but use the issue kit cos its designed to do the job you need rather than meet some spurious fashion trend. I appreciate the 30l day sack has problems with Osprey compatability which is why we are replacing it on Ops but at least it won't let you be seen.
  10. IMO any soldier whose first concern when buying a daysack is its IRR qualities is a soldier who is scared shitless of going on operations. The sort who would welcome osprey leggings.
  11. I suppose it must look ally more than anything else eh? ;)
  12. Not really. Being the correct size with enough compartments and the ability to fit a camelbak inner fits the bill more. A Camelbak Motherlode fits the bill perfectly. Whether it is visible to the enemy or not is irrelevant to me and everyone I know. The only people who think they can become invisible to the enemy are those who have never fought the enemy. :wink: